[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were the mongols so powerful and feared? Did europeans stand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 10

File: Genghis Khan.jpg (49KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Genghis Khan.jpg
49KB, 600x400px
Why were the mongols so powerful and feared?

Did europeans stand any chace against Genghis Khan and the mongol hordes in the early 1200s?
>>
>>70414980
Because of gunpowder and mobility of mongolian armies.
Litterally, knights and heavy cavalry was nothing compared to mobile ranged cavalry.
>>
>>70415026
I didn't know gunpowder already existed like 800 years ago. It's much older than i expected, apparently.
>>
>>70414980
Well yes since they were pushed back
I mean you may argue "yeah well they just didn't want to push into Germany and beyond" but even then there is a reason why they didn't want to. Probably that it was very populated and very inconvenient to conquer a land full of castles and honestly much more trouble than it was worth for them.
>>
>>70414980
They would have gotten blown the fuck out had they tried advancing into the heartland of Europe. Their tactics only worked well against Europeans living in the plains and steppe of Eastern Europe
>>
>>70415266
They didnt advance into europe any further because Ogedai had just died and the mongol leaders had to convene in Karakorum to choose a new Khan
>>
>>70415266
>very populated
Very? They passed though more populated areas.
Considering the fact turks BTFO Byzantium you can easily consider Mongols would've done the same with us. Even if it was earlier, Hungarians and Bulgarians BTFO us as well.

I think we got saved because we were too far, they penetrated Poland once or twice but didn't wanted to go that far.
>>
>>70415378
The belt saved you once again
>>
>>70415378
The Huns, Magyars, Bulgarians, Mongols and various other Eurasian nomads never managed to take anything past Eastern Europe, though
>>
>>70415377
Yes and Jesus Christ himself killed the mongol king as to save Europe, i know the story that doesn't mean there weren't other reasons

>>70415378
Fair enough
>>
>>70415435
Was it their purpose? They were just doing raids from outer bases.
>>
>>70415459
Based Jesus saved the day.
>>
>>70414980
>Did europeans stand any chace against Genghis Khan and the mongol hordes in the early 1200s?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Mongol_invasion_of_Hungary

Germany is home to thousands of castles, which makes it difficult to display here. Thus, a full list will not be provided here. Instead this list will be comprised thus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_castles_in_Germany
>>
Maybe they could have taken italy and germany, but i think france and england were too powerful for the mongols.
>>
>>70415488
The Bulgarians and Magyars did settle permanently in Europe, so I think in many cases it was their purpose.
>>
>>70415605
They settled in central Europe first to raid the west after (or at least the Hungarians did this).

>>70415518
>Huns in charge of killing Mongols
>>
>>70415518
Why does every idiot on this site always bring up castles when this topic comes up? The Mongols had successfully sacked plenty of fortresses during their rampage. Don't believe me? Go fucking do some reading. You have the greatest collection of knowledge ever assembled in the history of mankind at your fingertips, yet you'd rather display total ignorance than to use it.

Yes I'm having a bad day and you're the dog in my path to kick.
>>
>>70415744
Settle down mate
>>
>>70415744
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_castles_in_Germany
Germany could not be touched without immidiate German coalitions.
>>
>>70414980
large empires on the steppes was nothing new, mongols was just exceptionally large
European warfare was designed for Europe and steppe warefare for the steppes, neither would succeed in the wrong geography
>>
>>70416129
>steppe warfare was designed for the steppes
>Iran is a steppe country
>>
>>70415377
literally this
there was no way any european country could have beaten back a full mongol invasion. poland and north of germany are all flat and no european army would have stood a chance against the mongols there
sure, they wouldn't have been running around taking castles in the forests and the alps, but if they went in determined to massacre 50% of euro population, they would have done it
they had longer range bows and each horseman had 4 horses he switched. they'd just put arrows into your army and keep their distance until the enemies have died to arrows or frustration.
that's why i hate those fucking mongol pussies
i wish i was living in ivan the terrible's time, around when he was taking kazan and astrakhan. i would have really, really enjoyed the mongol removals of that era.
>>
>>70416129
>Anatolia is a steppe region
>Balkans are a steppe region
>Caucasus is a steppe region
>There is nothing but steppes in central Asia
>>
>>70416294
dumb fuck they did many times.
>>
>>70416298
well the mongols wouldn't have given you a battle anywhere other than the flatland
the battle against the turks in anatolia was actually pretty hard for the mongols
as for balkans, the mongols that tried to chase the hungarian king into croatian mounatins got btfo'd in ambushes and mountain skirmishes. also, the mongols also lost to a serbian king when they tried to cross over danube and into the balkans. they did need an open plain to fight well
>>
>>70416129
>There is no steppes or flat lands in Europe
>>
>>70416419
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Mongol_invasion_of_Poland
>>
>>70416409
i know they did but they didn't go further after beating the poles and hungarians only because ogedei died. and they didn't really massacre half of europe by the time they got halfway through poland
>>
>>70416459
they got beat by poland and hungary.
>>
File: 2ec.png (572KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
572KB, 600x580px
>>70416129
>Mfw Mongols MIND THE STEPPE
>>
File: hulagu-khan.jpg (22KB, 211x300px)
hulagu-khan.jpg
22KB, 211x300px
>>70415985
Bullshit. Even in their later days mongols gave little to no fuck how big the enemy was or how tough their fortresses were, Hulagu practically sacked whole persia in his lifetime and later Temur Lame did the same.

