[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a particular reason why English proficiency is highest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: HK90314-INFO.jpg (754KB, 2700x2587px) Image search: [Google]
HK90314-INFO.jpg
754KB, 2700x2587px
Is there a particular reason why English proficiency is highest in the Nordic countries?

They don't have culture, so they primarily consume it from the Anglo sphere?
>>
>>68844838
There's thing called language families.
>>
The English language originated in Germany/Denmark and Nordic languages have similar grammar systems. The closest relative to English is Frisian, which is spoken in the Netherlands.

Note that aside from Hungary & Finland, the top spots are all Germanic countries.
>>
Submissive cuck mentality

It's also the reason why they take so many refugees and hand free money to them and neets
>>
>>68844838
Lol this is so inflated, every german that has visited an english class once will say that he speaks it, absolute garbage map.
>>
>>68844838
It's simple, we're small countries with a lot of exports.

Before the second world war, German had the position that English does now. When you're as small and reliant on people buying your products /services English is a must.

In the picture you linked it even said that the more people who are fluent in English the better their export market seems to be doing.

We are not Ireland, our native languages aren't going anywhere, but we are pretty much bi-lingual at this point.
>>
>>68844998
Seriously though, how easy is it for Germans to learn English?
>>
>>68844958
>Submissive cuck mentality
Is that why you made the language of your previous conquerors an official national language?
>>
>>68845031
Its a bit confusing but not that hard.
School doesnt teach it well and you either learn it on your own or you forget everything.
10% is a more realistic number.
>>
>tfw Swedish speaking Finn

I'm basically trilingual desu

Besides having excellent proficiency at Finnish, Swedish and English, I can also somewhat communicate with German, Japanese and Russian.
>>
>mexico being this bad
is almost like we do it in porpuse
>>
>>68845207
Good for you man. You should get fluent on those other languages though.
>>
>>68844838
there is no way japan is more proficient in english than japan, even the people in fucking japanese tourist centres dont speak english
>>
>>68845327
>Japan
>>
File: thinking-face.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinking-face.png
53KB, 256x256px
>>68845327
I thought Australians had a good proficiency in english
>>
>>68845327
What the fuck am I reading.
>>
>>68845297
Thanks. And yeah, I know. I'm working on it.
>>
>>68845327
There is no way Japan is better than Japan at speaking Japan. This numbers must have been manipulated in order to favour Japan over Japan to spread Japanese propaganda around the world while diminishing the achievements of the Japanese people.

Japan, Japan, Japan.
>>
>>68845327
http://www.ef.pl/epi/about-epi/

>The EF EPI is constructed each year from the results of a set of English tests
>Two tests are open to any Internet user for free. The third is an online placement test used by EF during the enrollment process for English courses

Basically, it accounts only for the ones who are actually interested in learning the language. Or in other words, the ranking is utterly worthless.
>>
File: Spede.jpg (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Spede.jpg
11KB, 200x200px
>>68845327
> there is no way japan is more proficient in english than japan
that's correct
>>
I wish I could take a fifth of my English knowledge and reinforce my Spanish. Have an "even spread" sort of deal...
Or at least add that fifth to German
>>
>>68845615
I feel you.
English is so ubiquitous you have no choice but to use it. Meanwhile with other languages you actually have to go out of your way to inconvenience yourself by watching untranslated movies and reading untranslated books.

Maybe I should take up chink or some other language that never bothers to export its entertainment.
>>
>>68845421
He's probably been bitten by an Inland taipan and the venom has gotten to his head.
>>
netherlands confirmed nordic
>>
>>68845667
That's why I play the new Witcher game with Polish sounds
>>
>>68845824
Shut up poo
>>
File: whadafug.png (10KB, 211x246px) Image search: [Google]
whadafug.png
10KB, 211x246px
>>68845327
>>
>>68845327
Straya_dancing.webm
>>
>>68845412
You should start learning Estonian too. It should be quite easy
>>
>>68846008
>tfw witcher books aren't more popular than ASOIAF

fucking anglos
>>
File: IMG_20161113_113949535.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161113_113949535.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
>tfw Swiss
>tfw Certificate of Proficiency in English
>mfw everyone around me speaks shit English whilst thinking they are "proficient" at it.
>>
>>68846660
Been thinking about it desu

Many Estonians, especially in Tallinn, already speak Finnish though
>>
File: 1468286572583.jpg (66KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1468286572583.jpg
66KB, 420x420px
>>68845327
>>
>>68847094
shamefur dispray
>>
>>68845207
nice
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.