[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does your language have any level of mutual intelligibility with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: jew-pepe.jpg (256KB, 800x778px) Image search: [Google]
jew-pepe.jpg
256KB, 800x778px
Does your language have any level of mutual intelligibility with any other languages? ie. languages that you can understand without having studied them, because they have a common root/resemble your languages.

I speak only shit-tier languages in this regard, Hebrew and English. Hebrew speakers can usually understand a good deal of Arabic when the similarities between words are pointed out to them, but the Arabic accent is usually far too thick for these similarities to be apparent in normal conversation. As an English speaker I can understand the basic grammar of German and Dutch (more so Dutch) but no advanced words. Also some of the more advanced words in Greek and Latin are understandable when they have applications in certain fields (medicine, for instance).
>>
>>72919669
I can understand Serbo-Croatian well enough without having studied it. I can write and speak it well enought to get the point across but I make a lot of mistakes.
>>
>>72919669
>Does your language have any level of mutual intelligibility with any other languages
Yeah, Karelian and Estonian.
>>
>>72919669
Dutch is readable for the most part. Can't really understand it when spoken.
>>
before learning i always could read spanish portuguese italian and english to some degree
not talk or write it though
>>
>>72919669
Yeah, when i listen to hebrew songs with translated lyrics i catch the similiar words, but actually listening to a hebrew speaker in a normal convo and understanding anything? Nope
>>
Not really, no.
>>
We understand everybody but nobody understands us
>>
I'm good with Japanese after many years of watching subbed anime, naturally.
>>
>>72923420
Hontoo? Desu kawai-des!
>>
>>72923420
Kys weeb
>>
Danish, norwegian, and a bit german and english, tiny bit french
>>
With Spanish, Galician and Catalan.
Galician is really similar to portuguese and Catalan many times is easy to understand
>>
>>72923550

basically this, but Swedish instead of Norwegian, and less English and more German.
>>
>>72919669
I can understand American rather well.
>>
File: 1468286851063.jpg (48KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1468286851063.jpg
48KB, 960x960px
>be at Airport
>overhear people talking
>thinking it's English with a weird accent
>it's actually Dutch
>>
>>72923700
i can understand australian rather well
>>
>>72919669
I can probably read a Chinese menu
>>
File: IMG_20170110_035228.jpg (31KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170110_035228.jpg
31KB, 500x360px
>study spanish at school
>try to listen something from argentina
>can't understand a shit because of the trashy spelling
>>
I can understand romance languages when written
And a little spanish if spoken slowly
>>
>>72919669
I can understand French and Dutch the most
then German, Greek, Spanish
But only French and Dutch I can understand and even then it's simple sentences without studying
>>
I am slav.
>>
>>72919669
Russian language helps me to understand almost every other Slavic language, especially in written form.

And my another native language... Well, it's completely useless in this regard.
>>
Basic German sentences are understandeble, and it's pretty easy to learn.

Afrikaans is just a Fucking dutch dialect.
>>
>>72919669
if germans speak slowly I can get the gist of it, same with dutch
written romance languages I'm like 30% good on
>>
>>72926927
Doesn't it share any similarities to Iranian, or at least other nearby groups?
>>
>>72927301
Like English shares similarities with German. There are common words, but you won't notice them if you don't know both languages very well.

>or at least other nearby groups
No, absolutely not.
>>
>>72924050
This.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.