[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am very interested in learning different languages for practical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: Screenshot_20161210-212820.jpg (57KB, 357x439px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161210-212820.jpg
57KB, 357x439px
I am very interested in learning different languages for practical and mental reasons. I am starting with Italian (because I'm italian) and i wish to learn more. What language should I go to next? I'm thinking Spanish because of its similarities to Italian. Also what do you guys think of duolingo as a language learning app? Thank you for all comments and suggestions
>>
>>68493673
It is sad that this was neglected but OP. Duo along with memrise is okay to start but make sure you watch programming and see shows in that language and start to absorb it. That is how most learn english on here, and also, make sure to buy or find a grammar site or book to look over it. I'd try to learn a lot of words first off of duo and anki and memrise can be the extra sources. After you feel the tree you will need a book of grammar, use as dictionary of that site to learn words or something else since duo has at most 3000 words. But Spanish is good since you dont know it, but there's a shit ton of cognates in both languages like habilidad= ability, copa, cup, etc=etc...
but yeah, I'd go that route and start writing and speaking online with other speakers. But be aware your spoken spanish may lack without an audience to speak with.
>>
>>68493673
>The Italian doesn't already know Italian

hmmm...
>>
>>68493849
>make sure you watch programming and see shows in that language and start to absorb it. That is how most learn english on here, and also, make sure to buy or find a grammar site or book to look over it.
the thing is though is that most people here did it when they were kids

as an adult it is near-impossible to learn a language at a fluent level
>>
>>68493902
I'm italian by blood and I really want to connect with my heritage, also there are a few authentic Italian shops and restaurants near where I live so I could definitely actually use it in my life. Also I would love to move to Italy and work as a musician, that's my true passion :)
>>
>>68493964
define fluent. if that was the case, we wouldnt have polyglot nor people that can speak about anything in a language. Even if you were fully fluent. it doesnt hurt to still learn it.
>>
Self bump
>>
muh heritage

god that is by far the worst part about Americans on this site
>>
File: Italian Man Talking.jpg (18KB, 260x220px) Image search: [Google]
Italian Man Talking.jpg
18KB, 260x220px
>>68494133
>I'm italian by blood and I really want to connect with my heritage
>>
>>68495330
The fact that we enjoy connecting with our heritage and learning about a culture better than beer, baseball, and guns? Oh and also that's hypocritical as hell
>>
>>68495375
Is there really a problem with that? I lived in Italy since I was 7 and I still have vague but very happy memories of that place. I wish I could go back but I'm broke and don't know italian
>>
>>68495381
1) How is that hypocritical?

2) You can learn about a culture and learn a language, but don't pretend you have any more justifiable claim to be a part of it than any other random asshat in the world just because your great great grandfather moved here from there. If you do move there, for example, you will not be an "Italian coming home". You will be an American expat
>>
>>68493673
Start with Esperanto and then go into Italian. Far easier that way.
>>
>>68495445
1.) it is hypocritical because you said "god that is by far the worst part about Americans on this site" whilst you are an American.

2.) I am 75% italian and I grew up with very italian parents and I simply want to go to where my ancestors came from, is that really a problem?

BONUS.) You are also ignorant as hell for saying American instead of US citizen because there's also Mexico, Canada, central America, and South America that would be "American" so fuck off you ignorant swine
>>
>>68495494
I was considering learning esparanto especially saying I plan on learning many languages, how long does it take to learn?
>>
>>68495541
Criticizing Americans is not hypocritical because I am one you retard. If someone in my country kills a person and I say don't kill people, is that hypocritical because we share a nationality? Fuck off. Also, whilst is the british spelling, the word is "while". Doubly fuck off.

It's not a problem, but stop acting like you're Italian. You're American. You weren't even raised to speak the language for fucks sake.

And fuck off with that retarded "Everyone in this hemisphere is American" """argument""". You've been reading too much latin propaganda. We are not United Statians, and Colombians are not American. Quit virtue signaling
>>
>>68495660
I guess you're right on the first one

I'm Italian-American yes I am American but I'm also italian too, that's where my actual blood relation is

Technically everything on this hemisphere is America (except Antarctica) but us Americans are are too stuck up to call ourselves anything else (me included)
>>
>>68495559
I doubt it takes long, I started 2 days ago and I can already express myself more than after 2 weeks of French
>>
>>68495864
fuck your language, I struggled hard with that shit in school
>>
>>68495725
>but I'm also Italian too
No Italian is going to see you as one of their own. To them, you're a yank. You said yourself you can hardly remember your time in Italy, and you'll be speaking Italian with an American accent if and when you do learn it.

And lastly, no, "technically" nothing. Continents as we know them are entirely arbitrary and a social construct. There is no intrinsic geographical trait that is shared throughout North and South America. It's entirely artificial. The US has a District of Columbia, and there's also a country called Colombia. Does that mean everyone on these land masses can be considered Columbian/Colombians? No dude, it's all constructed, and since it's constructed we can do whatever we want with it. Namely, people from the US are called Americans and people from other countries such as Venezuelans and Canadians have their own demonyms. There is no "ignorance" to be had in this, and there's nothing stuck up about it either.
>>
>>68495885
Well sorry for being born here then,
>>
>>68493673
Im half way through Italian and i find duo to be very good. Visit the wiki for tips, obviously.

Spanish is definitely the best bet for an American and Italian will help. I started the Russian tree as well, but its hard as shit.
>>
Fortran is a good language you should study.
>>
are certain sites or resources better than others for certain languages?
>>
File: dil.png (247KB, 701x735px) Image search: [Google]
dil.png
247KB, 701x735px
>>68497445
There is only one thing that is good for learning language, and it is called effort and time. If you memorize new words every day, spend few hours no matter what, you will start speaking that language quickly. Getting fluent in the other hand is a different deal. For that it is better to live in country and practicing the dialects.
>>
>>68495945
Hey, just like to say I love your language. Germans don't deserve the hate they get these days.
>>
File: 98634656780.jpg (31KB, 615x456px) Image search: [Google]
98634656780.jpg
31KB, 615x456px
>>68493964
This is the attitude of a fucking failure. kys
>>
>>68493964
I didn't speak English other than colours and numbers until I was 16, and I didn't speak with an English Speaker until I was 20, since I am from a small town. Your excuses are pathetic.
>>
>>68497783
this. The 'so vulgar angry sounding' meme needs to die, it's a nice language with a rich cultural history and aesthetic. Not to mention very phonetic, so you can pretty much always predict what a word will sound like based off the spelling
>>
>>68495541
>>68495725
Did you come here from tumblr you autistic american faggot?
You're acting like one of the retards claiming to be a girl while you have a cock
>>
File: 1456507607255.jpg (105KB, 622x614px) Image search: [Google]
1456507607255.jpg
105KB, 622x614px
>>68494133
>>
>>68493673
>because I'm italian

you're not italian you're american
>>
>>68498883
It's worse here, nah I'm not Aussie I'm wog. Your grandparents leaving Lebanon doesn't mean you have an accent stop faking one
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.