[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's Singapore like? I'm considering studying abroad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 6

File: singapore.jpg (595KB, 1140x458px) Image search: [Google]
singapore.jpg
595KB, 1140x458px
What's Singapore like? I'm considering studying abroad there next year, and the information I've seen online so far makes it seem great, but what's the catch? A country can't be this great.
>>
you will face the firing squad if you spit your chewing gum out
>>
>>67587072
Its a very nice and unique place
>>
>>67587098
I know they have strict laws on odd stuff and they still do canings, where can I get more information on this?
>>
not sure
>>
I don't come on this sub often, but how many Singaporeans are there? Also, how are the women?
>>
>>67587141
>strict laws on odd stuff
You don't understand.
The government is authoritarian. As in, "no free press" authoritarian.
It's not a bad country per se, but watch what you say to who.
>>
>>67587896
Holy shit, I just found the catch, looking at this stuff, it's beyond horrible, I guess it had to make up for that economic freedom that got them where they are now.
>>
>>67588003
Just don't do anything bad and never get caught (like drinking, etc...). If you get caught with pot be ready to get hanged.
Beside that it's a good place to make money if you can deal with the shitty climate.

A starter on all the big no-no.
https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/southeast-asia/singapore/singapore-against-the-law
>>
>>67588003
It's pretty hard to end up getting caned unless you're an autist who does things he shouldn't be doing anyway
>>
>>67587896
>>67588003
My brother worked there for a month, said it wasn't too bad and the cultural discipline felt quite intrinsic rather than authoritarian. But yeah you certainly have to behave responsibly.

I don't know why you would want to study there though, it's the most expensive city in the world.
>>
>>67587098
>>67587896
>this authoritarian meme needs to stop
Don't listen to these guys whose experience actually in Singapore is like at most 2 years.

Through time, governance in Singapore has become quite lax as it was before. No ones gonna arrest you for chewing gum. No ones gonna arrest you for throwing litter. It's all just meme laws that's meant to scare you. The government isn't stupid enough to spend millions of dollars just to make sure you don't chew some shitty gum.

Just don't do what police don't want you to do in your home country, e.g. Vandalism, Arson, Robbery, etc. you'll be fine.

Feel like this stupid meme laws are doing too much of its intended purposes. If all the above shit this memers have said was true, I would've killed myself earlier on. Besides, if you actually get caught for it, it'll be on the news because it just doesn't happen, that cop will be a laughing stock.
>>
>>67588091
thanks for the link, I'm gonna read it
>>67588153
don't do anything unless other people are doing it and it's legal, so it looks like I'm good on that front
>>67588158
if it's a cultural thing, that's a lot better than laws everybody hates, to my understanding if I study there I just have to pay what I would at home, which is still a pretty penny, but I may not understand this perfectly
>>67588188
well, thank you, I didn't plan on being stupid anyway, so it doesn't seem like a terrible gig, anything I should know besides what you said if I want to study there?
>>
Wow, after looking at some of this stuff, I may need to try to adjust to some of this beforehand, and what is considered "public affection" there?
>>
>>67587072
Pretty good, eh. But it can be stifling with all those shitty law. If you want cheap stuff you can just cross to Malaysia. Lot of Singaporean do this. Their english surprisingly shit and cringey despite using English as official language. Their woman are mostly gold-digging whore. And if you are white than be prepare to pay more than what it supposed to be because to them white=rich. They will charge more because they think Whitey can shit gold whenever they want.
>>
>>67588384
Kissing, hugging, cuddling, anything they consider lewd for 5 years old little girl.
>>
>>67588420
so they'll accept other asians, but they won't accept a white American just because I'm rich because I'm white in Singapore? That really sucks if I can't trust people to be friends
and don't they teach classes and stuff in english? I thought that was standard
>>67588475
sounds like Japan but they made it illegal instead of frowned upon
>>
>>67588475
>>67588420
>>67588188
and how much tension is there between Singapore & Malaysia?
>>
>>67588493
No. I think you misunderstand. Do anyone around the world treat richfag like shit? No right? They will pamper you, adore you, and treat you like Aristocrat in middle age. But be prepared to pay more. Especially taxis.
>>
>>67588565
Oh, that's interesting, sounds like something that you would like for about a day and then get very tired of. People that I speak with often would eventually realize that I'm accept a poor collegefag though, right?
>>
>>67588612
Probably.
>>
well, thanks everyone, if anybody wants to give anymore advice, I'll leave this thread refreshing overnight, I'm gonna go to bed now
>>
Horrible.
No drugs. Very artificial, its a city whose sole purpose is money.
Very authoritarian government. You WILL get beat in the ass with a cane by a large chinaman.
>>
>>67587072
>what's the catch
Climate. 30°C/85°F and 75% humidity average.
Beer is expensive as fuck. Cigarettes too but less than in the UK.
Flats are expansive

