[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How different your language was 2 centuries ago? Would you still

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

How different your language was 2 centuries ago?

Would you still be as fluent in it, were you to teleport 200 years back?

Picrelated: pre-revolutionary Russian masturbation cure (lol) advertisement.

The old Russian has a much different grammar and I wouldn't have been able to fluently write in it, despite understanding the meaning.
>>
>>68950530
As we read many old sources in our history class I must say that old German (like you said 200 years ago) isn't much different. Just some words that are not used so much anymore.
>>
>>68950530
>back to 1816
hmmm it was sameish but with different graphy, i guess..
it's hard to know how many changes were made on modern guarani language because it was literaly rebuilt from the ashes of war for the centenary of our independence (1911). plus it had more of an oral tradition, since most legal documents were in spanish. you know how Positivism was back then: european good, native bad
>>
I can barely write in cursive because all my writing is via computer these days. Regarding writing, I'd be fucked in any period before the widespread use of the pencil and/or introduction of the ballpoint pen.

Speaking-wise, I'd probably be able to fumble through a conversation back to the 16th century, although I'd be confused by some phrases and words and so would whoever I'd be talking to.
>>
Same
>>
File: face.jpg (15KB, 324x291px) Image search: [Google]
face.jpg
15KB, 324x291px
>>68950530
>onanizmom
>>
>>68950530
Would not be able to write in it "properly" due to non existence of a standard (some prople wrote in Western dialect, other in Central or Eastern, Central being closest to modern standard and Eastern the weirdest).

But I would understand it, hell, I understand 1500s Czech and that is technically a foreign language.
>>
>>68950530

Two centuries would be totally fine. I think I'd be groovy up until this point.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bd/Enm-Merchant_Prologue.ogg
>>
File: Celestina.jpg (264KB, 900x1272px) Image search: [Google]
Celestina.jpg
264KB, 900x1272px
very different but understandable
golden age of spanish literature too
>mfw latin america still uses expressions from 1600's spain
>>
>>68957700
I can say the same of Portuguese.
>>
>>68950530
People wrote more poetically (aka long winded and wordy) but it's perfectly fine.

It starts getting hard in the 17th century and prior.
>>
>>68957799
What I might have to get used to is actually the opposite. In 1816, Slovak was more of a dialect group than an unitary language. A lot of old rural regional terms would be unknown to me. I would understand more formal texts better.
>>
>>68957700
Czech is closer to Slovak than Portuguese to Spanish and a lot of forms and diphtongs nlt used in modern Czech but present in modern Slovak were actually present in Czech up until the 16th century.
>>
>>68958143
Interesting,

English is weird to me because there is such a big jump in comprehension between middle english and what shakespeare used. I can understand shakespeare with a bit more mental effort but I have more comprehension of Latin than middle english.
>>
>>68950530
If you're educated enough, sure you could understand everything no problem
As to make yourself understandable, it all depends on whom you're talking to. 200 years ago only a small minority of people outside Tuscany were fluent in Italian so if you were talking to common people you'd have to familiarize yourself with hardcore dialect, I'd only be able to understand those near my town
>>
>>68957700
Such as?
>>
>>68958403
Slavic languages are very conservative through. I even understand Old Church Slavonic in the "getting a general meaning sense" although the mostly religious theme of OCS texts helps (I listened to them being sungor read out on youtube, I cannot read Glagolitic or old Cyrilic), while I get nothing from Old English.

It should be said proto-Slavic probably transformed dramatically around the 5-6th century. I have seen reconstructions of proto-Slavic of that period and itlooked almost more like Lithuanian to me. OCS is from 9-13th century.
>>
>>68950530
Would be almost identical, effortless to understand.

>>68957799
>17th century english
>hard

Even later Middle English is easy to read
>>
>>68958740
>proto-Slavic
>5-6 century
It's called Balto-Slavic though.
>>
>>68959473
No, Balto-Slavic split up in 1500 BC.
>>
>>68959473
Also I don't think it is a coincidence. 5th century is the Migration period. When we split up from Baltic, we probably drifted away slowly from them, then our (at that time unitary) language dramarically mutated upon the migrations.
>>
>>68950530
>Would you still be as fluent in it, were you to teleport 200 years back?
Yes, even 300 years back.
Pic related is a french text from 1751 and it's still very understandable.
And the reason is that French academicians are very purists, so we didn't change our grammar a lot
>>
>>68960394
The thing through, pronounciation was different, closer to written.
>>
>>68959088
Shakespeare and his followers were somewhat understandable but most other 17th Century English was "i boucht a' whair fir thouth a farthing t' mi' mustress on aihm a boot wineargh a ya-tier gibberish.
>>
>>68950530
No. Sweden has gone through several spelling reforms, borrowed tons of new words and ditched loads of old ones. Simply reading the great works from the late 1800s is quite difficult, though admittedly I've always been pretty bad at Swedish.
>>
>>68958586
there are many archaisms wich are long forgotten words in spain but still used in latin-america
>vos
>pararse
there are many more but i dont really interact with them enough to know
>>
>>68962219
A spaniard told me that a word they use for car in South America is the word Spain uses for wagon (or something to that effect).
>>
>>68961139
The standard French still very closer to written, tho
>>
File: carro.jpg (147KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
carro.jpg
147KB, 1024x683px
>>68962522
yes, they say "carro" for cars
pic related is what it means in Spain
they also use loads of anglo loan words that aren't really needed
>freezer for refrigerator
>pickup for pickup trucks
>"DeeVeeDee" for DVD
>>
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=oSRWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=wj8NAAAAIBAJ&pg=4525%2C1603702

American, 1817

Perfectly readable, odd random capitalization though
>>
>>68957410
Which Welsh shire does this strange speech originate from?
>>
written finnish barely existed before late 19th century
>>
>>68950530
It's weird grammer and weird words sometimes, but understandable with a bit of effort. They very oftenly spoke indirectly, never mentioned things by the word, like some snobs would do these days. So you have to read a bit closer and get the meaning.
>>
>>68962219
>pararse
??
>>68962828
For us freezer is the part where frozen food goes, and we say heladera instead of refrigerador.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.