[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the coolest pagan religion? What would Europe be like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: Gods.png (1MB, 820x748px) Image search: [Google]
Gods.png
1MB, 820x748px
What was the coolest pagan religion? What would Europe be like culturally if Christianity had never taken hold?
>>
>>72760566

It's extremely hard to say, quite possibly not much different than it did turn out. There already were pagan cults with big similarities to Christianity.

The only "advanced pagan" society I can think of is India. But even there the Hinduism of today doesn't have much in common with Agni worship in the vedic period: it's philosophical, moral, with a lot to say about society/politics/science, just like xianity/islam/judaism.
>>
>>72760648
>The only "advanced pagan" society I can think of is India.
What about Japan?
>>
The reason pagan religions died out is because they were stupid.
>muh bearded thunder man

Christianity had some philosophical backbone
>>
>>72760566
Perun eh breddy cool guy
>>
>>72762435
we know few things about slav paganism, unfortunatly. Most of info was distortedby semi-pagan russian sects. All we know is that slavic mythology was strongly inspired by nordics, due to lots of viking mercenaries were hired by slav merchants
>>
>>72764413
So it's part of the grander Indus Valley-European religion?
>>
>>72760566

Egyptian because it isn't simply hurr gods petty uber powerful humans.

Very similar but with a bastardised version of Mithra, YHWH, Sol, worship instead.

Polytheism was dying all along the developed Mediterranean world..
>>
>>72760566
>What was the coolest pagan(pre christian) religion?
Judaism

>What would Europe be like culturally if Christianity had never taken hold?
Still White and Based
>>
>>72760566
Greek and Hinduism no doubt tbqh ngl /thread
>>
>>72760566
I theorize that the enlightment and scientific method would have been a longer time coming.

Don't get me wrong; religion fucking sucks.

But monotheism has an interesting quality that distinguishes it from polytheism: consistency.

In a monotheistic religion everything reflects the will and intent of one entity. This reflects a belief in the uniformity of nature in an objective measureable universe.

From there it's only a small step towards deism and rationalism.

A polytheistic culture would arrive at rationalism through very different means, and might actually skip over the enlightment and go directly to postmodernism.
>>
>>72766304
>Still White
Yes
>and Based
no. Life was shitty back then. We were uncivilized barbarians.
>>
>>72766572
what you posted isn't original thinking anyway, plenty of people have put forth theories like that, but it neglects that popular and philosophically-interpreted religion always differed, both in the pagan and christian worlds
>>
>>72766779
I never said I was unique. I'd always sort of figured that someone else must have come to the same conclusion.

DO you know any books on this subject? I've looked a bit but never found much.
>>
>>72760566
New variants of Roman gods, which were already variants of Greek gods, etc. Science would have happened anyway, probably earlier, so would have mixed our scientific progress with Politeism
>>
>>72760770
They were pretty behind for most of history.
>>
>>72766779
>it neglects that popular and philosophically-interpreted religion always differed, both in the pagan and christian worlds

Considering that the intellectual avant garde of any culture would be interpreting their religion through a more philosophical lens, I'm not sure that the popular interpretation matters too much -- unless the popular interpretation were the 'official' one and that was enforced.
>>
You can thank dumbfucking germanics for spreading this cancer Pomeranians were right when they associated christianity with german oppression
>be Hans Cuckmich
>hurr muh ancestors worshipped Zulu Kabulu and now we worship a jewish god!

no Hans YOU ARE THE KIKE
>>
>>72766572
>But monotheism has an interesting quality that distinguishes it from polytheism: consistency.
>In a monotheistic religion everything reflects the will and intent of one entity. This reflects a belief in the uniformity of nature in an objective measurable universe.

What is Islam. Islam rejected the watchmaker God.
>>
File: 1488320936706.png (16KB, 607x708px) Image search: [Google]
1488320936706.png
16KB, 607x708px
>>72766304
>>
>>72766964
yes, that was my point. and I can't think of something to recommend off the top of my head, you just have to look into how literate and philosophically minded people thought of religion and god vs the common people

but god the architect, geometer etc. is a pre-Christian philosophical concept
>>
File: Światowid.jpg (592KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Światowid.jpg
592KB, 600x900px
>>72764413
>Most of info was distortedby semi-pagan russian sects
This. For all we know commies could make up half of this shit to keep the memes of panslavism alive.
I mean even Perun who's arguably the most recognizable out of Slavic pantheon has like one documented mention somewhere in Ruthenia, and that's it.
>>72765963
Yes and no. Most probably various groups of Slavs had different, albeit probably similar gods. I guess you could compare it to Greek gods vs Roman gods relation.
Then again pretty much nothing about them is confirmed. Christians cucked us hard.
>>
>>72767258
Well our gods are these ones

http://www.bogowiepolscy.net/

always fucking lol when some retard talks about Perun as if we ever worshipped that russian Thor knock off
>>
>>72760566
Anthropologists argue that Europe needed a universalist religion to unite the continent, which was Christianity. If it wasn't that, it would've been Islam.

