[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

you're a fucking cunt Does your country support Linux ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: ubuntu.jpg (105KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu.jpg
105KB, 1600x1000px
you're a fucking cunt
Does your country support Linux ?
Is it popular where you live?

>Spain
>No but my school did.
>It's not very popular
>>
My country runs on a pirated copy of Windows 95
>>
>>69002015
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
Plenty of businesses use GNU+Linux for servers and other things, but Windows and Macs are intensely popular.
>>
>>69002195
What you're refering to as GNU/Linux, is in fact, Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux is an operating system unto itself, and doesn't require the free component of a fully functioning GNU system, the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

>>69002200
yes, linux is widespread in server usage, but as it doesnt usually come pre-installed it can be quite hard for normies to ever even come across it
>oldfags would rather bloat up their 2004 WinXP computer with Windows 7 than upgrade to linux and forget about viruses forever
>>
I work in the IT industry and everyone I know fucking hates Microsoft and Windows and is constantly vouching for Linux to take over completely
>>
File: stallman and his gf.jpg (646KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
stallman and his gf.jpg
646KB, 2048x1536px
Not really, but my university had some computer labs with Linux PCs.

I've been using Linux as my main desktop OS for almost two years now.
>>
>>69002355
Es un copypasta de Stallman

Besides, in my faculty (chemistry) it is widely used for research, all the computers on the physical-chemistry departments run on linux
>>
>>69002520
>>69002672
what are those computers used for in university? complex calculations ?
>>69002512
it only makes sense
i've seen a site that sold overpriced 25$ USB sticks that had linux LiveUSB on them, listing them as "a device to make your PC inmune to virus"
that would be one way to promote it.
>>
>>69002985
We basically use them for octave/mathlab, programs in which you write scripts and such to carry out calculations (as you pointed out), for iterative processes, or plot drawing, or problems with no analytical solutions etc.
>>
>>69002015
is cheap, some people had that at work and is usually shit with office, both libre and open office
>>
>>69002985
It was a general lab for any students, but the computers were loaded with open source software for DNA alignments and molecular phylogenetics, which is what I used them for.

If I remember correctly, they had Red Hat Linux.
>>
>>69002015

Your school used GNU/Linux?

wtf i love spain now!
>>
>>69002355
You're doing it wrong, you're supposed to replace Linux with GNU/Linux and GNU with something like X, KDE, systemd...

Anyway. Answering your question: at least here in Curitiba*, it's somewhat common on public access machines (as in universities) and on market boxes. Some tech-unsavvy people bash Linux due to a certain brand of pre-assembled cheap computers (Positivo) selling computers pre-installed with a really crap local distro (Phoenix Linux) and the refusing to give people support.

Two good distros from the local scene: Conectiva (eventually bought by Mandrake and fused into Mandriva) and Kurumin (noob-friendly, Debian-based, live CD). The later was really popular.

*since both Conectiva and Positivo are from my city, take my comment with a grain of salt, I might be living on some Linux stronghold of sorts. Kurumin is either from here too or from São Paulo.
>>
>>69003293
Yes!
It was ubuntu at first, and when they released Ubuntu Unity, they switched to Linux Mint.
But only in Informática room (IT)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.