[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

English speaker trying to learn Chinese. Any good tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: chinese_language.png (9KB, 400x204px) Image search: [Google]
chinese_language.png
9KB, 400x204px
English speaker trying to learn Chinese.
Any good tips or places to start?
>>
Chinese is very very easy to learn, you don't have to worry about a lot of things. Word order is simple and there are no cases, no declensions, no tenses, no bullshit. Tones still fuck me up though.
>>
>>70489505
>OP
So far the only thing I've really gotten down is the number system. It was surprisingly easy. I think the part that's really psyching me out is the writing system.
>>
>>70489337
https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearning/comments/23l7p4/resources_for_over_40_languages100s_of_gbs/
>>
>>70489561
>OP
Thanks dude, I've been looking for something like this for a while now
>>
>>70489552
Yeah. Numbers are very easy to grip. It's one of the first things I picked up. Writing is tough at first but after you get at odds with stroke order and strokes themselves it comes easy. Something that's different about chinese is that you can't figure out how to pronounce a word based on looking at it. Reading is still difficult for me.
>>
>>70489604
>OP
I have a few friends who are fluent with Chinese, and they told me that after a while you begin to just recognize specific characters, and you can just infer what the other ones are.
>>
>>70489337

The best alternative is to start speaking right away with someone who speaks chinese (maybe not that easy at the beginning), start listening chinese music, watch chinese movies/videos, save some images in chinese, all of this even if you don't understand. Start studying chinese and after a while you'll suddenly recognize general ideas on Chinese media.
>>
>>70489633
That's how it is sometimes. If you spot the "tree" radical in a character in can tip you off for example. Like how 看 means to watch, and has the eye radical in there
>>
>>70489654
>OP
Do you have any particular recommendations for Chinese music?
>>
>>70489633
This is definitely true. In Chinese there are lots of character compounds that share a common character but with a different radical, which gives you a clue as to the meaning of the word. Often, these characters will have a very similar pronunciation, with only the tone changing.

For instance, all of
情 請 清 青
are qing, but with different tones. There are no hard rules, obviously. Some other similar-looking characters may have entirely different pronunciations.
>>
>>70489604
Why is stroke order so important? Does it make writing more intuitive?
>>
>>70489337
Get a chink wife
>>
>>70489806
>OP
Got a GF
>>
>>70489732

You can start with this list, found it while lurking in a Japanese Music recommendations list
http://pastebin.com/d5Gh3CCt

I don't have personal recommendations because I'm not into chinese (just have some folklore albums), but those tips apply for any language you want to learn. I'm learning Russian though.

What you can try is going to a World Wide Internet Radio site and start listening chinese stations
>>
File: 1469673528284.png (946KB, 1400x5552px) Image search: [Google]
1469673528284.png
946KB, 1400x5552px
Here's a tip. Don't.
>>
>>70489802
It's not necessarily more intuitive, seeing as there are no hard rules. Knowing the stroke order of a characters demonstrates you understand the radicals a character is composed of - and the more radicals and their stroke orders you have learned, suddenly characters with like 27 strokes seem very easy to write. Not to mention knowing the stroke order and number of strokes is essential for looking up unfamiliar characters in a dictionary.
>>
>>70489337
If you are a student at uni, sign up for classes. This will give you the foundation to learn shit on your own easily enough, also introductory languages courses are easy grades.
>>
>>70489598

FUCK, forgot that Kickass is dead, here:

https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6692298/Chinese_Language_Learning_Pack
>>
>>70489892
>rely on the Danish to be the buzzkill
t-thanks...
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.