[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't Americans like public communication? Where I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 19

File: tramwaj-środek.jpg (427KB, 858x628px) Image search: [Google]
tramwaj-środek.jpg
427KB, 858x628px
Why don't Americans like public communication?

Where I live it's pretty much great and if it's like 1 minute late everyone chimps out.

You can buy the tickets in the tram/bus in most cases, they're clean, most got air conditioning, they're faster than cars, you can drink and come back from a party/pub.

Their only downsides is that sometimes you need to wait few minutes for them and share it with other people.
>>
File: 1445077908006.jpg (130KB, 554x600px) Image search: [Google]
1445077908006.jpg
130KB, 554x600px
>>66884522
Fuck public communication. I only communicate privately.
>>
You mean public transportation?

The US is a big place and pretty spread out. Also automotive industry lobbies.
>>
>>66884522
Unless you live in a relatively large city our public transit is shit. Keep in mind we have a lot more landmass to cover than the average euro-cunt
>>
>>66884555
>>66884552
I mean the city one.

Landmass has nothing to do with public transportation in cities.
>>
>>66884573
It's commute, not communicate.
Communicate means to talk.
Commute means to travel.
Public commutes would be traveling on a bus, train, etc.
>>
File: polishfaghadmegoogle.jpg (346KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
polishfaghadmegoogle.jpg
346KB, 1000x667px
>>66884522
It's the way most of the cities are designed. Cities here are not like Europe (except NYC and SF) where there are people walking on the streets and there's always a convenience store nearby. It's all basically spread out, you need a car and cars are really cheap here to be honest. Highways are ok and there's plenty of roads to drive and feel comfy.
>>
I'm fine with public transport in Japan and Europe but it's the worst thing ever when I visit America. It's just full of obnoxious rednecks or ghetto niggers making as much noise as possible and bothering everyone around them.
>>
>>66884522
There's a few reasons actually
>our public transit systems are generally pretty bad
>people in America generally live further away from their jobs than in Europe
>the privacy level is much greater in a car than in public transport
>cars and gasoline are much cheaper in the US than Europe
>freedom to go wherever you want, not just being stuck on a fixed public transport line
I personally love having a car. It's opened up my world.
>>
>>66884573
Big city metros and trams can be packed as shit. It's not like people don't use them oftentimes they're underfunded. Also we can do all the things you said in the OP it's not too different it seems.

Most cities here were built less then 200 years ago, making a boring grid format better for cars and not conducive to public transportation. It's efficient
>>
>>66884573

But most people in US cities have a favorable view of public transit. The main complaint is always shit being late or crazy people on the bus/train.

That and certain bus lines shutting down before the bars close.
>>
File: triggered.gif (1MB, 371x209px)
triggered.gif
1MB, 371x209px
>>66884659
>bus lines shutting down before the bars close
This so much.
Before Uber I always had to drive home super slow and in the back streets.
>>
>>66884608
This anon is right

OP, watch this video, it explores your topic and answers your question /watch?v=aQSxPzafO_k
>>
So what do you do for intellectual stimuli on your way to work /int/?
>>
>>66884687
Shitpost on /int/ tbqh.
>>
File: 1472651315480.jpg (56KB, 689x816px)
1472651315480.jpg
56KB, 689x816px
>drunk on a tram with buddy coming back from a wedding
>hand a rose to qt in seat in front of me
>she smiles
>>
File: 1a1.jpg (42KB, 720x726px) Image search: [Google]
1a1.jpg
42KB, 720x726px
>>66884713
>tfw I drive home alone
>tfw I don't know this feel
>>
>>66884649
>>66884659
It cam be crowded here as well but if you got problems with too many people dn't you just buy more trams/buses/metro carts to add them for the peak hours?

>>66884610
We don't get a lot of crazies here, luckily. Sometimes a homeless person that dosn't smell too well(I see one like once a month) but that's the case everywhere in the world I guess.
>>
>>66884725
all u gotta do is drink, and then drink more
then when u cant drive the real shenanigans start
>>
File: driving feel.jpg (62KB, 650x842px) Image search: [Google]
driving feel.jpg
62KB, 650x842px
>>66884729
Check out the driving threads on /o/
They're pretty full of American people talking about why they love cars so much.
Mention public transportation for bonus points.
>>
>>66884752
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5KqEQvgYyk
>>
>>66884770
Well I got a car but sometimes it's quicker to use the tam or bus(bus lanes help).

