[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone here ever tried to construct their own language? how far

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: quenyaelvish.png (78KB, 1200x480px) Image search: [Google]
quenyaelvish.png
78KB, 1200x480px
anyone here ever tried to construct their own language? how far did you get if so?
>>
>>72910388
Yes. Its vocabulary is incomplete
But grammar is ok, I suppose
>>
>>72910429
technically a language's lexicon can never be complete. thats great you've laid down some rules for it. whats the orthography like?
>>
>>72910388
I used to do this but when I realized it was too autistic I stopped right away... It was pretty well constructed though
>>
>>72910474
not sure whats autistic about it. would you say tolkein was autistic? language is a fascinating concept, i can understand the want to construct your own. ill begin constructing my own quite soon, probably after this uni trimester is over.
>>
>>72910539
No it's just an excuse for me to be honest. I didn't have the talent of a linguist like Tolkien and didn't have a fantasy universe where I could insert my language. So I mostly considered it as a pointless obsession in my life. In fact I already tried to create a fantasy universe by assembling ideas and inspirations from many lores like Witcher, ASOIAF, Malazan, and of course adding some creations of mine but I really lacked imagination to construct a decent story and it just ended up being a shitty plagiarism of the books I mentionned. Anyway keep it up OP I support you
>>
>>72910467
It has some cases:

nom. ⌀
gen. -(e)n
dat. -ne
acc. -we
loc. -na
abl. -fen
com. -(h)ǫs
abessive -nais

And a set of postpositions: ita(nom.) - for etc.

Example:

Jack
Jacken - of Jack
Jackne - to Jack
Jackwe - Jack
Jackna - on, at Jack
Jackfen - from Jack
Jackǫs - with Jack
Jacknais - without Jack
Jack ita - for Jack

I haven't created its own writing system yet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>72910767
Does kazakh have cases, or did you pick this up from russian?
>>
>>72911737
Sure, it is an agglutinative language
>>
>>72911846
Btw case system of the Russian language is quite different from Kazakh one

Rus. :
Nom. Marisa(sg. fem.)
Gen. Marisy
Dat. Marise
Acc. Marisu
Com. Marisoj(u)
Prepos. Marise

Kaz. :
Nom. Marisa
Gen. Marisanıñ
Dat. Marisağa
Acc. Marisanı
Abl. Marisadan
Loc. Marisada
Com. Marisamen

*There is no grammatical gender and changing endings in Kazakh, just affixes
>>
Yes
Grammar is simple af, but the script is ideogram
>>
>>72912173
What's the point of calling it cases if it's just suffixes regularly attached to the ends of words? How are they different from postpositions?
>>
>>72914877
>How are they different from postpositions?
Vowel harmony. That's why there are different variants of affixes(-da, -de, -ta, -te for loc.)
>>
>>72915135
Ah, okay. But it's still relatively predictable, right?
>>
>>72915282
Yes, it is
>>
I just find it kind of retarded when people complain about gozillion cases in Finnish while practically they're not much more difficult than Indo-European prepositions. There should be a separate term for this category, in my opinion.
>>
>>72910388

I tried investing my universal alphabet based on most common vowels and consonants
>>
>>72910388
Yes.
I've been working on it for a week or so, for 20-90 minutes a day. It's quite simple due to my lack of linguistic knowledge and experience. I just wanted to create a language that was very structured, in that knowing 1 part of the structure can lead you to assume pretty much the entire thing. Same with words, I'm working on a consistent algorithm for generating words.

Though these are just general ideas, really I just wanted something to play around with while learning linguistics. In the future I want to make a more complete language that uses the concepts developed in this one. Presently this one only has 4 vowels and 8 consonants, no combinations of them either. It's very simplistic.

The development is quite haphazard and convoluted because I don't speak any language fluently except English. So nothing in it is based on another language and at the same time I intentionally stray as far away from English as I can. As such there are many things in it that I couldn't actually properly term and/or evaluate.
>>
>>72910388
Yes, began in late 2002.
How far... I can't estimate. Last years I worked on it very sporadically. I'm afraid the effort of all those years will be in vain, after all.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6de_SbVUVfA
>>
>>72910388
I've tried to. I don't really know linguistics enough for it to work properly and I'm awful at coming up with vocabulary.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.