[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would a magical high fantasy setting based on your country's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: Generic_high_fantasy_7664.jpg (134KB, 350x346px) Image search: [Google]
Generic_high_fantasy_7664.jpg
134KB, 350x346px
What would a magical high fantasy setting based on your country's native mythology and stories be like?
>>
>>72620174
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mynzbmrtp9I
>>
>>72620336
Don't worry though, we executed at least 500 of them.

>Prosecution of buckriders was as ruthless as the buckriders were themselves, even by those day's standards. 90% of the convicts received capital punishment. Confessions were given by means of torture, or by fear for it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckriders
>>
>>72620336
A Johnny Cash song is based on Dutch stories?
>>
>>72620174
Deadlands
>>
>>72620932
I don't know, but it wouldn't be the first time. The pirate ship the flying Dutchmen haunted some other anglos.
>>
>>72621223
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Fokke
>>
File: 19-26.jpg (23KB, 728x410px) Image search: [Google]
19-26.jpg
23KB, 728x410px
Skinwalkers and other crazy native shit
>>
same shit except you cast spells by singing and playing an instrument

in Kalevala Väinämöinen used a harp (kantele) made of a gigantic pike's jaw and the golden hair of some random cunt

he once faced another spellcaster in 1vs1 battle and spellcasted the challenger to be swallowed by the swamp, although from what I remember only up to his head and then he got spared
>>
The story starts with the MC dying

Wait, isn't that kind of like Bröderna Lejonhjärta?
>>
>>72621612
oh and from what I remember spells were still incanted with specific magic words and at one point Väinämöinen had to travel to worship/ask some god for the specific words of a spell
>>
Arthurian legend, but ramp up the Dragons and Giants.
>>
File: da.jpg (27KB, 400x334px) Image search: [Google]
da.jpg
27KB, 400x334px
>yfw the ghosts are actually the good guys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witte_Wieven
>>
My country's folklore is fucking lame
>hehe some hick stepped in shit and that shit was actually magical ;)
>ghosts in castles
>another hick tricks dragon into killing himself
>hicks arguing
>hick spirits scaring hicks
>>
>>72620174
Giants, vampires, clairvoyant witches, suffering ghosts of dead people, evil dragons stopping the waters (no flying), mischievous spirits of lakes and woods, house sprites shitting into milk, birds bringing souls, two divine forces arguing or cooperating depending on their mood, princes of peasant roots blessed by those forces and some strongman heroes much in the Conan style.
>>
>>72622775
>giants
not present in polish folklore
>vampires
not present in polish folklore

literally entire polish folklore centers about villagers trying to brige spirits so they will stop fucking with them

lmao polacks are a peasant race
>>
>>72622876
>giants
present in Kashubian folklore

>vampires
wąpierze
>>
>>72620174

Basically Hyper Fanatical knights in quest for immortality and to wipe out all Satan's spawns which mean tarasques, fairies, witches, dragons, gargoyls, and so on
>>
>>72622907
>kashubians
>polish
kek

also there are no Conan like heroes in polish folklore either and it's hardly surprising since poles are not warriors but slaves
>>
>>72620174
We already have one, its The Lord of The Rings, which i think is an amazing story. Its specifically meant to be Anglo-Saxon so idk how far it extends to the rest of our scepter'd isle
>>
>>72624904
It's 90% Norse mythology tho
>>
>>72625013
It also exists in Dutch folklore. Most of it.
>>
>>72624904
>Its specifically meant to be Anglo-Saxon

lol look at this fucking retard
>>
>>72620174
My country or this land in general? We're far too young to have any legit mythology outside urban legends and "monsters".
>>
>>72624904
>>72625013
>>72625151
Literally 9/10 fantasy based media is based on European mythology in general. You can all stop jerking each other off, you all play a role to some extent.
>>
File: 1488928340007.jpg (187KB, 1228x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1488928340007.jpg
187KB, 1228x2048px
>>
File: Haida wolf.jpg (30KB, 400x460px) Image search: [Google]
Haida wolf.jpg
30KB, 400x460px
>>72620174
It'd be like a mix of ludacris indigenous lore and aesthetic with all the folktales and poetry about the wilderness and ghosts created by frightened European settlers. Lots of talking animals and mythical creatures like "thunderbirds", I guess 'wood elf' type characters, lots of travelling merchants. Probably have some kind of uprising based on Metis or French rebels.
Tons of things that could be done.
>>
>>72625720
I think Canadian lore would be better suited for steampunk for the most part.
>>
>>72622555
At least you got one cool thing out of it.
>>
File: Tzitzimitl.jpg (153KB, 700x502px) Image search: [Google]
Tzitzimitl.jpg
153KB, 700x502px
>>72620174
brutal
>>
>>72625013
Norse mythology is only a thing because the Scandinavians were late to Christianity. It's our mythology just as much as it is yours (Thursday = Thurin's Day, Wednesday = Woden's Day, etc)
>>
>>72625013
Its 90% core germanic, anglo-saxons=germanic

>>72625254
Tolkien was a professor studying Anglo-Saxon, he specifically stated that he felt that the Norman Conquest had robbed us of a lot of our past and mythology, that the Lord of the Rings was intended to be a sort of filler.
>>
>>72620174
King Arthur and the Lord of the Rings
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.