I'd say the problem was administration and the nomadic lifestyle of mongols themselves making settled rule hard. That's why their main power shifted to ruling china with Yuan dynasty.
>>
File: flat,800x800,070,f.jpg (80KB, 800x682px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,070,f.jpg
80KB, 800x682px
>>70416527
>tfw no hulagu khan
>>
File: 1484058955203.jpg (31KB, 433x419px) Image search: [Google]
1484058955203.jpg
31KB, 433x419px
>>70416129
>Be Australia
>Be a steppe country
>GET KHAN'D
>>
>>70416519
like hell they did
at the time it was the mongol empire, and not splintered khanates doing the invasions, the mongol army massacred both the polish and hungarian army in two battles like 5 days apart
>>
Great China ended in the era of the Song Dynasty.
China after the Mongol invading is no great.
>>
File: Nueva Hispania.jpg (81KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
Nueva Hispania.jpg
81KB, 800x500px
>>70416565
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfonso_III_of_Asturias
tfw no alfonso III
>>
>>70416294
I agree with you. I can't stand how the mongols are loved nowadays, and like you I've had the exact same fantasy of being a Russian during that era and massacring Mongols to the point of their destruction. They would deserve it.
>>
Why you love vikings but hate mongols?
>>
>>70415111
It was used in very crude canons and guns that shot rocks
>>
>>70417257
I don't like Vikings either. However, I don't hate them anywhere near as much as I hate the Mongols because they are responsible for much less destruction and suffering.
>>
>>70415435
Maygars raided France
>>
>>70417257
less impactful.
>>
>>70417363
"Raided" is the key word, they never managed to properly take hold of anything past Eastern Europe.
>>
>>70417348
>native american genocide
>hiroshima and nagasaki
>nanjing
>ww2 death camps
>gommunism gulags and repressions
>I hate dem mongols they were le barbaric warmongers
>>
>>70416909
Who the hell is loving the Mongols? It's just a simple fact that there wasn't a nation on earth at the time that could have withstood a full on mongol invasion. They were the equivalent of the USA for their era, and Europe was the middle east; just a collection of pissant nations full of religious freaks. Stating the obvious doesn't change the fact that had Genghis and then Ogedai not died, each and every one of us would have some amount of mongol blood in our veins.
>>
>>70417414
Vikings didn't even exist when those things occurred, what are you talking about?

Also with all those things considered, the still Mongols had a greater (and more negative) impact on the world.
>>
>>70417506
>They were the equivalent of the USA for their era, the usa is barely a military power.
>>
>>70417506
I wasn't referring to anyone in this thread.
>>
>>70417542
>The Mongols that conquered more land than any other nation in history wasn't a major military power.

Go back to twatter Trump.
>>
>>70416909
Fantasizing about massacring Russians as a Mongol is way more satisfying tbqhwyf
>>
File: mongs.png (25KB, 305x549px) Image search: [Google]
mongs.png
25KB, 305x549px
>>70414980
:^)
>>
>>70417257
Vikings actually were a lot less worse than mongols.
>>
>>70417397
Don't know if they were trying to. Western Europe was still poorer than eastern Europe at the time
>>
>>70417641
Vietnam does it again!
>>
>>70415435
Ottoman nomads ( Akıncılar ) did raid Baltics , Central Europe , Italy ( mostly North but couldn't get past Lombardy ).
>>
I would prefer to be a mongol over being a moor desu

