[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you can't motivate yourself to learn a language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

>tfw you can't motivate yourself to learn a language
>tfw you can't even pretend to
>>
>>73530597
I know Spanish and English, I tried to learn German but I forgot, it's been a long ass time. Also Russian is IMPOSSIBLE to learn when you know English as a first language, you speak Russian for a while than automatically switch to English out of confusion.
>>
>>73530628
Why is Russian IMPOSSIBLE to learn?
>>
>>73530661
When I speak Russian I automatically switch to English. I can't help it, I get confused. Same shit happens with my father, who knew Russian because he lived in Soviet Russia. But when he speaks Russians he automatically switches to English now.
>>
>>73530661
Oh yeah you're the one to talk.

Greek is pretty oak nuggins though, I speak two Slav languages natively and also Spanish, elliniká so far looks exactly like a mix of those two. Even the phonology is basically Spanish with a Russian accent.

By the way, have you ever seen a foreigner speak Greek at near-native fluency or should I basically give up on that as a goal right away?
>>
It's too much effort to learn a second language while in an Anglophone country unless you are in an area with a minority language or have family that speak the language.

Language is hard to acquire in isolation, English is probably the only exception because it is gaining ubiquity in global culture.
>>
>>73530809
>Language is hard to acquire in isolation

Not particularly unless it's really obscure.

>It's too much effort to learn a second language while in an Anglophone country unless you are in an area with a minority language or have family that speak the language.

I sure hope you didn't just pull the classic "it's not USEFUL" pleb opinion.
>>
>>73530725
I see. I don't see but whatever.

>>73530757
>have you ever seen a foreigner speak Greek at near-native fluency

What, like a foreigner that didn't grow up here? I'm not sure it's even humanly possible. Maybe if you're some kind of freak of nature or popping some good nootropics.
Even native Greeks that have gone through higher education falter from time to time. My father couldn't figure out how to conjugate the verb for "explode" a while ago, and he's monolingual.
Also, Greek language resources on the internet are S H I T.
>>
>>73531047
Whether it's useful or not depends on personal circumstance.

It probably isn't useful for 90% of the population of the Anglosphere, but that doesn't change how it's learnt though.
>>
>>73530597
>had Spanish and French classes for 3 years each
>can only read a bit of each language
>Norwegian, Swedish, Faroese and Icelandic is barely different from Danish
>could probably easily learn them if I bothered

Guess I should pick up one of these
>>
>>73531500
Learning something because it's easy is like... not to be sexist, but that's a very feminine way of approaching things.

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>73531606
dont you have some drachma to hide under your bed, Petros?
>>
>>73531145
Being monolingual doesn't necessarily mean being good at your only language, though.

>Also, Greek language resources on the internet are S H I T.

Even FSI? That's what I went with.
>>
>>73531724
>Being monolingual doesn't necessarily mean being good at your only language, though.
I'd argue in fact the opposite.
>>
>>73532024
Going by my experience, yeah, I suppose there is a correlation. I can usually predict how good a monolingual's language learning effort is going to go from how good they are at their mother tongue, never really fails.
>>
>>73531637
cmon bby don't b like that call me *dickpic*

>>73531724
I think I took a look at that in the past and didn't like it. If you want to know how syntax *actually* works in modern Greek, like word order and shit, you're fucked. I was born and raised here and I don't understand how anyone speaks this shit. I was bored a while ago, took a simple SVO sentence, and swapped the words around, adding or removing articles and question marks where needed, and I think I got a couple of dozen different sentences meaning slightly different things or implying different things. And the difference a lot of the time wasn't obvious until I read it out loud. I can't imagine a foreign speaker adapting his thought patterns to work like that desu, especially when you'll have shit textbooks and shit tutors that don't know how to teach the language. Maybe massive, long term exposure would help but I don't know. Busy now, bye.
>>
>>73532180
I have a cheat code for the word order shit: I'm a native Russian speaker m8 ;)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.