[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do Brits continue to deny that the American Revolution was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4

File: Yorktown80.jpg (115KB, 734x567px) Image search: [Google]
Yorktown80.jpg
115KB, 734x567px
Why do Brits continue to deny that the American Revolution was the single greatest loss in their country's history?
>>
>>71051924
>not Hastings
The native anglos were subjugated and frenchified, forever changing them
As the north of England kindly reminds everyone, they haven't recovered yet from the tyranny of William "the Bastard" of Normandy
>>
Because it wasn't. All it did was make them focus on bigger and better things like india and china
>>
>>71052005
irrelevant
>>
>>71052041
t. knows nothing of history before 1776
>>
>>71052041
>irrelevant
some shitty colony breaking free is more irrelevant.

you just got lucky and managed to become pretty well-off
>>
Our colonies in the US weren't even profitable.
>>
>>71052070
This, wasn't Canada with its beaver pelts the goose with the golden eggs back then? And the 13 colonies some uppity colony filled with religious rejects?
>>
File: patriots.jpg (273KB, 1250x650px) Image search: [Google]
patriots.jpg
273KB, 1250x650px
>tfw
>>
File: falklands are british.jpg (160KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
falklands are british.jpg
160KB, 640x360px
>>71052005
>>71052061

They're ours Argie

Forever ours
>>
>>71052005
This desu
It can be directly linked to the 100 year war the 30 year war nepolionic wars ww1 ww2 and then the cold war
An event that shaped the world
>>
>>71052230
Someone post the chav picture please forgot to save it
>>
>>71052230
That's nice

>>71052251
Medieval period can be divided pre-1066 and post-1066
An age were England opened up and stopped being the Anglo Saxon target of the Vikings, from that point in France and England became much closer and dictated the policy of Western Europe. Since everywhere else was pretty irrelevant. England contested the hegemony that France had since the days of Clovis.
>>
>>71052005
Agreed but Singapore is the best contender for the modern era

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Singapore

>>71051924
Because it wasn't, the UK went on to be exponentially more powerful in the following century, it didn't affect them at all outside of "what could have been"
>>
>>71052061
the formation of england and britain happened after the english civil war

you can stuff your european shitfuck so far up your anus get fucked
>>
>>71051924
because the 13 colonies at the time of the revolution carried a very low profit compared to their caribbean colonies

also your reason for revolution was kinda dodgy

>americans want to move further inland
>brits approve ohio to be further colonized
>french contest the claims
>brits allow it anyways
>(seven years) war ensues
>cue a worldwide war that costs the brits heavily
>put a tax (that is almost nothing compared to the british isles tax rate) on the 13 colonies, because much of the war motive was to increase the power of the 13 colonies
>13 colonies' people chimp out hard
>brits decide to place more troops within the 13 colonies and takes acts that would be seen as early martial law
>13 colonies do ultimate chimp out and ally themselves with the same people who they were fighting ~60 years ago for more land
wew
>>
>>71052357
England and Britain are different things m8
England started out as a country under the Anglo Saxon house of Wessex and became a regional power that would become much more relevant in the following centuries after 1066
Britain came to happen when both Ireland and Wales were completely under control (Wales had been for centuries) and the crowns of Scotland and England were forever joined.
So instead of having, for example, James the VI of Scotland and the I of England, you had Queen Anne of Great Britain.
>>
>>71052452
If you are really interested in English history you should read "the English and there history" really good subjective account on all that has happened over its existence
Though at time I think can be a bit biased
>>
>>71052452
what happened in 1066 has no bearing on what happened to in the 18th century when what the country in 1066 was not even unified until after they were conquered

anglos are not native in the first place arriving just a few hundread years prior

i am not sure why you brought it up, back then it was made up of many entities harold's father was an earl under the danish king

