[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spain, I have questions. Whats the difference twixt Spanish,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12

File: pin.jpg (128KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
pin.jpg
128KB, 500x333px
Spain, I have questions.

Whats the difference twixt Spanish, Castillian and Basque languages? Are they mutually intelligible? Are loan words prevalent in each from the others? Do most people speak all of them or a combination? Which iis seen as the most respectable? Which the least reapectable?

Also, I think Spain has the loveliest countrysides of all western Europe. Do you agree y/n?
>>
Spanish and Castillian is the same language. Basque is a totally different language that is not intellegible with any other language in the world, it's the only member of its own linguistic family. Like Japanese, Basque is a very unique language
>>
>>71974766
Basque is totally different family.Castillian and Spanish are intelligible
>>
>>71974856
They aren't just intellegible, they are the same language with two different names.
>>
Basque is more distant to Spanish than English is to fucking Hindi.
>>
So why do they call it two different things if it's the same language? What are the differences that prompted this separate designation?
>>
>>71976334
Because, after all, it is still the language of Castile. Just that it became the widespread language of the kingdom. And many of the autonomous communities of Spain refrain from calling it "Spanish" due to them having their own recognized languages.
>>
>>71976334
Because it was the language of Castile,that later formed Spain.
>>
>>71974766
>Also, I think Spain has the loveliest countrysides of all western Europe.

Are you from the Southwest by any chance? Because Spain is a huge desert for the most part.
>>
> Spanish
The national language.
> Castilian
A synonym of "Spanish".
> Basque
The only language isolate in Western Europe, nobody knows where it came from and it's so hard that a former president of the Basque Country, J. J. Ibarretxe, needed 15 years of study to be fluent.
> loanwords
There are many. The Spanish language first evolved from Latin in the same area where Basque was spoken. For example, the Spanish word for "left" comes from Basque (Basque ezkerra > Spanish izquierda). On the other hand, Basque is a very old language that lacked the vocabulary describing complex societies, so they borrowed lots of words from Latin when the Romans came, like "peace" (Latin pax > Basque pakea) or "nation", and in modern times from Spanish.
>>
>>71976681
Actually i am. I love desert scenery and rocky, dry climates.

c'est dans mon sangue
>>
>>71976698
I see. Thank you, Spain.
>>
File: what the fuck am i vulting.png (51KB, 500x517px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck am i vulting.png
51KB, 500x517px
>>71976681
>Because Spain is a huge desert for the most part.
>>
>>71976698
>For example, the Spanish word for "left" comes from Basque (Basque ezkerra > Spanish izquierda)
I had no idea of that. I always wondered why the word for "left" wasn't a derivative of "sinister".
>>
File: forest area europe.jpg (325KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
forest area europe.jpg
325KB, 800x600px
>>71976681
Spain has everything from forest to plains to desert.We have a higher concentration of forest than your country kek
>>
>>71977299
We have it: "a diestra y siniestra"
>>
>>71974846
>Spanish and Castillian is the same language.

No
>>
I used to dream about Spain all the time when I was younger.

Lying on a big rock in the middle of nowhere warming myself in the sun while the warm wind blew and the first starting notes of Requerdos de la Alhambra played on a classical guitar float gently to my ears on the breeze. I would eat my olives and grapes and dream of the days to come full of hope and promise
>>
File: IMG_9212.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9212.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>71977559
Estudia aquí
>>
File: Cantabria 2.jpg (145KB, 960x716px) Image search: [Google]
Cantabria 2.jpg
145KB, 960x716px
>>71977559
The mediterranean coast is the most visited by euro tourists, but the rest looks more interesting to me.
>>
>>71977661
Good God.

That is my dream
>>
>>71977736
>snow in sight

ya blew it
>>
File: spain_nazarenos.jpg (98KB, 797x502px) Image search: [Google]
spain_nazarenos.jpg
98KB, 797x502px
>>71977823
But snow it's nice when you have a few cm. More than that sucks desu.
>>
File: Cuenca.jpg (36KB, 550x224px) Image search: [Google]
Cuenca.jpg
36KB, 550x224px
>>71977736
EL mediterraneo es asqueroso por norma general.Hasta las ciudades enanas del interior tienen bastante más que ofertar que ciudades como Alicante o Castellón
>>
File: Asturias_Catedral de Covadonga.jpg (736KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Asturias_Catedral de Covadonga.jpg
736KB, 1920x1080px
>>71978018
Si, pero supongo que al resto de los europeos les interesa mas ponerse como camarones al sol, drogarse, estar borracho a mitad del día y escuchar música electronica. Calculo que debe ser mejor ir a esos lugares en invierno si te interesa realmente conocerlos.
>>
>>71978018
Castilla La Mancha es lo mehor payo.