For example yesterday if I wanted to go to one of the city cemetaries using a car would be murder due to traffic and instead I can take a bus(crowded but still) and get there 5 times faster.
>>
File: 1471995030659.png (18KB, 300x250px)
1471995030659.png
18KB, 300x250px
>>66884729
>yfw you're the crazy one on public transport
>>
>>66884729
I wish it were that simple but like I said they are underfunded.

The area I live there is a service called Bart and it's often cited as being terribly inefficient and wasteful with outdated equipment and trains.

For how bike/PT friendly the bay area is the govt doesn't seem to like putting money into that stuff their top priority.

There is the whole high speed rail thing and voting measures going on right now though.
>>
>>66884813
>Bart
Oakland?
>>
>>66884807
I'd imagine you live close enough to the city for that to be practical. Here, I live 20 minutes away from my job by car, but its almost two hours by bus.
>>
>>66884522
Most Americans live in big suburbs where public transport isn't common desu
>>
>>66884624
I have a car and I basically only use it when I leave the city. In the city I just use public transport because fuck dealing with traffic and finding a parking spot.
>>
File: 1443739207529.jpg (1MB, 2048x1357px) Image search: [Google]
1443739207529.jpg
1MB, 2048x1357px
>>66884838
>tfw no way out of suburban nightmare
>>
File: KZ_20160210_1.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px)
KZ_20160210_1.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>66884813
But isn't city communication super important for it's growth, ecology and even the citizens stress levels?

In my city it's one of the top priorities even if 70% of the citizens have cars. The communication city companies get quite a lot of cash but also fund themslves.

For example this is a average city bus and tram in my city. I have no diea how it matches with US ones but when I traveled in Europe it seems pretty much ok/good so I guess the money is well spent.
>>
>>66884608
I used to watch a Yank girls vlog channel and she moved to NYC, when talking about ti she constantly talked about how she could walk to the grocery store and get anywhere in the city by train. I remember thinking "What is is good about walking the shop?" desu

>>66884867
I'm basically a shut in anyway so I'd rather than a big suburban American house than a small Britshed desu

desu
>>
>>66884824
San Ramon

I hate this place
>>
>>66884522
Public transportation is unnatural. Did your ancestors ride on a horse or share a tiny wagon with 50 other mongols? No, our cars are like your horses.
>>
>>66884889

America has a lot bigger roads and streets and it's easier to get a car there. It's not like Europe and Asia that have road spaghetti and too many people on the streets.
>>
>>66884833
How can it be 2h by bus and 20 by car?

If there's traffic buses just use the bus lanes and go quicker than cars?
>>
>>66884889
Some parts of my area have buses that are nice like that but a lot don't.

Stuff is really commercialized and pro-business here. Seems harder to get the govt to look out for its citizens than in Europe but I could be wrong.
>>
File: 1443408778078.jpg (289KB, 3091x2061px)
1443408778078.jpg
289KB, 3091x2061px
>>66884906
but quaint is comfy
when you live in a place like this everything in life just seems so far away and beyond yourself
>>
>>66884687
*bing* *bing *1UP* YAHOO
>>
>>66884864
>fuck a parking spot
This as well. It's a pain in the ass. It's a huge stuggle.

I know US has huge parkings but still every seond buildingsn eeds to be a parking if you want to sort out all the citizens, workers and tourists.
>>
File: 1972 mustang.jpg (17KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1972 mustang.jpg
17KB, 450x450px
>>66884948
>bus lanes
We don't have those.
>>66884909
It could always be worse. At least you don't live in Livermore.
>>66884867
Looks comfy as hell tbqh.

Unrelated, but pic related is the one car that got away. I was *this* close to buying it.
>>
>>66884985
good post
>>
>>66885036
I grew up in Concord and I liked it, even if it's not as safe at least it had some substance and I could take bart into Sf easier.

San Ramon is so stuck up the other day I was pulled over for riding a bike "really often". It's basically a crime to not own a car here.
>>
>>66885030
*second building needs
>>
>>66885069
>San Ramon is so stuck up the other day I was pulled over for riding a bike "really often". It's basically a crime to not own a car here.
Ugh. I had to ride a bike for four years during high school. If I got harassed by cops for that, I'd be salty af. Luckily, you can find good cars on CL for ~$2k-3k if you are ok with old Hondas and Toyotas.
>>
File: sciezka-wb-55155.jpg (157KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
sciezka-wb-55155.jpg
157KB, 1200x798px
>>66885069
>>66885109
Do you have bike lanes in USA?

