[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png (2KB, 300x158px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
2KB, 300x158px
Hello Americans,

is "literally" the new "basically"?
>>
THE CRINGIEST MANCHILD TO EVER LIVE ON PLANET EARTH
>>
>>70485799
basically yes
>>
literally no
>>
File: flag.png (29KB, 1235x650px)
flag.png
29KB, 1235x650px
>>70485935
Lies!
>>
>>70485946
i could careless
>>
>>70485799
No, they are both used frequently and have different meanings. Even though it is grammatically correct now, most people will think you're an idiot if you use literally in a non-literal context.

Basically is a buffer word you put in front of important things you're about to say in order to get the person's attention before going forward and saying the words you need them to hear.
>>
>>70485946
basically is a summation of sorts, it's not meant to be used ironically

literally shouldn't be but is used ironically even though it's suppose to be the opposite
>>
basically I'm not literally sure
t.American
>>
File: 1470615771602.jpg (133KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1470615771602.jpg
133KB, 1024x768px
>>70485968
>>70486021
Thank you very much for these answers.
Please take this rare German Spurdo.

>>70486076
What are you doing in Estonia? Are you a soldier?
>>
what's the new oh my god?
>>
I was gonna say good catch but no, just realized it's an example of a different phenomenon. It's one of those things that the society collectively decides is bad and annoying and that hordes of people do it, then makes it into a meme, and then it gets to a stage where for every case of it happening there's a thousand cases of people being fucking crybabies about it.
See also: jokes about vegans who can't shut up about being vegan, vaping, etc.

Additional info: it's also a really good illustration of what prescriptivism vs. descriptivism is about if you have to explain it to someone, never thought of that before. Judging by how prescriptivism almost always loses in the end (and thank Allah for that), prepare your asses for "literally" having two opposite meanings by next generation or the one after it at most :^)
>>
>>70486116
:p
>>
>>70486116
He's not literally an American
Basically , he's impersonating one
>>
>>70486213
Yeah, I was pretty much just going to say the same thing. It's like, first off, you Germans and your autism when it comes to humor or sarcasm are pretty much legendary on this board, and basically, he's obviously not American because then he'd say "basically I'm literally not sure"

(pls note the subtle implication that "pretty much" is pretty much the new "basically" instead)
>>
>>70486281
I hope Russia will finally invade rest-Ukraine and rape and murder and burn down anything in their way.
>>
>>70486332
That's not very nice, is it? Besides, that'd mean millions more refugees in G*rmany, all enjoying the ritzy conditions in refugee centers and Hartz IV shekels that your taxes went to, Fritz :^)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.