[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Rome multicultural or were Romans one ethnicity could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0465.jpg (87KB, 677x782px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0465.jpg
87KB, 677x782px
Was Rome multicultural or were Romans one ethnicity could anyone be Roman?
>>
What do you think?
>>
Romans were multicultural. You had many Roman emperors from Italy, but you had an emperor from Spain, you had an emperor from Syria, you had an empire from Libya, etc.
>>
>Was Rome multicultural
Yes
>were Romans one ethnicity
No. Romanhood was about citizenship, not race nor even culture (especially during the imperial age). Race did not play a major factor in Roman life. According to the founding myth of Rome the city was populated originally by low-lives and criminals from different tribes. This is probably false and the Romans most likely started out as some latin tribe.
>could anyone be Roman?
According to the Romans, yes.
>>
File: 1478772562281.jpg (26KB, 298x400px) Image search: [Google]
1478772562281.jpg
26KB, 298x400px
>>68250581
>Romans fuck like rabbit
>Spread out
>Hola es mi empire
Pic related
>>
not sure about culture as whole, but with religion

>an official Roman Pantheon
>but simultaneously borrowing in all kinds of other gods and goddesses - greek, judaic, zoroastrian, various city-states of mesopotamia, Druids (!)

Rome allowed for pluralism within limits as long as people paid respect toward the romans (certain rules about public worship and yearly festivals tailored for various minorities)

I'm not sure exactly how this transfers to ethnicity, you naturally these religions were attached to diverse ethnic groups - bare minimum being joooooooooos vs the rest - so no amrigan melting pot here. Romans were *fashy* just like the greeks.
>>
>>68250500
dumb aussie cunt
>>
>>68250688

historians have noted how Rome borrows from the outside, even in the lifetime of the Roman Empire/Holy Roman Empire. One famous myth is that of romans conquering some tribe's goddesss and just wheeling her in declaring her part of Rome since they won her over from her previous tribe, kek

anyway in regards to race, there must have been some lines drawn somewhere... no nignogs? Slavery?
>>
The distinction with romans were
>free man
>not a free man
>roman
>barbarian
>>
>>68250500

>ROME
>FIRST

>We will not ... the false song of Democracy

>The vikings are terrific people, but they make horrible deals. Disaster!
>>
>>68250752
>there must have been some lines drawn somewhere
lol no. as long as you agreed to be a "friend of romans" and paid tribute and offered military assistance most places were left more or less to their own devices. celtic taxes and military assistance was as welcome as hellenic or egyptian.
>>
>>68250885
post good post
>>
>>68250581
fug I gotta watch Rome again
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.