Now on the good things:
You can eat for very cheap at food courts. Also you'll find lots of luxury and fancy stuff.
Public transportation is great (kek at 70 speed limit on the highway) and it's easy and affordable to travel from there (30$ two way flight to KL for exemple)

Basically a good city but can be a bit boring imo since there's nothing particular and doesn't have a real identity.

Also don't believe the authoritarian meme like the one just up, I smoked pot there. As long as you don't do illegal stuff or at least are not obnoxious about it you have nothing to fear.
>>
>>67588818
This. Please come to Malaysia. We are better than those island abortion. Malaysia Truly Asia.
>>
>>67588864
but then I need to learn foreignese, and I'm from burgerland
>>
>>67588881
Don't worry. Chink and Keling will flock you with their horrible Engrish. And Malay will just run away.
>>
>>67588864
This.
Singapore is the one place in the world that needs to be nuked.
Really its disgusting. An insult humanity.
>>
>>67588917
Doesn't change that I want to go there as a foreign exchange student and that classes won't be taught in english.
>>67588928
Alright, it sounds like a shitty place that combines all of the bad things about Asia, but I think it can stand as an example for how an economy can work, similar to the other Asian Tigers, that and it provides a lot of value in its business
>>
>>67588928
why so mad?
>>
>>67588855
How did you even buy weed in singapur?
>>
>>67588963
I befriended the manager of my hostel and she proposed me to smoke together.

No idea how you can get it but you definitely can (quality wasn't as good as Dutch stuff though)
>>
>>67588957
Most private university and college in Malaysia and Singapore teach lesson in English. So you don't actually need to learn Malay. I mean we have fuck tonne of African students here.
>>
>>67588963
There's a big underground society of drinking, drugs etc. They hide the poverty just like Gulf states do
>>
>>67588520
Much less than there was 10-12 years ago, Malaysia is currently in the middle of political self-destruction and is too occupied by internal problems. Indonesia is the threat now.
>>
>>67589051
Wrong.
Malaysia is supporting China in the South China Sea conflict. China in return is helping Malaysia build forest city, basically get reclaimed land to bring in investors.

ASEAN next year will be chaired by Duterte, so we'll expect to get cucked into China even more.

Indonesia is the one dealing with internal problems and well terrorism because they're place literally breeds terrorism.

Also Trump is pro protectionist and we're a export dependent nation, and China hates us for standing on the side of the USA during South China Sea conflict, so the best we can hope for for the next few years is minimal growth in GDP or worse still stagnance.
>>
>>67589596
>Indonesia
What is Jokowi doing there? I think it was a big news when he was elected but I never get to hear anything afterward
>>
>>67588928
Believe it or not. Without Singapore at least East Asia would've been a lot different.
>We're the ones that helped tie up South-East Asia together including Australia.
I wouldn't believe privileged white cunts in Aussieland would be willing to talk to some shitskins for trade because Britain and America are like on the other side of the Earth. May as well just eat Emus if weren't for us.
>>
>>67589627
Quite good actually. He shut down like 6 companies because they produced shitty haze for us and Malaysia. Not something other corrupted politicians would do.
>>
>>67589688
Hmmm he sounds like at least functional president.

I kinda hope Indonesia to actually develop into some decent country. It's like they have huge land and huge population and yet have wasted their potential for too long
>>
What does Singapore think of Trump?

