[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Chinese new year songs are all about making load of money

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1445174351621.jpg (102KB, 624x434px) Image search: [Google]
1445174351621.jpg
102KB, 624x434px
>Chinese new year songs are all about making load of money
>Chinese people wish each other prosperity
>Chinese people burn paper money to their ancestors
Is there a more materialistic culture?
>>
>is there a more materialistic culture

no.
we are fucking status obsessed and i think our culture is shit because of it.
>>
>>68259967
>is there a more materialistic culture
I'll give you a hint, it starts with a J
>>
>>68260106
Jamaica?
>>
File: IMG_3286.png (275KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3286.png
275KB, 500x377px
>>68260136
uh sure
>>
>>68259967
In Brazil, during new year, people literally climb up to the top of a ladder, eat some lentil and then make wish, wishing more money and prosperity.

We also put gold coins or money in an altar with cinnamon for earning more money.

Everything in Brazil is about money, cars, Iphones. It's the most materialistic society on earth.
>>
>>68259967
What should they wish for, a miracle from fairies in the skies?
If you have money and good health, all else comes itself.
>>
>>68259967

is chinese materialism an ancient cultural thing or is it a more recent development?
>>
>>68260230
its not classy to wish for money
>>
the money burned for the ancestors isn't money
it is brown paper coated with some silvery power so you can make origami catties from them

it is more about supersition that somehow they would need it in the otherworld, not materialistic per se and only provincials do this, urbanites who are materialistic don't
>>
>>68260369
>it is more about supersition that somehow they would need it in the otherworld
Don't westerners also put coins on the dead so that Charon take them as a fee to send them across the river?
>>
>>68260987
Ancient greeks and romans did that, its out of fashion since 1500 years.
>>
>>68260987
those were real coins

in chinese myth the dead don't use what we use
that's why during the spring cleaning holiday the dishes are set out, they are enjoyed by the dead but are obviously untouched, we eat it after sundown in which their spirit is suppose to return by the grave site

the "money" burned is suppose to allow the to buy stuff that wasn't burned with them like extra clothes or whatnot however much sense that makes

unlike the western myth about the spirits going somewhere the chinese spirits either sleep in their graces just roam about we just can't see them
>>
>>68260987
Wrong millennia
>>
>>68260987
We aren't in 0 A.D. Japanon
>>
>>68260292
Bit of both
Back in the days of Mao, food was scarce. Nowadays people have lots of money and there's lots of food to buy, so they buy a lot of it because older folk still have the Mao era mindset
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.