[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever considered settling down in a simple single storey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

Have you ever considered settling down in a simple single storey house you built by yourself? My dad has like 80-100 acres that I will eventually inherit and I'm thinking of building several complexes for basic housing and renting them out. I plan to make them in the "cabin style" with one multi-purpose room at the front and 2 bedrooms in the back.
>>
>>70228442
It's a great idea. Try making those cabins more sustainable. Good luck.
>>
>>70228442
Totally, yeah.
Would really love to build my own house, or at least restore and really old one all by myself. Sadly I will not have the time to do it, or if I have the time to I will not have the money to do so.
>>
>>70228442
Don't you have laws that regulate building houses and prohibit illegal building?
>>
>>70228952

If the building is below a certain height it's usually fine. My dad has built several small barns without having to worry about building codes. And they're quite large, maybe 7 1/5 feet. Just basic shelters for horses.
>>
>>70228442
yeah great idea! I definitely want civil engineers to come and buldozer the fuck up my house.
>>
>>70228442
The house on your pic is like a favelado shack

Looks like Canada isn't that much of a first world, hummmm
>>
>>70228816

Well the typical cabin here is used for camping which means a lot of people use old methods for heating and cooking like wood stoves and furnaces. And they usually bring those water machines you see in office buildings. I'm thinking if I switch to very simple electrical appliances then it wouldn't cost too much to have lights, Internet, etc. My cousin is an electrician so he should be able to help. Would be a lot easier in Brazil because a few solar panels on the roof would easily power an entire home.
>>
>>70229198

It's a picture in Africa. I was looking for ideas on cheap and sturdy building materials. Those cinder blocks are used here for schools and what not but they're usually painted over and insulated. They're very cheap and with a little bit of drywall and paint the interiors would look very modern.
>>
>>70228442
You will get bored / depressed / etc within a year if it's in the middle of nowhere as I suspect.

That kind of place is great to have for a getaway & charging your batteries, but unless you're crazy and/or over 75 you'll start to miss society and urban comforts pretty soon
>>
>>70229287
>answering baits
>>
>>70229441

Not in the middle of nowhere. I don't live in Europe where everyone lives close together. There is plenty of empty land around our cities that would only be a 10 minute drive away.
>>
>>70229287
Here most housing is done like that.
>>
>>70229633

Yeah it's a cheap way to modernise a country. And if you have the materials for interior design then you can make them look like expensive homes. Especially if you build a second storey, expand the floor space and install modern amenities. I know a lot of Mexican "resorts" use this method to offer cheap, luxury hotels for foreigners.
>>
File: 1485043155083.jpg (17KB, 460x256px) Image search: [Google]
1485043155083.jpg
17KB, 460x256px
>>70228952
>prohibit illegal building
>>
File: houseboat-2.jpg (39KB, 620x348px) Image search: [Google]
houseboat-2.jpg
39KB, 620x348px
No, but it's a life goal to one day plan and build my own small floating house. I'm a steel draughtsman and I have a carpenter in the family so that's a lot of bases covered already.

I'm afraid that should it fail it's not gonna be my fault, but the fault of regulations and permits.
>>
>>70228442
yep. its not that hard to build a single storey house tbqhwyou
>>
>>70229287
>insulated
get a load of richie rich right here
>>
>>70229930

Why not just buy a house boat or one of those ferries and renovate it?
>>
>>70229508
Might work, depends. Our family has something like that, where I spent my hideaway year - the nearest shops and a town of about 11k are 10 minutes away, the nearest actual city over an hour away. I can tell you I was pretty much "done" when I left - maybe it would've been better if there was an actual city 10 minutes away.

>>70229930
But that's technically a boat? Does it need any permits if it's parked on a lake in a remote enough area? No idea how it works in Germany tbhbbq
>>
File: cabin.jpg (58KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
cabin.jpg
58KB, 720x405px
>>70229226
Aesthetics do matter a lot when it comes to actually charging people, and some basics like having an actual fireplace are paid for extra even by people who'll just be using alcohol stoves.

Also a working loo, it can be make or break for an angry wife deciding whether she wants to continue indulging his husband's fantasy trip.

I'm not saying you should spend a lot, but a small investment can be worth it.
>>
>>70230457

My goal wasn't to build an empty building in the middle of nowhere. That picture was just a reference of how cheap the structure could be. After it's built it would need insulation, interior and exterior design, electricity, running water, etc. If you've ever seen an American school you'll notice that most of it is built with those kinds of blocks in the picture. They usually don't put drywall over it though, they just leave the blocks exposed and paint over them. But I'm just pointing out that it would look something like that. Not like the pic that was posted.
>>
File: shithouse.jpg (107KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
shithouse.jpg
107KB, 800x533px
>>70230457
>working loo
But the wood chip-operated outhouse is the best defence against whiny, frustrated bitches.
>>
>>70230248
Because I like to plan things exactly according to my personal needs and conceptions. If I buy housing premade I'll have to live a compromise for someone else's profitability.
>>
>>70228442
you would be better off building single complex containing showers/toilets then plotting out the surrounding land for camp sites
unless you have experience building houses they will turn out like shit and cost far more in time and money than you expect
>>
>>70230756

I've built barns but no homes. I've got a lot of masons and carpenters in the family so it should be fine.

>>70230655

But then you're spending a portion of your life working on something you could just buy. You work for money so you can buy stuff. Not so you can work some more.
>>
>>70230918
Sometimes you just gotta do things yourself if you want them done right. If I go to the lengths of financing a home I don't want the cheapest solution and not even the best value solution, but the best solution period. I want to be one hundred percent happy with the outcome.
>>
>>70230597
Oh I c, sounds like a good plan, do try to pay attention to small details, I've had weekend trips cut short on just some ill defined displeasure with the acomodations and my ex was laidback hippy cool as fuck. Something as dumb as a view can nag on a girl even if she's legit cool with the arrangements, which does eventually mean she nags on you.

Having said that there's a lot of relatively cheap tricks to make any room seem better, even luxurious, if you're serious about this check out the competition in town and start working on a ballpark estimate of how much you'd be looking to charge, that will not allow you to estimate costs thinking of a return on investment, but give you an idea on what rate of ocupancy you should aim for at a minimum and how realistic is that.

It might seem a lot of extra work for a small project you'll invest little on and may only be looking at as an experiment but attention to detail always makes a difference when it comes to the bottomline.
>>
>>70230918
either way just find a local draftsman/surveyor and get a quote for some proper plans they will also get approval with the local council etc.
the actual building can be done by anyone
>>
>>70231086

My plan was to build something for myself first and then maybe some rental properties. Rental properties around here are very expensive and you have to share a building (and sometimes a room) with another person. So having separate units that people can rent out for cheaper would pull in a lot of interest by itself. Of course having good units would be better but for now I'm focusing on myself.

>>70231201

Plans? You want me to hire a contractor to draw something on paper that I could do myself?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.