Are they upset that because he got elected, the TTP won't happen now?
>>
>>67587072
Sorry, don't think I answered your question about studying abroad yet. Our university is within top 30 among all charts, we're top 13 in QS rankings. NUS and NTU are the big universities you want to get into. According to that we're better than some Ivy leagues, but still not better than true elite ones like HYPSM and UK Oxbridge. You'll definitely be quite attractive if you do your undergrad here and masters back home or the reverse probably.
>>
>>67589754
Read last lines: >>67589596
I support Trump though. But in our expense, our government supports Hillary.
>>
>>67589754
TPP is utter shit anyways. Too much rules and regulations for it to be worthwhile.
>>
>>67589810
>Hillary
Every non American (other than like some right wing ppl) supported Hillary as they got most of news from CNN, NYT, or so.

I don't see the point tho considering she opposed TPP after she adopted most of Sanders' policies

>>67589833
The US and Japan had too many power in that deal anyway. Since Japan has been ultra protectionalist toward their agriculture, TPP won't have been so 'free' trade
>>
as a fellow American, don't come here

you can ask me anything you want and I'll expand on it but that's the short version
>>
>>67588864
I would but I'm scared of pic
>>
>>67589916
Is commuting from Malaysia to Singapore hell? I felt that to be literally the only way to have single family house while working there.
>>
File: 212[1].jpg (49KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
212[1].jpg
49KB, 600x480px
>average relative humidity an enormous 84% with temperatures hovering around 30 degrees C (86 freedom units)

Do you enjoy sweating?
Because that's what you will be doing every minute of every day. It's such an uncomfortable climate that I literally cannot consider living there despite any other possible advantages
>>
>>67589920
Malaysia may as well just give us their land. It's not like we're not gonna do a better job at governing it than they do.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>67589945
Not that hot. Pic related is where I am right now.
>>
>>67589977
I like the country but last time i was there I spent the entire week trying to unstick my ballsack from my leg
That's not living bruh
>>
>>67589943
I live by myself but I would just advise you to get an apartment in SG

having a house is an American meme because we all in the suburbs or country and you'll get used to living in an apartment here
Also I'm not sure about driving from Malaysia to SG but to get a car in SG you have to pay like sgd$50,000 just to get your registration so you might want to keep that in mind
>>
>>67590005
what are you doing over there, if you dont mind my asking?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>67590001
Maybe ur body is not acclimated to the weather. There's a lot of Australians and even Frenchies living here that have adapted to the weather like people in pic related.
>>
>>67590019
I'm taking a break from college so I took a 6 month internship here with a company that is HQ'd back in my hometown in the US and then i'll be working 6 months at the HQ starting in Jan
>>
>>67590005
How much is rent and expense for public transportation if I live in SG? Like if I expect to live within 30 minutes from city center by public transportation (I would prob prefer to live near subway station. I am very bad with using bus)
>>
>>67590050
Really cheap. The train sometimes breaks down, but nothing to be too worry about. If all else fails just hail a cab/taxi.
>>
>>67590050
Are you coming here to study or business? If business, try to get ur company to accomodate you. Housing here is really expensive. Almost as bad as buying a house in Japan.
>>
File: 1444430586811.png (168KB, 748x756px) Image search: [Google]
1444430586811.png
168KB, 748x756px
>be singaporean
>grt fined for dancing without a permit
>>
>>67590050
I can't speak for the bus (I've never taken one because I hate them) but it's around $1 per ride.. I ride to work and back every mon-friday and then for groceries and going out with my friends on the weekends and I find that $50 usually last me about 2.5 weeks
The city itself is really easy to navigate by mrt (subway) and the longest it takes from one side to the other is maybe 45? it's not bad

Rent is super expensive here so get ready for that. I live in a flat by myself and it's $2700 per month (includes internet, tv, and utilities).. if you live in a hbd it'll be cheaper and you can always get roommates to make it cheaper but I can't stand either of those
>>
>>67590092
I have a vague idea about moving there for business. (Idk I am thinking about moving there as a physician/professor if given an opportunity.)
>>
>>67588864
This.
>>
>>67590137
Physicians here earn a very high amount of income if private practice.

Public practice pays less, but doctors go into this for the sake of legitimately helping those that really need the help.

