[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do other countries think of our presidential election system?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (192KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
192KB, 1920x1080px
What do other countries think of our presidential election system? I'm talking about how elections now take 2 years of constant shit flinging.
>>
File: 12345.png (171KB, 426x462px) Image search: [Google]
12345.png
171KB, 426x462px
It's fucking retarded.
>>
>>66942394
This. And this people teach us 'democracy', my sides.
>>
>>66941952
It's like you asked a 5 year old to design the most complicated and fucked up system they could.

Plus no ID required.

Seriously.

No, seriously.
>>
>>66942394
This. All of my this
>>
>>66941952
We don't think issue is with your system, issue is with your voters.
>>
>>66942394
this
More people preferred Gore than Bush, but Bush becomes president
How wrecked is that
>>
>presidential veto
>presidential pardon
>president not accountable to anyone (short of being impeached)
>Second term president doesn't even need to worry about reelection
>Basically a monarch

Who thought this was a good idea
>>
>>66941952
With so many processes you would think that the people like Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton wouldn't be able to achieve so much.
I think the winner-take-all system is unfair and Congressional District Method is way more reasonable. Using the Congressional District Method would also prevent Gerrymandering. Another thing is the ballots you use. Why are they so retarded? Sometimes the vote doesn't get registered (primarily old voters) because you can't create functional ballots. Why don't all state use the Congressional District Method?
>>
>>66942694
>basically a monarch
Historically, when a monarch fucked up, he lost his head. When the POTUS fucks up, he doesn't even lose his job.
>>
>>66942924
President of Korea loses their heads
>>
>>66942394
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mWtWz_aGyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmI6YpGew1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOw8aiyMUAU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwjIL8BgvO8
>>
i just looked it up
the voting doesn't even fucking matter, if the electorate wants to vote for whoever they want, they can
the voting is just a suggestion

>>>>>>democracy
>>
>>66943916
That's technically true, but the electorate always votes with the voters.
>>
It's an interesting system and isn't without its merits, mostly because it levels the playing field between small and big states. Would be interesting to see how it would work out in a multi-party system.

I guess one of the quirks that makes me wonder the most is how the people living in swing states feel about all the pressure and attention they get every 4 years and how people from all the other states feel about people from ohio and florida having essentially the last word on who gets to be president.
>>
the biggest problem with this system is how much power it gives florida
>>
>>66943977
>but the electorate always votes with the voters.
Does he?
>>
>>66944136
I think there was once a case where the elector voted against the voters as a protest of the system itself because she knew her vote wouldn't matter since the candidate won her state anyway.
>>
>>66941952
System is retarded, but your elections are very fun.
Me and 2 of my friends are unironically taking a day off work on 9 November to witness the memes live.
>>
It drags on so long I'm honestly surprised anyone still cares when election day rolls around.
>>
The usual, if you are old enough to live through them
>>
File: Безымянный.png (99KB, 1702x958px) Image search: [Google]
Безымянный.png
99KB, 1702x958px
>>66944231
>once
>>
>>66945100
My mistake, thank you Dmitri.
>>
>>66941952
It's retarded but honestly it's fun to look at.

Like a circus.
>>
File: ede82d67c6edafbd4cbe5118d654f03f.jpg (715KB, 2000x1339px) Image search: [Google]
ede82d67c6edafbd4cbe5118d654f03f.jpg
715KB, 2000x1339px
Is electing Doland Trump going to fix our system?

What is he going to do about gerrymandering? About term limits? About money in politics? About lobbying? About the revolving door? About the length of the campaigns?

We can all agree that all the above are fundamental problems of our system. Democrat, Republican, Other... we all agree. Yet nothing seems to be done about it. And each election it gets worse.

At least some of the states (eg Ohio) have taken positive steps to curtail gerrymandering. But the rest just fills me with despair.
>>
File: All animals are equal.jpg (122KB, 736x359px) Image search: [Google]
All animals are equal.jpg
122KB, 736x359px
>>66942394
>>
It's no worse than the rest of election systems in your country, and by that I mean it's just as bad. When will you finally fucking hand out mandatory passports and tie voter registration to them instead of these laughable fucking Mickey Mouse registrations or no registration at all?
>>
>>66941952
It's a good system, the only problem is that it doesn't work when the voters are borderline retarded and don't really like to read or educate themselves in any manner.
Perhaps limit the right to vote to holders of STEM degrees?
>>
>>66949551
>fix our system
What needs to be fixed?
The american brand of strong local autonomy, public elections for local public administration based around community effort, large differences between administration on state level and an all encompassing, relatively hands off federal system coupled with the senate, congress, senate, president and a monolithic supreme justice are all part of the madness that keeps the administrative nightmare that is the US from falling apart.

Tighten the rules any more and it all comes tumbling down.
>>
>>66942394
Stimulates cognation
>>
>>66943024
>loses their heads
Sanity*
>>
Your system is even worse than ours and that's impressive.
>>
>>66950082
>It's a good system

Pretty confident even the Iranian "system" is better than our's.
>>
>>66950421
>let me tell you about your country

The Federal government in the US today is the strongest it has been since 1945.
>>
They Literally only Talk about Trump, and its only negative, and even if they start talking about Clinton, ita only praising her.
>>
>>66951391
Not really.
>>
>>66941952
You are talking about different things.
The system in itself has many flaws you should correct, (not last voting on tuesday when a lot of people work) but it's a sound democracy, no question there, and all other democracies have quirks too.
The shit flinging is another problem and it's happening everywhere. The somewhat forced politeness of the past is gone today.
>>
It has one merit to it, it guarantees federalism.

Each state has a set number of delegates, and all get allocated to the winner of that state, so if a candidate wins by a landslide in some states but still loses in most others (specially the large ones), he won't be elected, even if he has more votes than the other candidate because of those states he won by a landslide.
>>
>>66953018
They don't know or don't care about how corrupt she is?
>>
>>66942394
weird to think just how different the world would be now if Gore was elected

Bush epitomises the perception most of the globe has of the US
>>
File: bush.gif (3MB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
bush.gif
3MB, 267x200px
>>66957990
>he wouldn't enjoy a nice beer with George on his comfy ranch
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.