[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scandinavian( and Finnish ) anon's asking a question. Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Jaden-Smith.jpg (234KB, 1997x2137px) Image search: [Google]
Jaden-Smith.jpg
234KB, 1997x2137px
Scandinavian( and Finnish ) anon's asking a question. Is it true that you are taught in you local languages up until like later middle-school or high school where English is added and gradually increased in how much you study it?
>>
No. Depending on your school, people can learn English from grade one or even earlier at day care places.
>>
>>67355391
True, but op way is the majority, though.
>>
yeah pretty much, but my uni doesn't have mandatory English classes, instead they give you 5 years to find a course and approve a Toefl test by the end of your degree. If you don't approve it, no degree for you.
Though is kinda dumb to not learn English, most of my books about programming aren't translated to English.
>>
>>67354496
I started studying english in 3rd grade at elementary school.
Rate of it stayed same during the rest six years of it. In high school you can study it more or start learning new languages if you so want.
>>
>>67354496

Pretty similar thing where I lived. Nothing but English then in your second year of middle school you picked a foreign language to study(Spanish, French, or German) then you were encouraged to continue the study of it throughout high school or switch over to another one(we also had Russian and Arabic)

Most Universities in the US require at least 3 years study of a foreign language(as far as I know) so it's nice when you can get it away in high school if you want to focus on other things. Some require a certain number of years of study for admission.
>>
>>67354496

We learn English grammar from Elementary school, but those who leave it at that are SHIT at speaking the language.

Only the cool kids who played dank vidya and watched American and British movies are actually good English speakers.
>>
You can start studying english early, but in 3rd grade you must start studying a foreign language. English is mandatory but some students start also french or german in that age. On seventh grade swedish becomes mandatory. Its funny how no one can really speak it even when it must be studied all the way through high school too
>>
File: 1442682368084.png (274KB, 475x325px) Image search: [Google]
1442682368084.png
274KB, 475x325px
>>67354496
Age 7 - start learning Swedish (mother tongue) and Finnish
Age 9 - start learning English
Age 13 - opportunity to learn 2nd foreign language
Age 16 (high school) - forced to pick up 2nd foreign language

University - have to study Finnish, Swedish, English and 2nd foreign language (despite it being an economics degree).
>>
In the Netherlands kids get English from the age of 10 to 16-18.
They get Dutch from 4 to 16-18.
And other languages from 12 to 16-18. Usually German and French, but if you're smart also Latin and/or Greek.

Dumb kids get less education so they graduate from high school around 16.
Smart kids get more subjects so they are finished after around 18.
>>
We learn luxembourgish and German from 1st grad
We start learning French in second grade
We learn English in 8th grade , after that you can either choose between Spanish or Italian
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.