[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /int/, I'm going to learn a language to absolute fluency,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

File: 1480734190262.jpg (190KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
1480734190262.jpg
190KB, 640x800px
Okay /int/, I'm going to learn a language to absolute fluency, starting from scratch.

Which should it be?
>>
Esperanto
>>
>>68333789
One digit off, buddy.
Put in some effort, this will change my life.
>>
File: 1480219049288.jpg (492KB, 1364x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1480219049288.jpg
492KB, 1364x1500px
chinese
>>
>>68333706
icelandic
>>
português
>>
>>68333821
Do you mean Mandarin?
>>
>>68333801
Then japanese
>>
>>68333706
Based on the image you posted, Java.
>>
File: kitayskiy-les.jpg (344KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kitayskiy-les.jpg
344KB, 1920x1080px
>>68333706

Depends, answer at least one of these

>What did you study or are studying?
>Do you travel?
>How do you spend your free time?
>>
>>68333706
Spanish is the only correct answer for an American who doesn't have any special interest in other languages. So if you need any other language for your work, studies or to preserve your heritage then learn it, if not, then learn Spanish - it's not only useful in the USA but also very "learning-friendly".
>>
>>68334241
Aren't you the same Pole in the language thread who's learning spensh?
>>
>>68333706
Xosa
>>
Turkish
>>
>>68334241
Also - don't listen to those who recommend Mandarin, it requires too much work. You can probably learn three Indo-European languages instead of Chinese.
>>
If you live in the United States, and in a rural area that's not within 300 mi of the Mexican border, pick Spanish.

If you live in a very big city, Mandarin or Russian. Can make good money with both of these.
>>
>>68334265
No, I learn Portuguese, but Spanish is easier and has over twice more users.
>>
>>68334317

>Mandarin or Russian

1. Learn in-demand language
2. ??????
3. Profit!

Let's take Russian for example. I can very easily see how it would be a very useful language to know when paired with just about any other skillset. But by itself? There's translating, sure, but the way technology is going it seems like there will only be demand in the industry for the highest quality translators.
>>
>>68334390
Russian may be too difficult, Slavic languages are extremely irregural, plus they have cases and verb aspects. I won't recommend any Slavic language as your first foreign language. Maybe 2nd or 3rd.
>>
>>68334390
Alright let me know when these technologies are actually more common than translators
>>
This article about Mandarin is very accurate, in my opinion:
http://pinyin.info/readings/texts/moser.html
>>
File: 1480801509835.jpg (71KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
1480801509835.jpg
71KB, 540x960px
>not a single person recommending French
>>
日本語
>>
>>68334484

Za późno. Ale nic nie żałuję.
>>
한국어

good luck friend!
>>
>>68334520

Hard to say. I've read that 99% of all words translated in a year, period, are done so by Google and Microsoft. Of course, this includes all the people who are just typing shit into Google, and Google translations are still atrocious. Language is honestly so complex that I think it'll be one of the last things that machines will be able to competently do. But I expect that it won't happen overnight - that machines will take over the industry inch by inch, and human translators will need to be utilizing them to some degree to stay competitive.
>>
>>68334689
Why would anybody try to learn such a useless, irrelevant language?
>>
>>68334713
Kek, my sincere condolences, anon. Still, you know that I'm right, Slavic declesions and conjugations are really hard.
>>
Ok, I'll learn Latin unless someone can convince me otherwise.
>>
>>68334711
Ayy
>>
>>68334952
Learning Spanish will help you understand the other Romance languages better than Latin would and you won't have to worry about declensions.
>>
>>68334882
Even having great translators you still won't be sure if their translations are correct.
>>
>>68334996
I do have to worry about conjugations and irregular gendered articles. I also have no passion for the Spanish language.
>>
>>68334952
>Ok, I'll learn Latin unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Well, just write "templum magnum" in all cases, or do the same thing with "terra incognita", or even better - check all cases for "mea pulchra puella".
>>
Any advice for dyslexic anons? I have a really hard time learning a language on my own.
>>
>>68333706
Gaelic
>>
>>68334949