But don't think you'll find a problem getting a physician job here.

Have you done your residency and your specialization yet?
>>
>>67590234
>Have you done your residency and your specialization yet?
Well not yet. I just have vague idea of working in SG or Dubai for a few years after finishing my residency/fellowship or doing a sabbatical in SG if I were to get tenure in a uni or so.
>>
>>67590288
Wait. You're MD-PhD right? Considering you can teach as a professor to my knowledge of US system
>>
>>67590134
You must be interning at an investment bank or be very well paid to rent a whole flat for yourself.

What is your address and daily schedule like?
>>
>>67589668
What?
>>
>>67590327
I make 1200 a month lmao my parents pay for all my bills and I have a credit card that I use for everything else
>>
>>67590319
Just an MD but I am considering working in academia or pharmaceutical industry.

Kinda don't like dealing with insurance company and I am not a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who doesn't have to deal with insurance bullshit
>>
>>67590387
Are you considering to do a specialization in Plastic Surgery?
>>
>>67590380
How much do your parents love you?

Could you also let us know what your movements are like e.g. what route you take to and from work?
>>
>>67590524
Lolno. Don't have enough score to get in. I am just doing neuro
>>
>>67590540
Neurology or Neurosurgery?
>>
>>67590605
Just neuro. I could not have their hellish lifestyle. Except for plastic surgeon, pretty much every surgeon has worst lifestyle ever but neurosurgeons have it harder among surgeons. I think neurosurgeon is one of professions with highest divorce rate
>>
>>67590639
Probably one of the reasons why I think Ben Carson decided to be a politician. XDXXXD
>>
>>67590639
I know a guy whose father is a neurosurgeon. Stable marriage and married a nurse, expects his kids to go into medicine as well.

According to my friend, ever since he was promoted to manager of his branch he doesn't really do surgery anymore yet makes a fuckton of money which he spends on /g/ shit
>>
>>67590687
Is the son a wastrel who disappoints his parents? This is usually the case
>>
>>67590687
That's a consultant surgeon. All you do is supervise and arrange a team of surgeons around. Like if they fuck up and split a blood vessel in the brain, you have to step in to unfuck their shit up. Usually surgeons are extra careful and don't turn their patients into a vegetable so he probably doesn't need to step in that often.
>>
>>67590734
bingo, he's still being sent to australia to study medicine on daddy's dime anyway
>>
>>67590780
Taking A levels now, came across this thread. Trying to get into NUS med, wish me luck.
>>
>>67590793
'98? My brother born on that year is also taking. NUS is full of degenerates anyway but gambatte nonetheless anon-kun
>>
>>67590818
Nah man. You want that sweet 400k subsidy.
>>
>>67590793
>NUS med
Aren't there imperial nanyang thing and duke-nus thing as well? I kinda looked into those as second option while I was applying to American med school
>>67590687
>>67590745
It's like when ppl reaches their late 40's or early 50's tho. Of course, it's great but there are so many toils before reaching that position.
>>67590780
Is Australia basically the place for SG ppl to send their kids who failed college entrance?
>>
>>67590818

Not Medicine. The degenerates for now are mostly in Arts and Social Sciences. Engineering and Science is full of chinks and indians

NUS as a whole pales in comparison to Yale-NUS in terms of sjwery
>>
>>67590834
Imperial shit requires BMAT, which is basically MCAT for undergrad medicine.

Duke-NUS only offers graduate medicine, aka MD programme.

NUS is the one that offers it without all the shit strings. That's why its more popular and hard to get in.
>>
>>67590869
>67590869
Didn't know Imperial nanyang requires BMAT like the main campus does. I didn't take BMAT but took UKCAT which is also for UK med school. Shit wasn't too bad.

