[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Share your experiences while living in other countries. Short-term

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: passport.jpg (68KB, 639x360px) Image search: [Google]
passport.jpg
68KB, 639x360px
Share your experiences while living in other countries. Short-term travel doesn't count.
>>
>China
Not as shitty as people think, you can have a comfortable life in a bigger city. People also aren't as strict and hive minded as I thought.
>>
>Tunisia
fucking hostile men
almost every man tries to trick you
no women will talk to you because they slaved by men
>>
>America
>6 years
1. People are friendly and not openly racist.
2. I still don't understand what's so fun about watching American """football""".
3. Some people just spit out random celebrity figures that I have never heard of as if I already know them.
4. They are really loud talkers.
5. I miss cheap beer and burrito, and $5 subway subs.
>>
>China

The people are literal human garbage. Almost all they think about is how their can get more for themselves by fucking over other people and then spending all they have on gaudy, useless bullshit like cars, electronics, and shitty furniture. Even if they do something kind for another human being, it is generally only so that you will owe them something later. Also, the whole country is falling apart because they don't maintain anything their own and everything is put together with the minimal effort possible (usually as part of a scam). If you want to see the worst humanity has to offer, go to mainland china.
>>
>>68171425

Football, and sports in general, are for normies only.
>>
i lived in russia for 7 years.
since age 0 to age 7.
that's seven, right?
>>
Germany. Pretty great. Better food, better drink, better people, better cities.
>>
>>68171682
I feel sorry for you. You'll be OK.
>>
>>68171972

I enjoyed Germany as well, though I didn't have to work while I lived there. Probably made it quite a bit better than it would have been otherwise.
>>
>>68172122
kek, thank you, i hope trump won't deport me. i am still wanted in russia to do the military service (until i am 27 i think). if i go there, i may get arrested and ass raped and sent to the trenches in ukraine.
>>
>>68173243

Don't you want to die for your country, Ivan?
>>
>>68173243
My advice never ever go back there.
>>
>>68170619
(I am from Worst Korea)
>Worst Korea
>20 years
1. 20~25% flat income tax for non-nationals, locals with annual income more than USD 80~90k get to pay 30~33% of their income as tax. Better living there as foreigners
2. Even if Koreans like to say housing is expensive, Seoul's housing market is cheap compared to Tokyo, Shanghai, Beijing, or Hong Kong. Actually, I'd say Seoul's housing market is even cheaper than Osaka or Taipei.
3. good public transportation, you don't need a car in Seoul or its suburb but people bring cars anyway, making Seoul to have Los Angeles tier traffic congestion. (You will often spend more than an hour in a car to get to place that is reachable within 30 mins by public transportation) Gas is probably at least 2-3 times as expensive as in the US. So better not to have a car.
4. no tip, so eating out is fairly cheap but grocery is expensive due to high tariff for imported agricultural products. better to eat out
5. international schools are mostly Koreans and are not of good quality. so you might not want to bring your family for a job.
>>
>UK

Pretty much just a shitty version of the Notheastern US

>too many people
>everywhere is cramped
>expensive as fuck
>everything is more inconvenient
>wages are shit
>taxes and regulations are shit
>living conditions are shit
>country pubs are pretty comfy though
>>
>>68173637
well i have dual citizenship so i could die for either country. but i don't want to, sorry.

>>68173682
nah, not planning to.
>>
>>68170619
Living in america since I was 10 and its been almost 20 years now, I am from india.

Honestly, not much is different here to me. My family is already christfag so religion wasnt a big change. I dont feel like I am living in a foreign country at all. Ive been back to india a few times and there are things in america that just outweigh the drawbacks. The only bad thing is that theres nothing close by here, traveling to another country takes a long time. Canada is just america lite, mexico is a bit dangerous depending on the area. Going to europe/se asia is 1 day travel and thats a bit of a damper.
>>
>>68174134
Keep in mind that the Third World will prevail over the First World. The union of Amerindians + African + Middle Eastern + Asian will move upon the north, we will take all your positions, because your are lazy and afraid, while we work and fight without calculating human costs. You are the country clubs and the suburbs with children playing in the grass and riding bicycles. Instead, we are marginals of the filth of the cities.

We will pass over the First World with a steamroller. This is struggle, the future is ours,

you are traitor to the third world, delhi send a bucket of anus excrete to you, fuck boy
>>
>>68171425
American football is a more energetic sport than most others, but I see how it's not for everyone.

>>68174055
Interesting
>>
File: fixederer.png (27KB, 812x727px) Image search: [Google]
fixederer.png
27KB, 812x727px
>>68174172
So who do you represent, anon? Argentina is white.
>>
>>68174134

Well, we don't shit in the streets, for one.
>>
>>68174189

Lived there for quite a while and really regret it
>>
>>68170619
Was an exchange student in the US for a year. lived with a crazy lady at first, then she kicked me out and I moved in with a nice family.
Overall one of the best years of my life
>>
>>68175146
>lived with a crazy lady
>she kicked me out
a lot of us end up this way
>>
>America
>South
Never really faced any discrimination there. In fact, I'd rather return there instead of living in my shithole island.
>>
>america (i'm a britbong)
everyone is really friendly and talkative but it gets really draining sometimes
>outside of the scyscraper bit of downtown everyone lives in literal shacks
>walmart has the worst customer service i've ever experienced, how the fuck does it take 2 hours to buy a phone
>>
>>68175929
also really good beer but only if you like hoppy IPAs (i do)
everyone actually drinks out of kegs and its great
>>
>>68175929
>outside of the scyscraper bit of downtown everyone lives in literal shacks

What city do you live in? in most US cities, the area outside the city is actually more wealthy than the urban area.
>>
File: Monet_Japonaise.jpg (4MB, 1494x2454px) Image search: [Google]
Monet_Japonaise.jpg
4MB, 1494x2454px
I studied in Japan for a year.