i know you know about essex and york and so on but they are not the nation that fought the colonists
>>
>>71052567
The danish king died and Eadward the Confessor came back.
England was unified back then, proper England, no Wales, no Cornwall, no Ireland, no Scotland.
1066 opened them up.
Under the anglosaxons they were a backwater country constantly invaded by the Danes.
England unified under Æthelstan, it was a pretty big moment.
Had the Normans not invaded England then who knows what might have happened. Harold might decide to just say it on the island doing nothing, the Norwegians might have tried another go at it.
The English language would be much different, for sure.
As another anon said, 1066 led, in a way, to the 100 years war and the rivalry with France, which you might remember played a big part in the American Revolution.
All of history is connected and, in my opinion, the most important parts of English history are: unification, 1066, Magna Carta, 100 years war, Anglicanism, revolution and Cromwell, Britain, loss of India (that pretty much signaled the loss of all colonies)

But not American revolution, didn't they roll with it, open relations and trade with you?
Spain refused to recognize any of its former colonies and invaded Mexico.
I know Britain invaded when Andrew Jackson, but that was done later on. There was not as much money in the 13 colonies like in the Caribbean or the East Indies.
>>
>>71052375
Parliament broke the colonial charters.
>>
>>71052510
That's a big ass book
>>
>>71052854
mind giving a source, never heard of that explanation
>>
>>71052892
Actually read a history book instead of memeing. The public in England supported the revolutionaries because they thought parliament went to far.
>>
>>71051924
It was literally a small part of an intercontinental conflict.
>>
>>71052880
4u
>>
>>71053023
It was the center of it and a major world changing event.
>>
>>71052962
>memeing
I asked you for a source because of all of the reasons for the revolution I have never heard of this
and you literally tell me to find a source, even though the burden of proof is on you
wew
>>
>>71053039
Meh i picked up a copy yesterday
>>
>>71052738
there are too many events that could "change" everything from allow to divorce Catherine to not burning of joan of arc or the complete censor of Galileo or the amada
history doesn't work on one instance alone
>>
>>71053044
The events and nation it led to were pretty big, but at the time not that much and to consider it Britain's most important loss is nonsense, they still had hegemony over the world and a vast rich empire that would get bigger.
I'd argue the American Revolution affected France more than Britain, and certainly affected Latin America more.
>>
>>71053050
http://revolution.h-net.msu.edu/essays/contro.html
>>
>>71053094
It forced britian to invest heavier in India. And it bankrupted the king forcing him to give up power and the profits from his lands
>>
>>71053089
One moment in history doesn't change everything, history builds upon itself.
Like a house, every brick a different event but all of them the foundation of what's next.
>>
>>71051924
It wasn't
>>
>>71053103
ah ok, has to do a fair bt with the lack of parliamentary representation also i guess

thanks
>>
>>71053064
Good lad
>>
>>71053162
Remember though that at the time the king was already pretty irrelevant, and that particular king wasn't the sharpest tool in the box.
It affected Britain of course, but it wasn't their greatest loss, is what I'm arguing.
>>
>>71053189
And the date that the last charter was broke was 1763.
>>
1066 isn't a loss for England, it's its date of birth.
>>
>>71052357
Going to laugh when China starts carpet bombing your cancerous stain of a nation with nuclear liberation.
Americans are the worst people online and off.
>>
>>71053239
Id say it was because if you read the literature at time they all predicated that England would become a back water and the american colonies would be the center of the british empire
>>
File: 1486182172384.gif (12KB, 227x224px) Image search: [Google]
1486182172384.gif
12KB, 227x224px
>>71053297
>>
>>71053297
I don't think anyone disagrees
>>
>>71052154
Because you were so afraid of losing the 13 Colonies and valued them so highely that you tried to continually appease them with very low taxes to avoid losing that new world foothold.

It was intended to be your greatest long term investment. Britain just prior to losing the Colonies was on top of the world and easily the strongest power in Europe. France AND Spain both jumped in later once it was apperent you could actually lose the war.

You got absolutely dicked in that war with how much territory you lost.
>>
>>71051924
Because there have been worse, eg. Singapore 1941, Hastings 1066
>>
Americans like to think they beat the biggest empire the world or whatever, but in 1776 the British Empire was small and the British Army wasn't even big.

