[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does nobody give a shit about the World's Fair anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8

File: hith-1964-worlds-fair-E.jpg (298KB, 686x385px) Image search: [Google]
hith-1964-worlds-fair-E.jpg
298KB, 686x385px
Why does nobody give a shit about the World's Fair anymore? The same event that brought us the Eiffel Tower and the Space Needle is now barely relevant, most people don't even know it's still around.
>>
globalization and the internet cuck'd it.

why would a company pay lots of money to showcase their new stuff at a worldfair when they can just cheaply put up a YouTube video commercial that will reach more people.
>>
File: dsc01089.jpg (3MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
dsc01089.jpg
3MB, 2816x2112px
I like biking around the old WF site in New York, I wish they would fix the place up a little
>>
File: 5390bf31cdc0a.image.jpg (139KB, 1024x820px) Image search: [Google]
5390bf31cdc0a.image.jpg
139KB, 1024x820px
>>67634641
i miss the "white city" concept of the early ~1900s

if only our cities turned out this attractive instead of ugly 1970s bullshit architecture. unfortunately, most of these buildings were built not out of stone but out of temporary plaster.
>>
>>67634570
Like >>67634597 said, it's no longer necessary. Anyone who wants to see what may or may not be the cutting edge of technology and industry can go to a website that specializes in this sort of thing year-round.
>>
>>67634570
Nationalist fucks trying to get back to the feudal times and shit
>>
File: East End Grand Court.jpg (86KB, 888x600px) Image search: [Google]
East End Grand Court.jpg
86KB, 888x600px
>>
>Expo 2017 will be held in Astana, Kazakhstan.

probably why
>>
I went to the Expo Commemorative Park in Osaka. It's probably been maintained better than most Expo sites, but it's still sad to see it compared to the photos from the time.

No one cares about the World's Fair because civic pride and positive patriotism are dead in the 'civilised' world (the only environment where those things were endemic in the first place)
>>
File: dubaiwins.jpg (352KB, 784x350px) Image search: [Google]
dubaiwins.jpg
352KB, 784x350px
>>67634570
It is no longer a western thing.
>>
I'd blame the internet.
>>
>>67634570
The cold war makes weiner competition unnecessary.
>>
Because we have the Internet now.
Who travels now a day to watch the lastest technology advances.
>>
File: 39058158.jpg (128KB, 964x616px) Image search: [Google]
39058158.jpg
128KB, 964x616px
>>67634684
>if only our cities turned out this attractive instead of ugly 1970s bullshit architecture.
Agreed, neo-classical architecture was beautiful and globalist architecture is like hell on earth.
>unfortunately, most of these buildings were built[...] out of plaster
All of them were made out of plaster IIRC, but one got refinished in marble. They were going to refinish the rest because of popular love for the city, but a fire destroyed it before that could happen.
>>
File: modern.jpg (85KB, 649x487px) Image search: [Google]
modern.jpg
85KB, 649x487px
>>67635700
>implying
>>
>>67635709
That looks pretty nice because of the natural materials and nature around it. I'm talking about pic related though. No animals can live there.
>>
>>67634570
Tbh I didn't realize this was an actual thing, I only recognize it from civ.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.