I saw none when I was there.
>>
>>66885140
bike lanes do exist in certain parts
where did you visit?
>>
>>66885140
We do.

They are getting more frequent the mentality in general is changing to be more bike friendly imo but it has a long way to go.

People hate bikers I hear them talking shit whenever I bring up biking with nonbikers. I was almost run over by an old person today who thought red light and walk symbol meant step on the gas and thought I was at fault.
>>
>>66885157
Minneapolis, and a part of Virginia/Tennessee. Stayed 1 night in St Paul and NY.
>>
>>66884522
Muh car, Muh Freedom, it's too Ingrained Into their mind. Also They Will Never Get Chicks Without A car . Fuck swiftkey
>>
can we talk about roundabouts? we need more here

>>66885187
interesting selection of places
why did you go to these places?
>>
>>66885201
I was told to go to a few meetings by my boss since he dosn't know english and it happend that those were the places where I had the meetings.
>>
>>66885221
I'm a bit jealous you've got work that sends you abroad
if you ever make your way to connecticut there is a decent sized polish community
even a neighborhood of all polish speakers
>>
>>66885251
I'm affraid of flying so it was a nightmare for me. Flying from Charlotte to some tiny place on a small jet that was just shaking like crazy was one of the worst experiences in my life.

I usually don't have a lot of time to "explore" I always do shopping though and always in the US because brand clothes and electronics are cheaper.
>>
>>66885283
flying is shit. always feel nauseous
are you one of the lucky ones that is at least able to sleep on a plane?
>>
>>66885355
I drink during flights that are longer than 4h.

I order a lot of wódka, watch some ice age part X or Madagascar and fall asleep.
>>
>>66884522
i'm gonna defend murica, it happens that American cities are so fucking BIG that if you don't have a car then you are fucked

also they still have a good transport sytem on big cities but they dont rely on public transport that much since almost everyone can afford their own car
>>
>>66885393
Tokyo is big and the transport is goat, same for Berlin.
>>
>>66885377
sounds pretty good
got to get those duty free mini liquors and load up on the plane

>>66885393
out of curiosity how many highways does chile have? there must be that one long one that goes all the way north to south
>>
>>66885401
It's big but it's dense. Even the distant suburbs (e.g. inland Chiba) are dense enough to have 15-minute bus frequencies connecting to rail _and_ have people regularly using them
>>
File: ruta 5 norte.jpg (487KB, 954x527px) Image search: [Google]
ruta 5 norte.jpg
487KB, 954x527px
>>66885401

a public sytem big as the one of tokyo is not viable for an american city because even if they have the same population on big cities, the american ones are not that densely populated, americans like to build houses in the outskirts so they can enjoy big housing, instead of tiny houses like the ones of Japan or europe

>>66885407
we have a lot of highways and they are all well kept
>>
>>66885393
Americans don't like talking to strangers and having no personal space. Even Halloween is becoming outdated, nobody goes trick or treating anymore. Maybe it's a different culture in Eastern Europe and other third world regions but even if cities were better designed for public transport, I still wouldn't use it. People would rather use a bike or even walk.
>>
File: 1403237889180.jpg (21KB, 314x364px) Image search: [Google]
1403237889180.jpg
21KB, 314x364px
>>66885622
>Americans don't like talking to strangers
I wish this was true
>go to the store at ~05:00 to buy some depression ice cream
>minding my own business
>older lady says something like "wow ice cream! that's a nice breakfast"
>someone else says the same thing to me a couple minutes later
>>
File: usaaa.jpg (29KB, 514x385px)
usaaa.jpg
29KB, 514x385px
>>66885622
>in Eastern Europe and other third world regions
>>
>>66885622
are you sure, americans are by far the most friendly white tourists, at least here
>>
>>66884522
Public transportation is a fucking meme and it should have died.
>>
>polish english
>>
niggers
>>
Yugoslavia doesn't exist anymore so nobody makes windows for our trolleybusses.
>>
Amerifats do not understand what public system means. They do not have a decent public education or decent public health. Actually they do not even understand the concept of city, with its squares, avenues and streets. Pure decadence.
>>
People who drive cars in the city, really do drive me mad. I'm not talking about taxis, people who have to transport shit, people who HAVE to use cars because they have to carry a lot of shit in order to do their jobs (e.g. construction workers who have to use ladders, paint,etc, or electricians, and so on).
I'm talking about people who use cars when they could use public transport.
You guys make EVERYONE'S life worse, including your own.
Traffic goes up, more people have to wait for longer hours, more accidents happen, air pollution is worse, more parking space is required and often parks and other places are taken down, the life of pedestrians is worse, and so many more...
Just imagine how much better life would be for everyone if shitheads stopped using cars.
There would be none of the problems that I've mentioned before, plus public transport would be faster, cheaper, more efficient, more buses/trains/etc would be used, resulting in more jobs for the locals, and so many more benefits...
FUCK people who use cars in cities.
>>
>>66888272
Suburbanization is a bitch as well desu.
>>
>>66888322
I live in the suburbs, and I still use public transit.
It literally takes 20 minutes more in a BAD day to get to my work, instead of using a car.
Plus, while I'm on the train, I usually read a book, something that a faggot driver can't do.
And even when I'm late it's ALWAYS because some cocksucker has left their car in the middle of the road or something
>>
>>66888388
Not possible in burger. Oil companies destroyed public transportation, and all our cities are designed around car use.