Also, I think Duke-NUS required MCAT when I was thinking of applying there. I didn't end up applying there tho. Could not afford tuition
>>
>>67590913
I'm planning to take UKCAT after I finish my A levels. Any tips my bro.
>>
>>67590956
>I'm planning to take UKCAT after I finish my A levels.
Can you afford the 5 yrs tuition in the UK or you get local tuition by being British citizen or so? You have to think about that first. I think tuition for med school there was like GBP 20k a year or so
>>
>>67591037
Yea I already got the finance down. It's just the grades. I'm not one of those obnoxious people that gets into shit without thinking and everything just falls apart after that.
>>
>>67591066
For UKCAT you just don't have enough time to even finish the question. (the reading section in UKCAT was def harder than SAT. Passages were short but they gave me so little time that I thought I had 2/3 times to read passages than SAT) I think there was a book with 800-900 practice questions and I think that can help.
>>
>>67591128
So the main thing that I need to get down is the speed. Is the maths hard?
>>
>>67591275
>Is the maths hard?
Yea it is. You don't need to know advanced shit like calculus or so but I ran out of time while solving it. (I did AP calculus and stat back in high school and I dont think i used much skills from those classes.)
>>
>>67589895
>Every non American (other than like some right wing ppl) supported Hillary
So fucking wrong.
>>
>>67587072
>what's the catch
It has lots of indians
>>
>>67591422
How? Isn`t singaporean immigration policy really severe?
>>
>>67591443
towers don't build themselves
>>
>>67591675
They`re the high tech capital of the Earth, why don`t they use some robots?
>>
>>67591849
Pajeets are cheaper, even if you factor in the cost of housebreaking them
>>
>>67590538
>How much do your parents love you?

>Could you also let us know what your movements are like e.g. what route you take to and from work?

These questions, are kidnappings/ransom common in Singapore?
>>
>>67592026
Rare. It's like you want to get hanged.
>>
>>67591422
You mean bangladeshi. Most of the indian immigrants are here to work tech or medicine. Doesn't stop them from smelling bad but at least they're educated and poo in loo

It's the mainland chinks that are scum and compete with the eternal pajeet in terms of disregarding hygiene
>>
Singapore is a meme country where they sacrificed their culture, put autism on a pedestal and just live for money.
>>
>>67592026

Its one of the five capital offences punishable by death
>>
>>67592645
Malaysia is a meme. Who's government is forced into a deadlock where everyone's in on a corruption scheme.
>>
>>67587072
seriously

is it islam cunt?
why does it have crescent and star on 8t?
>>
>>67590288
Do you have a thing for regressive authoritarian shitholes?
>>
>>67593922
No, they were just too autistic to know better
>>
>>67593922
>>67594081
Stars and crescent has no islamic meaning.
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Significance+of+stars+and+moon+of+Singapore+flag
>>
Paradise m8, i'm now here for 2 months for work. Wish i could stay.
>>
>>67595138
Expat? Wanna go for a drink?
>>
>>67588188
>No ones gonna arrest you for throwing litter. It's all just meme laws that's meant to scare you.
This, i was abit intimidated when coming into the country. I was expecting a western north-korea. But people are chill as fuck. I do miss abit the drugs culture but yeah coming from Amsterdam what could i expect.
>>
>>67595168
Yes, but man, i'm so hung over from yesterday. Went abit over the limit. But how about next week in the weekend?
>>
>>67595274
May not be free. But damn, where do you usually go for drinks?
>>
>>67595311
Just let me know, haven't really yet experienced the nightlife. A female co-worker suggested clarke quay.
>>
>>67595394
Clarke Quey's a really mainstream place for drinks tho. Orchard tower is where a lot of Westerners congregate in. You could try Raffles Place.
>>
>>67595773
Where do you go for a drink and good times?
>>
>>67595821
go to boat quay for cheaper, clarke quay if you're a pleb, roberston walk if you want to pregame in a nice place and then go to CQ after, and Orchard if you want to pregame in a nice place and then go somewhere else after
>>
>>67596296
>Going to different places in one night
Its like you wamt cardiac arrest
>>
>>67589688
Are Islamists a big threat? Does the Chinese Christian Governor of Jakarta still feel he's in danger?
>>
>>67597555
Idk man. Don't care. Bald Eagle has 2 of their largest warships parked here. So compared to primitive mudslime technology, we're not scared.
>>
>>67587072
If you have money, you would be great. If you have just enough money, you would be okay. If you don't have money and are expected to work. Welcome to hell.
>>
Singapore is a meme and boring
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.