[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come some people NEVER lose their native accent when learning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (153KB, 1040x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153KB, 1040x700px
How come some people NEVER lose their native accent when learning a second language while others eventually sound like native speakers?
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 504x391px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 504x391px
>>
>>68527726
depends how much you speak it
>tfw I start thinking in english
>>
why would anyone want to lose native accent
>>
Some people simply don't want to loose their native accent.
>>
>>68528650
>>68528623
So you want to sound foreign on purpose?
>>
>>68527726
because they still use their native language basically half their day at home so they never lose it
>>
>>68527726
age is the key. if you are older than 13-16 when you start, you will never lose accent.
>>
>>68527726
It's like a choice. When you learn a new language you decide keep it or lose. If you lose it you will never sound native anyway so it's pointless. If you keep it, it becomes part of your history and a reminder that you are an immigrant
>>
>>68533486
I started at a very young age and still have a terrible accent. Always felt embarrassed when my normie classmates would speak English like natives and I never could
>>
Probably something to do with how impressionable you are
I moved to a different city and started picking up the accent in a few months
>>
>>68527726
Second language acquisition researchers don't know either, anon. Research shows that adults are quite varied (more so than children), with some acquiring a near-native ability in the second language while many don't, but it doesn't explain WHY.
>>
File: tumblr_nsbcsxkqVr1s6gnnro1_500.jpg (188KB, 463x463px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsbcsxkqVr1s6gnnro1_500.jpg
188KB, 463x463px
Its because they never studied phonetics

Each language has different sounds despite using the same letters for example English has like 44 or 46 sounds and there are only like 1 or 3 that are the same as in Spanish this means that English t d j z p b v they are all pronounced different than their Spanish counterpart and most people dont study this when learning a new language also each language has its own rhythm and when a native Spanish speaker tries to speak English he is using his native language rhythm to speak that language and that's mostly why some people dot sound native there are other things like intonation, word stress, regional accents, etc
>>
>>68534358
But you can just listen to a native speaker talk and mimic the sounds they make. You'll suck at it at first but the more you do it the better you'll get.
>>
>>68534139
Pretty cool info, thanks for sharing anon.
>>
It's actually not that hard to lose your native accent. But it feels awkward.

Because you have to twist your tongue and mouth in odd ways you're not used to. Stress parts of words that you normally wouldn't. Have to apply nuances that aren't there in your native language. It's just a pain.
>>
>>68533754
>I moved to a different city and started picking up the accent in a few months

This happened to me when I moved to Cape Town. After about a year there American tourists would routinely mistake me for an Afrikaner and after I moved back to the States, people would sometimes ask me where I was from. I didn't feel like I was speaking any differently, but apparently my cadence and pronunciation had shifted somewhat.
>>
>>68534578
Talking in a native accent is usually more trouble than it's worth. No need to put your tongue in a twist if people already understand you anyway.
>>
>>68534609
Pronouncing words correctly is part of language acquisition. Not trying is being a lazy fuck.
>>
>>68534634
Why would someone from France care about if he speaks in his native French accent?

I personally enjoy speaking in a Dutch accent. It's a bit part of your identity.
>>
>>68534679
When I learned Spanish in Middle School, speaking it with a distinct American accent made me feel retarded, so I studied the phonetics of the language on my own free time.
>>
>>68534679
But I guess being lazy is also a large part of it. When I speak with a Dutch accent I don't have to articulate like I would if I'd try an American accent.
>>
>>68527726
Australian inflection is immutable
can't speak tonal languages

