[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>In English, swear words and curse words tend to have Germanic,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: reaction pbf man lb.jpg (109KB, 1256x1075px) Image search: [Google]
reaction pbf man lb.jpg
109KB, 1256x1075px
>In English, swear words and curse words tend to have Germanic, rather than Latin etymology. For example, "shit" has a Germanic root, as probably does "fuck".
>The more technical alternatives are often Latin in origin, such as "defecate" or "excrete", and "fornicate" or "copulate" respectively.

Really makes you ponder.
>>
>>73486088
For the same reason pig has Germanic origin, but pork has Latin
>>
doesn't "fuck" come from "Forincate Under Consent of the King", or was that story just a joke
>>73486187
we use puerco in spain / porco in portuguese
but people usually say "cerdo" instead
>>
File: 1423315815999.jpg (42KB, 252x438px) Image search: [Google]
1423315815999.jpg
42KB, 252x438px
>>73486088
watch this

PERKELE
>>
>>73486088
It's because Romance swear words are all absolutely terrible, you can't express raw animosity in their simpleton languages because they don't have guttural sounds, just take fils de pute as an example, sounds like the word for an aerobics routine in Elvish
>>
>>73486283
good post
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-04-12-01h01m19s216.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-04-12-01h01m19s216.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>73486283
What did they mean by this?
>>
File: 1396467719160.jpg (63KB, 450x629px) Image search: [Google]
1396467719160.jpg
63KB, 450x629px
>>73486366
It has a history of being used as cry for the god for strength.
Christians think it means devil, lul what cucks
>>
>>73486248

No

The word has probable cognates in other Germanic languages, such as German ficken (to fuck); Dutch fokken (to breed, to beget); dialectal Norwegian fukka (to copulate), and dialectal Swedish focka (to strike, to copulate) and fock (penis).[7] This points to a possible etymology where Common Germanic fuk– comes from an Indo-European root meaning "to strike", cognate with non-Germanic words such as Latin pugno "I fight" or pugnus "fist".[7] By application of Grimm's law, this hypothetical root has the form *pug–.

Yet another possible etymology is from the Old High German word pfluog, meaning "to plow, as in a field." This is supported in part by a book by Carl Jung, Psychology of the Unconscious: A Study of the Transformations and Symbolisms of the Libido, in which he discusses the "primitive play of words" and the phallic representation of the plough, including its appearance on a vase found in an archaeological dig near Florence, Italy, which depicts six men with erect penises carrying a plow.

There is a theory that fuck is most likely derived from Flemish, German, or Dutch roots, and is probably not from Old English roots.
>>
>>73486530
>implying anyone will ever read that
>>
>>73486530
>>73486530
nice.
btw, in spanish the word for fist is "puño", i wouldnt be surprised if latin "pugno" was specific to fistfights.
>>73486682
fukke off
>>
The oldest occurrence of the word in adjectival form (which implies use of the verb) in English comes from the margins of a 1528 manuscript copy of Cicero's De Officiis. A monk had scrawled in the margin notes, "fuckin Abbot". Whether the monk meant the word literally, to accuse this abbott of "questionable monastic morals," or whether he used it "as an intensifier, to convey his extreme dismay" is unclear.[16]

John Florio's 1598 Italian-English dictionary, A Worlde of Wordes, included the term, along with several now-archaic, but then-vulgar synonyms, in this definition:

Fottere: To jape, to sard, to fucke, to swive, to occupy.[17]

Of these, "occupy" and "jape" still survive as verbs, though with less profane meanings, while "sard" was a descendant of the Anglo-Saxon verb seordan (or seorðan, ON serða), to copulate; and "swive" had derived from earlier swīfan, to revolve i.e. to swivel (compare modern-day "screw").

A 1790 poem by George Tucker has a father upset with his bookish son say "I'd not give [a fuck] for all you've read". Originally printed as "I'd not give ------ for all you've read", scholars agree that the words "a fuck" were removed, making the poem the first recorded instance of the now-common phrase "I don't give a fuck".[18]

Farmer and Henley's 1893 dictionary of slang notes both the adverbial and adjectival forms of fuck as similar to but "more violent" than bloody and indicating extreme insult, respectively.[15]
>>
>>73487021
In 2015, Dr. Paul Booth claimed to have found "(possibly) the earliest known use of the word 'fuck' that clearly has a sexual connotation": in English court records of 1310–11, a man local to Chester is referred to as "Roger Fuckebythenavele", probably a nickname. "Either this refers to an inexperienced copulator, referring to someone trying to have sex with the navel, or it's a rather extravagant explanation for a dimwit, someone so stupid they think this that is the way to have sex," says Booth
>>
>>73486831

Seems like as a pugilist is a boxer
>>
>>73486333
>they don't have guttural sounds

>english
>guttural
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.