[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you consider Singapore and the Netherlands as Anglo countries?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Singapore_2015_lang.png (61KB, 720x558px) Image search: [Google]
Singapore_2015_lang.png
61KB, 720x558px
Do you consider Singapore and the Netherlands as Anglo countries? According to the last Singaporean Census in 2015, English is now the most spoken home language for the resident population in Singapore, having surpassed Mandarin Chinese, it went up from 23.0% in 2000 to 36.9% in 2015, while Mandarin Chinese went from 35.0% in 2000 to 34.9% in 2015.
And taking into account only people aged 15 years and over, 83.1% are literate in English

According to the Eurobarometer Report "Europeans and their Languages" from 2012 91% of the Dutch population aged 15 and over can speak English, the figures from Malta, Sweden and Denmark are 93%, 88% and 87% respectively

For comparison, according to the 2011 Canadian Census "only" 85.6% of Canadian can speak English.
>>
>>70440896
>>
Made me think.
>>
>>70442177
Does America consider Canada as an Anglo country?
>>
>>70442207
By 2036, Canada will be run by immigrants(being serious here, look it up). The white race is finished for good
>>
>>70442207
Americans don't even know what Anglo means.
>>
>>70440896
I had a news flash.

Seems the city in Mirrors Edge is based off of Signapore then. I always wondered where a perfect anglo-chinese city would be.
>>
No, they aren't "anglo countries".

It's a lot more than just speaking the language. It's a combination of having inherited UK legal systems, english as a national language (or at least a de facto one), the common law, the democratic tradition, having a large proportion of anglo-saxon populace, and having the economic structures derived from British industrialization.

The Anglosphere is exclusively comprised of Canada, USA, UK, NZ, and Australia.
>>
>>70440896
No.
>>
>>70442294
But why is Quebec included and not Ireland? What about Belize and the rest of the Caribbean English speaking countries? And what about some Pacific countries that also possess a lot of those traits? American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands and the United States Virgin Islands are literally American colonies and the same goes to other territories with similar geopolitical situations like Malvinas or Niue, Tokelau and Cook islands, are they Anglo or not?
>>
>>70440896

Seeing as how Singapore was built by the British, this isn't news.
>>
88% does not speak English fluently. I assume the definition is something like being able to order food and read a simple text
>>
>>70440896
>For comparison, according to the 2011 Canadian Census "only" 85.6% of Canadian can speak English.
god damn I fucking love being Québécois sometimes
>>
>>70443202
Is Quebec really to Canada what the South is to the United States, i.e. filled with surly, backwards rednecks?
>>
>>70440896
Nee.
>>
>>70443219
No, it's not even slightly the most redneck part of Canada. The Atlantic provinces and the prairie provinces are much more redneck.

Our way of speaking French is a bit redneck-like though. Tons of contractions, ellipsis of words, strange archaic vocabulary which dissapeared centuries ago in Europe, our fair share of anglicisms, removing and adding consonants at the end of words on a seemingly random basis, removing letters all over the place, and a huge diversity of vowels (at least, compared to our European counterparts).
>>
>>70440896
No
>>
>>70440896
yes
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.