At least mongols have based music and shamanic rites while moorish music is basically ear-rape cacophonic
>>
>>70417257
Both are savages. Rome and Egypt were the pinnacle of civilization.
>>
>>70417774
>>
>>70417744
Those were raids, though. They never managed to settle or hold anything past the Balkans and Ukraine.
>>
>>70417774
>Rome and Egypt were the pinnacle of ancient civilization.
fixed
>>
File: Haplogroup-Q.gif (88KB, 800x581px)
Haplogroup-Q.gif
88KB, 800x581px
>>70417744
Huns got to Germany but never established any sort of permanent settlement anywhere (except the wombs of Swedish women)
>>
>>70417774
Nah, 1700-1900 europe was.
>>
>>70417774
Modern Western civilisation is objectively the best civilisation that has ever existed
>>
>>70415026
there is no ultimate weapon
could do nice job against ranged cavalry simply using archers that will shoot at longer range
but even without it there examples when heavy rus cavalry was lucky to cut through horde straight to their leadres and won battles by killing enemy leaders
so european cavalry also had chance

the might of Genghis was in the fact that he had empire that is able to bring army by numbers and by persantege to whole population much greater then some kingdoms and duches
empire vs kingdom, that's where might is
>>
>>70417363
Huns did , not Magyars. Huns were an altaic tribe that raided Europe , got pope down on his knees while Magyars ( modern day Hungary's descendants ) were an Uralic tribe that settled in of Carpathia. Huns on the other hand just vanished due to death of their Khan. ( Many nomadic Khanates died this way because of the stupid succession laws , in those laws after the death of the Khan , lands would be seperated to East and West and the more powerful heir would rule the East [ because for Central Asian nomads , East were always the better to West ] , so the Khanate splitted and they became an easy target for other Khanates )
>>
>>70417841
Yes however it didn't seem to survive very long.
If you count the first voyage we were really only on top for about 400 years.
>>
>>70417920
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_invasions_of_Europe
>>
>>70417944
Yeah you're right, but I still believe that the last few centuries of civilisation in the Western world have been the greatest of all time, albeit shortlived.
>>
How would Asia look like today if Genghis Khan was never born?
>>
>>70417795
>>70417827
They would easily be assimilated if they were to settle down , that's why nomads never settled the lands they conquered.
For example one of the legendary Turkic Khans , Mete Khan ( Modu Chanyu in chinese archives ) did conquer China but forbid anyone to settle there as they would %100 be assimilated if they were to settle in China since China had a SHITTON of people.
>>
>>70415026
Try to hold a hill with your beloved horse archers and see how that goes.
>>
>>70418063
It would be Indias fuckboy and probably a lot more muslims. Also Middle east would probably be a lot more stronger today.
>>
>>70417641
Hail the mighty Vietnam!
>>
>>70418009
That's the fault of the English languege. Magyars and Huns are entirely different.
>>
>>70418126
I specifically said maygars though
>>
>>70418103
Otherway around. India was dominated by turks for a thousand years
>>
>>70418063
We'd all be Muslim.
>>
>>70418098
Fuck off lindybeige
>>
>>70417920
>altaic
No such thing.
>>
>>70418220
There are many different religions in the Horde, anon. There are Muslim, Nestorian, shamanistic, etc.
>>
>>70418103
>>70418220
Jesus christ...

Thank god for BASED Genghis Khan laying the smackdown on those muslims.
>>
>>70415026
Mongols rarely used gunpowder in field battles. That said it would be very difficult for the mongols to conquer past Hungary since they suck in terrain that didn't favor horse archers. i.e. Burma, Indonesia, Vietnam
>>
>>70418063
The Industrial Revolution might have started somewhere in China. Of course, China as we know it probably wouldn't exist and it would be a bunch of smaller nations instead. Or they might have just stayed feudal even without the mongols wrecking their shit up, and the world would look pretty much the same. Who knows.
>>
>>70418151
I am telling you ameribro , Magyars didn't raid shit. They just settled in Carpathia and became Europeanised. But for some retarded reason English called them Hungarians or Huns , which is even more retarded if you consider even Hungarians call theirselves Magyars
>>70418236
That guy is a special retard , in his opinion only way to beat horse archers is to own foot archers because he thinks horse archers have less range than the foot archers ( which is terribly wrong since Turkic short bow is holding the record for the most powerful punch ).
>>
Ghengis Khan was a genius. He used that genius for slaughter and rape.
>>
>>70418364
Did mongols really rape a lot?
>>
>>70418403
Probably no more than any other conquering nation at the time. But they did wipe out entire civilizations when they got mad.
>>
>>70417363
Combined Roman and Frankish armies pushed them back for good though
>>
>>70418354
No dude re read the article. The Maygars raids end in 955 in western Europe. The Huns were hundreds of years before
>>
>>70418808
After 90 years the hre beat them. Which convinced them to settle down. They still attacked the east for another 25 years
>>
>>70418516
>But they did wipe out entire civilizations when they got mad.

Literally age of empires 2 tier
>>
>>70418354
Ur dumb man
>>
>>70417641
It ain't me start playing
>>
File: magyar campaigns.jpg (99KB, 724x496px)
magyar campaigns.jpg
99KB, 724x496px
>>70417920
hungarians did raid western europe, too
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.