Maybe. I'd still rather learn every Slavic language at once than Mandarin or Japanese. The declensions are intimidating at first, but they come naturally after a while. I'm even finding that verb conjugation and knowing the corresponding aspect of each verb is coming to me easy. It's the sheer amount of very similar verbs with niggling but significant differences that is hard to get a handle on.
>>
>>68335096
Only some genders are irregural, if you need some language without declinations, then start learning Vietnamese or Chinese - they don't have them, but they have tones, I assure you that tones are much harder. Probably the easiest language without conjugations or declinations is Malay/Indonesian, it also has no tenses, no plurals (or rather you create plurals by reduplication - "a man"="orang"/"men"="orang-orang"), but even this language has its quirks, like various affixes slightly changing meaning of words.
>>
>>68335220
But why would you even consider learning Polish? I don't see any pros, excluding your possible Polish heritage.
>>
Opinions:
Russian or Ukrainian
Which is easier to learn and more useful?
>>
>>68335301

>muh heritage

Pretty much right. I decided to start learning after visiting family in Poland a few years ago.
>>
>>68335329
Strange question, Ukrainian isn't even that useful in Ukraine (the majority of their newspapers, books or webpages are in Russian). As for the difficulty - Ukrainian is slightly easier, because in Russian some letters denote different sounds depending on accents (I mean that their unstressed "o" becomes "a"), also some words change their meaning depending on their accent - "mUka" =/= "mukA" - "torment" vs. "flour", the same with "pIsat'" and "pisAt'", "to piss" vs. "to write"
>>
>>68335410
In this case there is some sense, there are also some American companies operating here, plus some military/diplomatic cooperation, so there may be some jobs requiring Polish, but rather not too many, I guess. And of course any other Slavic language would be much easier for you to learn now.
>>
>>68335558
>>
File: image.jpg (125KB, 1058x793px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125KB, 1058x793px
>>68333706
German.

Romance languages a shit
>>
>>68334241
Dude, I live I'm California and Spanish is fucking useless unlike you like chatting up room service or gangsters. Anyone who isn't a poor spic speaks English and there is no reason to talk to them anyway.
>>
>>68333706
haskell. all cool kids talk about learning haskell
>>
>>68335123
Chinese or Korean. You would get to be dyslexic in a new and interesting way, at the very least.

BTW, a few words here
>Chinese: script or sounds or both
>Mandarin or Cantonese: sounds
>simplified or traditional Chinese: script

For maximum utility, you should learn simplified Chinese and speak Mandarin.
>>
>>68336096
A hong kong flag advocating simplified Chinese?

R A R E
A
R
E
>>
>>68336138
He's being realistic though.
>>
>>68336269
Yeah, it's rare for them to be realistic.
>>
Anything but Mandarin or Cantonese if you're in business of any sort. Learning Chinese will only force you to be the one who has to deal with shitty Chinese businessmen.

German is a nice option for funsies if you're a native English speaker, but Spanish is probably the most practical if you're a burger. Although depending on your region, background, and travel intentions, "practical" will vary widely.

It all depends really.
>>
>>68334689
French is a really terrible language in all respects.
>>
>>68336444
*tips fedora*

Careful not to cut anyone with that edge.
>>
>>68333706
french
>>
French, and speak it with a quebecois accent.
>>
>>68336724
eww no, quebecois is quebecancer
>>
Italian or French?
I'd like to be able to read French literature, but I dont plan on visiting the country aside from tourist traps perhaps
and will I be able to teach myself Russian before the World Cup?
>>
dub and you fattie must learn sundanese
>>
>>68334952
>Latin
NIGER MEVS
pugnifratrum.jpg
>>
>>68339847
Italian IMHO sounds better and it's far, far easier to read. On the other hand, you'll find French more useful. Literature-wise, both are great.

>and will I be able to teach myself Russian before the World Cup?
Do you know any other Slavic language? If you don't, then give up learning fluent Russian until the WC - you might learn a bunch of useful sentences but that's it.
>>
>>68334952
we wuz emperahs n shiet
>>
What language should someone from NZ learn who isn't planning on travelling? I was thinking of learning Mandarin since theres a shit ton of chinks here, but I've heard its far too difficult to be a first language, I don't really have a use for most European languages even though I really want to learn them rather than asian shit.
>>
>>68333706
My dubs demand you learn Aramaic.
>>
>>68341832
This kind of question is tricky to answer. You're the one who's going to use the language, at most we can hint you "Language A is good for [something], B for [something else]".

Do you interact with the chinks at all? Then Mandarin.
Natives? Maori.
Do you like Mongolian sequential coloured cartoons? Japanese.
Philosophy? German and French.
Literature in general? Both above plus Spanish and Russian.
Classical works? Attic Greek and Classical Latin.
etc.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.