[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it normal to find native speakers who try to discourage you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1471001213433.jpg (66KB, 680x684px) Image search: [Google]
1471001213433.jpg
66KB, 680x684px
Is it normal to find native speakers who try to discourage you from learning their language?
>>
>>71887384
yes.
Dont learn turkish.
>>
When americans try to use British colloquialisms this is never an appreciated thing.
>>
>>71887491
When the hell do people do that other than irony?

The most I've done with that is saying football instead of soccer if I'm around Europeans.
>>
>>71887384
i've learned the meme language
>>
>>71887687
Portuguese?
>>
>>71887384
If it's some totally irrelevant language like Luxembourgish people openly admit it.
>>
>>71888094
:(
>>
>>71888699
Eu adoro português, mas neste sito toda a gente acham que português é uma "meme langauge" e Portugal é um "meme country."

>>71888500
Isn't that basically a weird dialect of German? I've been learning a bit of Catalan with the encouragement of a native speaking friend, but Catalans on /int/ have told me it's a waste of time. I think it's /int/ being /int/, since most Catalans elsewhere on the internet people have said a typical native speaker in Barcelona would be pleasantly surprised to hear a tourist speaking it.
>>
Yes but it depends on the language.

You can provoke roughly three different reactions when approaching natives of your target language, often depending on the language.

-The natives are not really used to foreigners learning their language and react enthusiastically. Quite often you get smothered by a torrent of words because they expect you to be completely fluent just from uttering some broken phrases. This is especially true to people that don't have a lot of contact with foreigners.

-The second type of reaction you get stems most of the time from speakers of major world languages that are wildly studied. These natives expect nothing less but complete flawlessness and take personal offence at you butchering their language.

-The last type concerns certain populations that often speak foreign languages themselves but are not really used to foreigners learning their language. They often prefer to flex own language skills instead of helping you. Sometimes these people react confused and question your motivations. Though, if you really acquire True Fluency in a language of this. category then the speakers will be even more impressed.
>>
>>71889638
>write a long post on the topic, no (you)s
>>
>>71889638
Where would you say Germans fall in this? I would say category 2, since I've had German internet friends where I directly said "I would like to practice my German" and they helped me at first but always ultimately defaulted on going back to English.

I've been studying Portuguese, and I would say they're a mixture of Categories 1 and 3. When I traveled in Portugal, a lot of people were super excited to hear a foreigner speaking Portuguese (especially European PT) but they get millions of tourists each year, very very few of whom know anything besides "obrigado."

I'm learning Catalan for a number of reasons (mostly that I think it sounds pleasant), and native speakers on most other websites have told me that even in Barcelona, where Spanish might be a bit more dominant, people will be really impressed and flattered if I know some basic Catalan. However Catalan speakers on this board have told me I'll sound like an idiot because they all know Spanish.

I would also say the attitude depends on the country: I'm under the impression that in Northern Europe it's frowned upon to speak the language as a foreigner (since it's easier for everyone to use English) but in Southern Europe it's usually appreciated.
>>
File: tmp_32318-491075386043.png (74KB, 701x736px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_32318-491075386043.png
74KB, 701x736px
>>71890138
>Germans
Light category three but not as bad as the Dutch.

>they default back to English
If their skills overpower yours by a large margin then you are putting a burden on them. Try finding people who are interested in a real language exchange and insist on keeping fixed tims(10 minutes in one language then switching).
>>
>>71890660
>France
Isn't that more of a Parisian thing to do?

>not as bad as the Dutch.
I've seen that of Scandinavians as well, especially Danes. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems like Northern Europe has virtually no pride in languages.
>>
>>71887384
>Is it normal to find native speakers who try to discourage you from learning their language?

Yes. I've done it multiple times already, and will do so in the future as well.

>Hungarian
>10 million speakers - by definition a meme language
>half of those are braindead mouthbreathers
>toxic, backward culture
>Westerners would trade a good life for a shitty one by coming to my country
>the only ones who would benefit from traveling here are third worlders, and we don't want them here

Seriously. Just don't.
>>
>>71890843
We do, which is why we refuse to encourage you mutilating them.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.