My university had partnerships with tons of well known universities, but relatively few students applied to get to Japanese ones. I applied to the three universities in Japan which had exchange programs for what I studied (History), and I was accepted in all of them, which really surprised me.

I had a great time. I've loved Japanese culture since I was a kid so whenever I had free time I took the opportunity to explore. I really didn't like Tokyo too much, though. Too crowded, too stressful. Life was less expensive than I thought it would be, but other than that Japan was more or less like I had imagined and I loved it that way. I found that the Japanese are kinda like the French in that we love when people like our cultures and want to learn more about it.

I felt kinda bad because the other students had to pass an apparently ridiculously difficult entrance exam, but I pretty much snuck in by the back door. Classes were in English and Japanese, the first few weeks of classes in Japanese were difficult but I adapted pretty quickly. Lived in a small room at first, then I shared an apartment with two roommates.

You know how people talk about the "Paris Syndrome", when tourists are so disappointed by Paris that they fall into depression? Well I've definitely observed the "Weeb's Syndrome": exchange students or just regular foreigners who arrived in Japan hoping it would just like in their anime and then get hit with the hard truth: Japan is a country with a fascinating culture, sure, but it's still 3D.
>>
Saudi Arabia, 10 years.

Crazier place/experience than it's even possible to imagine.

AMA.
>>
USA

Very nice. Wish I was born an American.
>>
>>68170619
Germany: very clean and organized, boring as fuck
>>
>>68171972
I honestly cant believe an American could actually enjoy living in Germany
>>
>>68176611
Do people drive up and down the streets with no more than two wheels on the ground? Ever see someone getting shit for being the wrong type of muslim?
>>
>>68176971
Pretty much all the people I've met who studied abroad in Germany or immigrated from there enjoyed it.
>>
>>68176996
What Stereotypes did you find to be true or false?
>>
>>68177090
Couldn't say, haven't been myself, nor I'm I aware of any German stereotypes beyond you guys love sausage. Of the German people I've met I'd generally say nicer, seem to think in a more open perspective, generally not as vapid as a lot of Americans seem (though that goes for about any country besides Canada and Japan IMO).
>>
>>68177090
Germans eat a ton of potatoes.
>>
>>68171586
Replace China with America at the end and what you said is still 1 for 1.
>>
South Germany (Munich, Stuttgart), 2 years.

Beautiful landscape, everything's clean and tidy. I liked the food and the beer and I found some German habits really charming (the Stammtisch, constant hand-shaking, banging the desk after every lecture).

Very hard to integrate though, unless perhaps you speak near-natural German and I found the whole two-year experience quite lonely because of this. Would go back as a tourist but would never consider moving there.
>>
>>68178328
Fugg, I lived in Stuttgart for a year too. Ugly city to be honest, but the rest of Baden-Württemberg is full of nice landscapes and comfy towns. It's certainly hard to make friends with Germans, but once you manage to get a German friend, he will be the most loyal person you'll ever find.

Finding good vegetables and fish is nearly impossible, particularly in winter when everything has to be imported. Other German dishes (Käsespätzle, Schweinshaxe...) were meh, too much pasta (Germans LOVE pasta) and meat, not a lot of variety. A few strange ideas (really, sausages on lentils? wtf) show that Germans never really gave gastronomy much thought. I have noticed this all over Northern Europe.

South German beer is God tier. Sorry Belgium/Czechs, nobody can compete. Praise the Wasen.

The biggest cultural shock came to me when I noticed how clean cars were. It's good to keep your cars clean but people in Baden-Württemberg are OBSESSED with making sure that their cars look like they bought them yesterday.

Anon, was it Allmandring or Pfaffenhot?
>>
File: canadia.png (202KB, 585x560px) Image search: [Google]
canadia.png
202KB, 585x560px
>>68178242
>>
>>68178550
Nah, Bosch for me, I only saw the campus once or twice for some party. Stuttgart looks pretty miserable yes, but like you said the surroundings are beautiful.

I've heard the the best friends you can find trope plenty of times before but I've yet got to see it to believe it. I made zero german friends in that period and it irks me because I still feel like I wasted two years in terms of social life. Everyone I was in contact with was just so stiff and kinda wary.

Kinda disagree about beer - it's really good but I find belgians and czechs (and even british beer) are just as good but different. I'm biased towards the food as I kinda like hearty dishes although some german classics are just horrific, like the lentil sausage goop and the fucking potato balls. Schweinehaxe and sauerkraut are great though.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.