[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1. Your sovereign entity 2. Who is your country's greatest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: EdmundBurke1771[1].jpg (92KB, 672x800px) Image search: [Google]
EdmundBurke1771[1].jpg
92KB, 672x800px
1. Your sovereign entity
2. Who is your country's greatest contributor to philosophy?

>flag
>Edmund Burke, Father of both British liberalism and conservatism
>>
File: Z6XKTfZ.jpg (520KB, 994x1823px) Image search: [Google]
Z6XKTfZ.jpg
520KB, 994x1823px
>Spain
>Gustavo Bueno, author of the most important materialist legacy of our century so far, and a mandatory read (even if polemically) for anyone adhered to Materialism.
Unfortunately, still most of his opus needs to be translated. I believe some guys at the Uni of Vienna are working on translating him to German.
>>
>>72142514
>t. materialist
Spain's most important philosopher is St. Isidore. For the modern period, it's Santayana. Averroes is of moderate interest as well.
>>
>>72142672
I don't think St. Isidore was a philosopher, nor anyone with with shit together would.

Santayana is irrelevant.
>>
>>72142728
>nor anyone with with shit together would.
Tremendously nuanced retort.

>Santayana is irrelevant.
Gustavo Bueno is so irrelevant that nobody has translated his works into English.
>>
>>72142811
>I don't think St. Isidore was a philosopher
He doesn't follow any rationalist nor critical system, he cannot be called a philosopher in my book. Not more of a philoshopher than Osho, the Raelians or any of that new age crap.

>Gustavo Bueno is so irrelevant that nobody has translated his works into English.
I've read a good deal of his writings and not only he is relevant, he is NECESSARY for the development of contemporary materialism. Honestly, I don't know who do you think you are to deny that he is the most important (not only that, but THE SINGLE, Spanish philosopher, in the purest sense of the term), I'd bet my hand you've never seen him mentioned before.
And he will be translated into English in due time. For now he is a blast in the Spanish-speaking academia.
>>
>>72143278
>in my book
It's just as well you didn't write the book, then, considering Isidore's wrote on natural law, and his ideas were incorporated into Decretum Gratiani, which was the cornerstone of Catholic natural law for 700 years.

>I've read a good deal of his writings and not only he is relevant, he is NECESSARY for the development of contemporary materialism.
The OP didn't read
>Who is your country's greatest contributor to materialist philosophy?

>Honestly, I don't know who do you think you are to deny that he is the most important
Someone's touchy.

>I'd bet my hand you've never seen him mentioned before.
That's another incredibly nuanced, philosophical argument. Also, even if that were true, it would prove the point that he's not the answer to the question in OP, considering that a country's greatest contributor to philosophy would be widely known and read, as Santayana is, for example.
>>
1. Queen Elizabeth II
2. In terms of current recognition, I suppose it's that dog-fucking baby-killing Jew.

>Burke
>father of British liberalism
No.
>and conservatism.
NO.
>>
>>72143554
> considering that a country's greatest contributor to philosophy would be widely known and read, as Santayana is, for example.

First, Santayana lived in the USA and wrote in English, evidently he is more widely read in the Anglosaxon sphere than an UNTRANSLATED author. Second, Bueno died just a year ago, and the importance of his work is still beginning to be formally acknowledged.

Yes, it makes sense to consider a philosopher relevant to the extent that he is studied, but that Bueno's contribution to his area of the practice weighs much more than that of Santayana is undeniable aswell.

>It's just as well you didn't write the book, then, considering Isidore's wrote on natural law, and his ideas were incorporated into Decretum Gratiani, which was the cornerstone of Catholic natural law for 700 years.

Just to make it clearer, I'm one of those guys who believe that "philosophy is something that happened between Kant and Hegel". And that I don't give a shit about prescientific and mythological thought.
>>
>>72143845
>First, Santayana lived in the USA and wrote in English
And espoused the values of Spanish cultural Catholicism, and always maintained Spanish citizenship. He's therefore a Spanish philosopher.

>Second, Bueno died just a year ago, and the importance of his work is still beginning to be formally acknowledged.
Pierre Manent is a non-Anglophone philosopher who is still alive, and his work is universally translated into English, the language of Oxford, Cambridge and the Ivy League.

>Just to make it clearer, I'm one of those guys who believe that "philosophy is something that happened between Kant and Hegel". And that I don't give a shit about prescientific and mythological thought.
How can I deal with you, then? You're not a philosopher, you're a petulant atheist selectively reading philosophy until you find a kindred spirit in some fringe philosopher nobody cares about.
>>
>>72142163
Estados Unidos
William James- came up with pragmatism
>>
>>72144487
>He's therefore a Spanish philosopher.
>Pierre Manent is a non-Anglophone philosopher who is still alive

You have no idea what the Spanish Academia is like. The argument of Santayana publishing in English and being a US citizen meaning that, had he lived in Spain and written the same stuff in Spanish, he would be unknown. Spain is pretty much thirld world when it comes to reinforcing and projecting the little important research it undertakes.

>How can I deal with you, then?
What are you trying to deal with me lad? If the central point is whether Bueno is the most important Spanish philosopher or not, this is a nonsensical discussion as you haven't read his work.

>You're not a philosopher, you're a petulant atheist selectively reading philosophy until you find a kindred spirit in some fringe philosopher nobody cares about.

At first I though you were just very intellectually dishonest, but now you are looking stupid.
>>
>>72145128
>You have no idea what the Spanish Academia is like.
>You don't know what it's like, man!
Third strike for atrociously constructed arguments.

>>72145128
>At first I though you were just very intellectually dishonest, but now you are looking stupid.
I didn't know you could have four strikes, but that's fine, I suppose. You've summarily dismissed almost all philosophy, and I'm stupid? I'm out, buddy, because you're beyond reason.
>>
>>72145267
Yes, you never penetrate beyond the purely cosmetic of my arguments. You are just another opinionated /int/ brat with whom discussion is impossibly frustrating. Keep on counting strikes, man. Or try to back your claim: St. Isidore is Spain's greatest contributor to philosophy. Why?
>>
Oh, hold on a second, you already did here:

> Isidore's wrote on natural law, and his ideas were incorporated into Decretum Gratiani, which was the cornerstone of Catholic natural law for 700 years.

That's a greater contribution than designing a complete philosophical system and contributing to the philosophy of religion, the history of philosophy and epistemology, Staatstheorie and the most complete social criticism of the entity of Spain to this date. Yeah.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.