trying to learn chinese and I can't anything
>>
File: 1471537990632.jpg (57KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1471537990632.jpg
57KB, 480x480px
>>68534501
I don't know about other people but to me that would have been impossible
most argies here pronounce the 'dʒ' sound often represented by 'g', 'j', and 'dge' as 'ʃ' and it's because they don't have the ear to distinguish the sounds. At first both sounds sounded the same to me despite being really different (one is unvoiced while the other isn't)
There are many English sounds that sound alike for example 'eə' ad 'ɜː', 'dʒ' ad 'ʒ', 's' ad 'z', 'ʌ', 'æ' ad 'ɑː', etc.
If someone wants to make the sounds correctly then they are going to have to learn the IPA alphabet and how to properly make the sounds this means that they have to learn the moves that they have to do with their mouth, tongue, throat, and teeth to properly make the sounds.
>>
>>68534807
Perhaps it's lack of exposure? I spent about four years studying Spanish and I never found it especially hard to pick up the phonetics because I was used to hearing the language due to the large Mexican population in my city. You basically just trim your single vowels to avoid dipthongs, trill or roll your Rs, and pronounce your Ds really lazily. I'm sure there are some other things I'm not thinking of but those were the ones that stuck out to me.
>>
>>68534954
As a Dutch speaker I never had much trouble with German/French/Spanish/Italian pronunciation. But I've found that English is actually quite hard to pronounce, relative to the other languages. I'm not sure if that goes both ways.
>>
I'm scared that when I try to speak Japanese I'll sound like an Australian, though I'd probably prefer to that American or something.
Some of the people I know that try to speak other languages barely make an effort though kek, I know a few people who've been to places like Paris while pronouncing stuff like how they would if it were an English word. Most of them are from Queensland funnily enough.
>>
>>68534954
Do people mistake you for a native Spanish speaker?

there are five bowels in Spanish a e i o u

there are 22 in English

Spanish----------------English closest similar vowel
a---------------- æ ʌ ɑː
e---------------- e ɜː
i---------------- J iː i
o---------------- ɒ ɔː
u---------------- ʊ uː u

Spanish 'a' ca be found in the diphthong aJ but never as a single sound

Spanish 'e' is the sae as the standard English e

Spanish 'i' is only used when a word ends in a consonant + y

Spanish 'o' is never used in English

Spanish 'u' is a very rare sound in the English language very few words use it such as education
>>
>>68534807
You are right. Kids learn by listening and mimicking. For adults the IPA alphabet is very useful. Funny that you mentioned that j sound.
How do you pronounce Caniggia's name in Argentina? I thought it would be caniʒa but I listened to a Maradona's interview and he pronounced it as CaniXia. Or maybe I am imagining it. But see, IPA is useful to at least explain what I mean.
>>
>>68534954
Perhaps you are just naturally talented. Most Spanish speaking people say that it is impossible for Anglos to pronounce "pure" spanish vowel sounds.
>>
>>68534759
Good don't try and learn Chinese
>>
For shits and giggles. My native accent and an attempt at American.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s08xUWo4c2kc
>>
>>68535194
>Do people mistake you for a native Spanish speaker?

The first time I met a group of Argie tourists the first thing they asked me is if I was from Mexico. Mexicans would never mistake me for a native speaker though because I'm pale and I have blue eyes and despite the memes Mexicans are very brown. However, I'm used to having my accent complimented whenever I speak with a native speaker for the first time.
>>
>>68535218
yes caniggia here would be pronounced as Caniχia
>>
>>68535350
that's turrible
>>
>>68527726

I've never seen a foreign person speaking my language without a thick accent.
>>
>>68535350
I couldn't tell which is which, both sound the same to me. But you sound OK and you are easy to understand.
>>
>>68535514
Well, one has a rolling R.
>>
>>68535546
Do you roll your R's in Dutch or that depends on the dialect like in German?
>>
>>68535580
In standard Dutch you roll the R in the beginning and middle of a word, but not at the end of a word. At the end of the word you use an American R.

But you also have dialects that roll all R's, only use American R's and some that use a French throat R.
Almost every major city has it's own dialect, as Dutch is actually a mix of many regional Germanic languages. It's a bit like in the UK, only a bit worse.
>>
>>68535667
I'm not too sure about Dutch but the Afrikaner accent is bizarre as hell to me and I can't even begin to mimic it properly.
>>
>>68535949
I can do it I think.

Here a sample of Dutch accents:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxulJNxc8ws (standard)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2JLd84sZmU (leiden, which is a bit American)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RReKTVxj6_c (retardo Limburg accent)
>>
>>68536027
Oops, a new standard one. The old one had an accent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmPtE_XYTAI
>>
>>68536053
She also has an accent. She can't pronounce the R's. Hopeless. You know the people without an accent are a minority, so it's hard to find one.
>>
>>68536027
>>68536053
>>68536135
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w58BPcLeGt4

dutch sounds so cool
also the limburg accent was hilarious
>>
>>68536027
>>68536053
Thanks for the links, interesting.
>>
>>68535350
I love you.
>>
>>68536027
I speak German at a B2 level and Dutch sounds like mumbled/slurred German spoken by an English speaker.
>>
>>68527726
My accent doesn't sound Australian nor from the old country. It's just neutral and plain sounding
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.