t. Manchego
>>
Español and Castellano are the same language
Basque is older than indoeuropean, its origin is quite uncertain

And I agree the countryside in Spain looks lovely and is pretty varied dependign on the region
>>
>>71974766
basque shares some words with english,

trust me or not .
>>
>>71983021
example?
>>
File: 1487973469802.jpg (68KB, 668x712px) Image search: [Google]
1487973469802.jpg
68KB, 668x712px
>>71974927
No, that is not true, let's not get hysterical with this, ok?

Basque has many Spanish/Latin/IE origin words and Spanish has many Basque origin words aswell.

Vocabulary wise the closest language to Basque is Spanish.

Words in Spanish from Basque origin that come to my mind: mochilla, izquierda, chabola, aquelarre, chaparro, chistera, zulo, cencerro, etc..

If something as basic as the word "left" comes from Basque, you can imagine it had great influence, in fact Castillian was born not only neighbouring Basque people but living among them (in regions like Vizcaya mostly).

What do you think that people talked in Spain before the Romans came? Ancient Iberian (not Celtiberian; Iberian) language was probably related to Basque.

Even in the earliest Castillian writings like "Cantar del mío Cid" you see early Spanish mixed with Basque words like "miecha" and "minaya".

In the same way, a lot of Basque vocabulary is made up using Spanish words or loan words, "shoe" in Spanish is zapato and in Basque zapata. And especially for the more modern ones, things like "airport/aeropuerto" in Basque is called "aireportu", with this kind of words they usually used Spanish as the closest source.

It's kinda tiresome to see foreigners pretending that Basques are some kind of completely isolated, practically alien and mythical lost people when they have been pretty much always connected to their neighbours and have been essential part of the Spanish identity since the very beginning.
>>
>>71983799
And yes, I should have remarked that I know that you were trying to point how English/Hindi are both IE and Basque is not, but English and Hindi are so far away now, that just judging by vocabulary, I can guarantee that Basque and Spanish are closer than English and Hindi.
>>
>>71983799
Even Catalan has many Basque words, and for very basic things, like "samarreta" (shirt) coming from the basque "zamarra".
>>
File: 1488743287857.gif (8KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1488743287857.gif
8KB, 645x773px
>>71976996
>>Because Spain is a huge desert for the most part.
Memes, memes never die.
>>
File: 125-3.png (75KB, 331x257px) Image search: [Google]
125-3.png
75KB, 331x257px
>>71983799
The distance it's about structure, not the amount of loanwords,basque isn't even an indoeuropean language for start.
>>
> Spanish and Castilian

Wtf, this is the same language. Our language have two denominations, something like Chinese and Mandarin.
>>
What's the difference between Spaniard and Filipino people? Both look the same to me.
>>
>>71983799

This.

Castilla itself was born as a leonese county (re)populated mostly with cantabrians and basques.
>>
>>71985965
Yes, and let's not forget that some of the most powerful noble families of Castile were of Basque origin, like the House of Mendoza. You can not understand Castile and Spain without its big Basque influence. It's baffling when a foreigner or a brainwashed Basque communist who has overdosed on the Arana romanticist kool-aid tries to talk about the Spanish/Castillian opression or tries to separate the Spanish identity from the Basque one like if they were like oil and water, on this regard, the Catalans are more foreigners or have been more ""opressed"" historically than Basque nationalists could ever dream (for their victim complex addiction).
>>
No puedo dormir.
>>
File: 1471790085862.png (181KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1471790085862.png
181KB, 400x400px
>>71986564

Tómate un vaso de leche calentito y escucha ASMR.
>>
>>71986614

Llevo toda la noche escuchando asmr, hace como un año que no duermo sin él.

La verdad es que me da igual no poder dormir, mañana no tengo nada que hacer. Ni mañana ni al otro, ni al otro ni al otro...
>>
>>71986701
Para esto:
>>71985220
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.