[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For those of you who decided to learn another language, how did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1412686096712.jpg (19KB, 400x393px) Image search: [Google]
1412686096712.jpg
19KB, 400x393px
For those of you who decided to learn another language, how did you choose? I've been thinking of learning something else for a while but can't decide on one that I really like and am interested in learning. For example I know some French already and it's relatively easy to understand, but I don't really like speaking it. Japanese interests me but is one of the most complicated languages for native English speakers to learn- same goes for Finnish.
I'd like if I could meet a native speaker of another language who could get me interested but I don't know where I'd find that, especially since I don't know what one to choose in the first place.
>>
>>72858615

I started learning French not long ago. If I could go back to like 2 months ago I'd learn Spanish instead. Now I'll just add in Spanish once Im a few months further into French.
>>
>>72858615
Japanese is not the most complicated for English speakers, it's a fairly straightforward and logical language. I took a few years in high school and it was no more difficult than anything else.

I also learned a fair bit of Finnish when I was dating a Finn. Fucking confusing language but again, if you want to do it do it, you can grind away and make progress if you want "difficulty" is irrelevant.

In any case the best bet is to figure out what language is most useful to you. Are there lots of people you can easily speak to in that language?

That's why I've finally given up meme languages like Japanese/Finnish/Gaelic/Mandarin/German/etc. No use to me and I don't know anyone who speaks them... Finally bit the bullet and just went with Spanish since it makes the most sense here.
>>
Learn spanish
>>
File: 1474485253333.jpg (140KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1474485253333.jpg
140KB, 680x680px
>>72858615
>>72858733
YOUR language if more confusing and illogical
>>
>>72858807
Well obviously Finnish is only confusing to me because it's quite different from my native English. All those fucking cases lol. I like the language though, but when I broke up with qt Finnish girl I no longer had any motivation to learn. )`:
>>
>>72858615
You're a native english speaker, man

People will always switch to english when they hear your accent
Learning languages isn't a anglo thing at all, going abroad and making other people learn your own language is an anglo thing instead

People won't expect you to know their native languages (unless they're french, btw) and people will always value your presence given the situation that you're a native english speaker and this is a highly valued asset to people trying to learn your language

I hope you don't take this personally, I don't want to discourage any anglo speaker from learning new languages, but in real life it's just that simple, go abroad and speak english, everyone's gonna speak to you back in english and you're gonna have a great time wherever you go for a trip or whatever
>>
>>72858864
Yep, but Finnish is understandable even if you speak with normal cases.

>but when I broke up with qt Finnish girl I no longer had any motivation to learn
Why?
>>
>>72859195
Because I don't know any other Finns? No more fun language learning sexy fun times and pillow talk?
>>
>>72858615
>how did you choose?
My girlfriend speaks it.
>>
>>72859336
No, I meant why did you broke up
>>
I decided learning Lithuanian because itt's close to Sanskrit and a "pure" language, really similar to how it was one thousand years ago.
It's also a complex language with declination and cases very similar to Latin, and most of the native speakers don't expect anyone to really try to understand it, as most people under 50 speak a pretty good English, so everyone is super friendly and helpful when you try to talk to them in Lietuviu Kalba.

Also, being interested in the history of the place is a bonus, knowing about historical figures (Vytautas the great) or national icons (the Vytis) makes everything easier, since even native youngsters don't care about their history and you get to impress everyone by assimilating another culture.

Also, the pussy is out of this world. That's part of it, learn a language IF you like a girl from that place, she will teach you stuff and you get a nice teacher/pupil thing going.
>>
>>72858615
Why don't you like speaking french? For me it just sounded to good to me and I wanted to learn it, so I just did. Plus MUH ANCESTRY n shieeet. I haven't really turned back.
>>
>>72858615
I learned Spanish because it is most useful, now I'm doing part time medical interpretation and I'll be working in Guatemala this summer, and hopefully Chile after that.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.