[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could it be that the words "warm" and "hot"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Could it be that the words "warm" and "hot" are used differently in different languages?
I've been asked before whether i drink warm beer, and i said no, because i imagined beer that was slightly heated up, but is "hot but not so hot that it hurts to touch". But what they actually meant was beer that was "not cold".
Similiarly, in German i would say i need a "warme Dusche" = warm shower, but in English you would say "hot shower". Although "heiße Dusche" (hot shower) is also acceptable, but there's definitely a difference imo.

These differences in languages always throw me off. It's like the German Kindergarten (pre-school) vs American Kindergarten (grade before first grade). How am i supposed to master a language like this??
>>
>>71117934

You got autism brah?
>>
>>71117995
I don't, but that's what it looks like when i trip over these language differences
>>
>>71117934
>How am i suppoed to master a language like this??
hang in there bud

it's not easy but it's doable. you just have to consume as much english-language media as ur body can physically handle. start talking to urself. start emulating whichever accent you prefer. practice all day and all night. before you know it ur speaking english as if it were ur mother tongue.

i mean, if i can do it, anyone can. and for reference, im a fucking idiot.
>>
>>71117934
Warm and cool are kind of "grey areas" between hot and cold, and often depend on the expected temperature of what's being described.

Showers are usually warm or hot, hot being at or beyond the threshold of comfort, which is sometimes, oddly enough, perfect.

Beer is expected to be cold, so a room temperature beer would be considered warm. A beer left in a car for three days in the middle of July would be hot and isn't worth opening.

Tea/coffee is expected to be hot, so anything perceptively colder than boiling might be considered cool.

Just to make matters worse, Kindergarten is often considered preschool despite functioning like and taking place alongside classes at the same school.
>>
File: assburger.jpg (35KB, 560x637px) Image search: [Google]
assburger.jpg
35KB, 560x637px
>>71117934
>>
>Could it be that words are used differently in different languages?
Preposterous and heretic thought!
>>
>>71118061
>>71118170
Merely avoiding words such as:
>doable
>ur
>whichever
...will be good practice.
>>
>>71120589
What's wrong with "doable" and "whichever"?
>>
>>71117934
In brazilian portuguese we have
1. "quente" - high temperature
2. "morno" - medium temperature
3. "frio" - low temperature
We use it for everything, we take a quente shower, drink a morno beverage, eat a frio meal, and the weather can be morno (although nobody talks about morno weather, because it's dull).
>>
>>71117934
so it wasn't warm, rather it was lukewarm?
>>
>>71117934
git gud
>>
>>71117934
>I've been asked before whether i drink warm beer, and i said no, because i imagined beer that was slightly heated up, but is "hot but not so hot that it hurts to touch". But what they actually meant was beer that was "not cold".
Are you Japanese?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.