If the colonies had tried that shit in the 1800s they would have got rekt
>>
>>71053774
If France, and to a lesser extent, Spain, hadn't helped they would have get rekt
>>
>>71053774
Bullshit. Britain was percieved as the strongest power in Europe at the time. France and Spain double teamed them precisely because they saw Britain as a huge threat.
>>
>>71053931
No it wasn't.
>>
>>71053931
What the fuck is this shit, there is no such thing as american nation, the nation of the people who fought in 1776 was the same as the English, they just created a new English nation without crown control.
>>
>>71053931
If you would read documents from the era you can clearly see that USA was simply a union of white states, the nation were whites.
>>
>>71053774
this desu
>>
>>71054015
there was 0 difference between England and the English states in the US, because same race and people.
>>
>>71053962
After the 7 years war, Britain was seen as untouchable, particularly in new world colonization. France and Spain covertly supported American independence, and then outright jumped in the war to weaken Britain's stranglehold in colonization.
>>
>>71054015
non whites were not the nation of the founders, only the white nation, the states were not the nation, the race was the nation.
>>
>>71054110
>American independence
There is no such thing as America, especially not at the time.
>>
>>71054110
It may have been perceived as the strongest colonial power. But it most certainly wasn't perceived as the strongest power in Europe.
>>
>>71054015
>>71054038
>>71054134
>>71054060
What the fuck is up with this autist?
>>
>>71054238
not my fault you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>71054235
Colonialism was seen as the primary future outlet of expanding in power, as encroaching territory in Europe had become increasingly difficult, costly, and tedious.

And it turned out to be true.
>>
>>71054384
>colonialism
no such thing.
>>
>>71054344
You just randomly started spouting about ethnic white nations or some bullshit for no reason at all. It had literally nothing to do with the conversation.
>>
>>71054430
I stated facts when you started with your "american" "nation" bullshit.
>>
>>71054406
You are legitimately fucking crazy dude. Go see a doctor.
>>
>>71054384
No it wasn't, that's British revisionism.

Colonialism was always the consolation prize for countries that had become unable to expand in Europe. France was entirely focused on Europe. It gave away the vast expanses that French adventurers had acquired overseas because it didn't give a fuck.
>>
>>71054484
I did not even fucking say the words "American" or "nation" once in this post >>71053931 you quoted weirdo.
>>
>>71054516
stupid nigger.

>>71054486
dumb retard.
>>
>>71053774
>Americans like to think they beat the biggest empire the world or whatever, but in 1776 the British Empire was small and the British Army wasn't even big.

"In July of 1776, a vast British armada arrived off New York City. It numbered some 500 ships and 35,000 men, the biggest military force to appear in the Western Hemisphere until the Civil War. George Washington had less than 20,000 ragged soldiers to oppose the might of the invader."

"The second half of 1776 was a disaster for the American cause. At the Battle of Long Island on August 17, Washington's ragtag army was driven from the field by Lord Howe's crack redcoats. Rainy, foggy weather allowed the Continental Army to escape to Manhattan, then retreat into New Jersey. The British army followed close behind, buglers blowing fox hunt calls to mock them."

"All things said, the fact that the Continental Army survived at all was due to a bit of luck and excessive caution on the part of the enemy. The countryside was rough, Howe had a difficult time provisioning his army, and with winter setting in, he was not eager to fight. The British general preferred to spend more time in bed with his mistress, actually the wife of a subordinate, a fact that American newspapers often made fun with."
>>
>>71054529
You have to be 18+ to post here.
>>
>>71053633
>Britain just prior to losing the Colonies was on top of the world and easily the strongest power in Europe

?????
>>
>>71052061
Nothing important happened before 1776
>>
>>71054649
They had already established themselves as the strongest naval power in the world at that time.
>>
>>71054703
No.
>>
>>71054703
The Brits are just humble
>>
>>71055021
Yes. They pushed Spain's shit in during the 7 years war.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.