Horizontal cookie cutter houses that can only be traversed by car for miles around as well.
>>
>>66888443
alright, use a motorbike instead. Why a fucking car?
>inb4 huuuur, it's cold :((((
M A N U P
>>
>>66888563
I live in SoCal, those things are deathtraps. People drive so aggressively here, guys on motorcycles die all the time.
>>
>>66884522
Most places have very shit public transportation. It is faster to take a car in most cases unless you live right in the city. I think most people forget how big America is. Finally, tram, metro and any form of rail transport is utter shit. Whenever I take a train to Albany it is delayed from half an hour to an hour because it runs on the same line as the freight trains.
>>
>>66884522
Was zum Teufel hast du grade über mich gesagt, du kleine Schlampe? Du solltest wissen, dass ich meine Ausbildung beim GSG9 als Jahrgangsbester abgeschlossen habe, in mehrere Kommandounternehmen gegen Al-Kaida involviert war und über 300 bestätigte Tötungen habe. Ich bin in Gorillakriegsführung ausgebildet und der beste Scharfschütze im deutschen Bundesheer. Du bist für mich nichts als ein weiteres Ziel. Ich werde dich mit einer nie zuvor gesehenen Präzision vom Antliz dieser Welt tilgen, merk dir meine verdammten Worte. Du denkst du könntest hier im Internet so eine Scheiße über mich erzählen und damit durchkommen? Denk lieber nochmal darüber nach, du Wichser. Während wir uns hier unterhalten, habe ich schon mein geheimes Netzwerk aus Spionen kontaktiert und deine IP-Adresse wird grade rückverfolgt, also mach dich besser auf den Sturm gefasst, du Made. Der Sturm, der das erbärmliche kleine Ding, das du als dein "Leben" bezeichnest, auslöschen wird. Du bist verdammt nochmal tot, Junge. Ich könnte jederzeit überall sein, und dich auf über siebenhundert verschiedene Arten töten, nur mit meinen bloßen Händen. Aber ich bin nicht nur im unbewaffneten Kampf ausgebildet, ich habe auch Zugriff auf das Waffenarsenal der Bundeswehr und ich werde es aufs Vollste ausschöpfen, um deinen elendigen Arsch von diesem Kontinent zu blasen, du kleiner Scheißkerl. Wenn du nur gewusst hättest, was für eine apokalyptische Rache dein kleiner "witziger" Kommentar provoziert hat, hättest du vermutlich dein verdammtes Maul gehalten. Aber nein, das hast du nicht hinbekommen, das wolltest du nicht, und jetzt wirst du dafür bezahlen, du verdammter Idiot. Du wirst in meinem Hass ertrink
>>
>>66888742
the problem with the USA's commuting system is everything is privately owned and managed, no wonder why it's so shitty
In many european countries tramway, metro, buses, train etc is owned and managed by the state, therefore they're doing a duty of public service with all the responsibilities that come with it
>>
>>66888272
>get in a bus with porch monkeys and single moms with noisy kids
Yea no. Fuck the environment.
>>
>>66888885
In Poland they're city owned(so state as well I guess).
>>
>>66888885
>In many european countries tramway, metro, buses, train etc is owned and managed by the state, therefore they're doing a duty of public service with all the responsibilities that come with it
lmao
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.