But I disagree with that, to be honest. Islam always imposed itself over conquered territories, as it's a warring religion. Europeans never liked brown people telling them what to do until recently. Christianity won because it spread thriugh slaves, got a foothold and then conquered.

Regardless, both need to die. Religion is not just some life philosophy, it's a manifestation of your culture, and some sand religion is not European. Ethnic paganism is the answer.
>>
>>72767564
HAHA GYPSIE

LMAO YOU SURE SEEM KNOWLEDGABLE ABOUT EUROPE PAJEET SEEMS LIKE STEALING EUROPEAN WALLETS GAVE YOU SOME INCLIN

HOW DO YOU CALL A ROMANIAN WITHOUT HANDS? TRUSTWORTHY
>>
>>72760566
Much more interesting, among other things.
>>
>>72767881
Pretty funny coming from a country which prays by sticking their hands in British toilets.
>>
File: golden lel.jpg (114KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
golden lel.jpg
114KB, 900x900px
>>72767468
>http://www.bogowiepolscy.net/
>expect black history tier revisionism and wewuzing
>most of it is actually source-based deconstruction of wewuzing
pleasant surprise
also
>goddess Lela
meme magic strikes again
>>
>>72767564
>Europeans never liked brown people telling them what to do until recently. Christianity won because it spread thriugh slaves, got a foothold and then conquered.
Lol fucking hell.

Persians used to be the same but they were the 'gate keepers' of Islam for generations.
>>
File: fat fuck.jpg (155KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fat fuck.jpg
155KB, 1200x1200px
>>72767564
>Anthropologists argue that Europe needed a universalist religion to unite the continent, which was Christianity.
>Christianity
>uniting anything
>mfw
>>
>>72768109
It worked for about 500 years, and then in 2 fsctions for another 400. Then you westerners went batshit crazy with it.
>>
>>72767982
PRETTY FUNNY COMING FROM A NON-COUNTRY OF GYPSIES

HAHA LOL PAJEET

PAJEET YOU ARE SO SHITSKINNED LMAO

DO YOU KNOW WHAT'S EVEN FUNNIER?

A COUNTRY OF FUCKING TOILET CLEANERS

OF FUCKING

SHIT SCRUBBERS

IS STILL RICHER THAN ROMANIA
>>
>>72768222
rekt
>>
>>72768197
But we can't know for sure if things would be worse without it.
>>
>>72768457
NOT FOR POLAND LOL

POLAND WAS FUCKED EITHER WAY

>be Mieszko I
>convert so western nations won't crusade your ass
>HRE attacks anyway

WOAH

CATHOLICISM SO HELPFUL

JESUS STRONK
>>
>>72768529
you should have converted to orthodoxy and stick with russia
>>
>>72768578
KEKDOXY LMAO

FUCK YOU TURK IN DISGUISE
>>
>>72768529
>Bolesław maintained good relations with Emperor Otto III, together they fought against the West Slavic Lutici tribes and the Polabian Slavs.
fug, Bolek was kind of a dick
>>72768578
moronic post
>>
>>72768690
kek gnije z polaczka
>HURR JAK TO TAK ATAKOWAĆ KOGOS DLA BORA WŁASNEGO NARODu? :( JESTESMY POLAKAMI MUSIMY BRONIĆ HONORU I DAWAĆ SIE JEBAĆ INNYM!

dlatego własnie slav - slave
>>
Look at India.

>>72760792
Bagans were actually the first to tell christians that the literal interpretation of adam and eve is bullshit because they already were into "its just a metaphor!" game when Cicero wrote about the gods 50 bc.
>>
>>72768800
Jak się ma palenie własnych wsi przez Lisowczyków do dobra własnego narodu, głąbie? Więcej z nich było szkód niż pożytku.
also
>pomóż Szkopom lać Połabian
>kilka wieków później Połabian nie ma i ich tereny zamieszkują tylko i wyłącznie Szkopy
Super zyski kurwo
Jakby przetrwali to może mielibyśmy jakiś bufor przed naziolami.
>>
>>72769325
Wiochmeni to podludzie zobacz na Podlasie.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.