[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw the language your grandparents spoke will be extinct

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 1469340983908.png (462KB, 850x506px) Image search: [Google]
1469340983908.png
462KB, 850x506px
>tfw the language your grandparents spoke will be extinct in one more generation
>>
u an injun or something pal
>>
>>71719166
No, Jewish.

Yiddish is dying.
>>
>>71719220

Lampshades don't speak anyways so it's not that big a deal
>>
>>71719220
Then go back and preserve it
>>
Yiddish is not a language, it's not even derived from a German sub-dialect. It branched off from the standard variety of High German.

If you want to blame someone for the extinction of Yiddish then go blame the Zionists because they actively prevented Yiddish from acquiring an official status in Israel.
>>
>>71719277
>Go back

Why would I need to go back to start a Yiddish revival? We can do it here, we just need more participants.
>>
>>71719308
Nearly every linguist will disagree with you on that one, Hans. Also, I'm not placing blame, but you are correct about the first decades of Israel's existence.
>>
>>71719323
Because this isn't there. You want to preserve the ways of the old country? Do it in the old country. This is not a country for people who want the old country.
>>
>>71719156
Learn it God damn it.
I'm an Anglo, so I'm furthest from any sort of special snowflake language as it gets, we own the lingua franca.

Now if I was Welsh or Irish or Cornish I'd be THRILLED to help with the revival.
>>
>>71719484
Not the 'ways' in a larger context, you dolt. I'm not saying we need to build shtetls straight outta the Pale of Settlement, I'm just talking about preserving a language.

>>71719542
I'm trying my dude. I have some German and Modern Hebrew exposure, so it helps.
>>
>>71719577
Preserve it there. Not here.
>>
>>71719577
If the survival of your ethnicity isn't incentive enough, I don't know what is.

I wish I had the justification to learn Low German/Saxon, or Friscian, or some other regional ethnic language that isn't the nationwide standard.
>>
>he can't speak his grandparents language
literally lost the easy mode lmao
>>
>>71719619
Incentive enough for what?
>>
>>71719156
Just speak german with yoursqueaky jewish voice and it'll practically be the same thing.
>>
>>71719156
My mother speak Alsacian, everyone will forget this when she will pass away
>>
File: 1485725622605.jpg (291KB, 822x822px) Image search: [Google]
1485725622605.jpg
291KB, 822x822px
>>71719156
>>71722609
Still, there are Breton, Alsacian, Occitan, Provencal,etc classes in universities. I'm sure there are for any language you think is dying out
>>
>>71719156
iktf
>>
>>71719253
Atleast use a meme that wasn't officially disclosed by the U.S. government as propaganda
>>
>>71722769
Classes doesn't mean the languages isn't dying out. It just means it's unlikely that it'll die out entirely in the short or medium term
>>
>>71722769
With your logic Sumerian and ancient Greek did not died out, If a language is not used in every day life as a mean of communication it's dead
>>
>>71719220
isn't yiddish just Jewified German
>>
>>71725259
Yeah, more or less
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.