[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>yuor kuntri >can you pronounce "th sound"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: image_1.png (36KB, 248x127px) Image search: [Google]
image_1.png
36KB, 248x127px
>yuor kuntri
>can you pronounce "th sound"
Bulgaria
No =(
>>
Δ or Θ ?
I am a greek
>>
>>66507915
cunt
kind of, but it sounds more like an st or z when I'm nervous
>>
On one hand, I'm inclined to criticize someone who can't just simply say the "t/d" sound with his tongue on his front teeth, but on the other I assume speakers of other languages might feel the same with their own niche sounds like the French with their R and Arabs with their ayin.
>>
>>66508041
what's so hard about our R ?
it's like you're clearing your throat before spitting
>>
File: 4321431412452.png (55KB, 250x210px) Image search: [Google]
4321431412452.png
55KB, 250x210px
>>66507915
fuck "th", this shit is cancer
>>
yes and it's called the þ-sound

>>66507960
isn't delta a hard d?
or is it a voiced ð-sound
>>
>>66508076
For Anglo speakers it's too far back in the mouth to seamlessly integrate with front vowels/consonants.

>>66508102
*dis shit is cancer, maybe?
>>
Just pretend to be a gay snake
>>
>>66508159
It's a hard d, the Frenchie's just being edgy.
Theta = þorn
Eð has no equivalent in IPA other than "ð"
>>
>>66507915
>have no analog of that sound in my mother tongue
>took the English classes by Skype for a year
Yes, I can. It's not that hard.
>>
>>66508208
Drop the 'the' Ivan.
>>
>>66508159
it is ð
probably should have written ð, sorry
hard d is spelt "nt" in greek"

>>66508167
like in "artiste" ?
pro tip : do the german ch if you can, most people won't find it shocking, hell, most people won't even notice
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1ScG5EZCpUA

also, no, OP, I cannot do the θ, I have a gap between my front teeth, i have to stick out my tongue very far to do it properly
>>
>>66508205
lol no
Δ is like the sound in "the"
>>
I can, but whenever I talk fast in English - which is pretty much always, sometimes I forget to pronounce TH sounds properly. Or the W.

It doesn't matter, I can't nail the proper rhythm and stress of this damned language down, so I'm going to have an accent anyway.
>>
>>66508338
Fair enough; just that we're used to our r's being in the front of our mouths, not only with the Anglo r but also the Rolled r more common in foreign languages. Also, for the gap, try putting your tongue right behind the teeth and see what happens.
>>
>>66508076
As I recall, you francophones have even two types of R, solid one like in « repo » and more softened version after a vowel like in « car» or « solar », n'est-ce pas?
>>
File: Lisp.png (10KB, 380x306px) Image search: [Google]
Lisp.png
10KB, 380x306px
Thpain doth it all the time. Ethpethially in the Cathtilian areath.
>>
>>66508552
How is Spanish Spanish seen in Latin America? Is it seen as somewhat posh and/or effeminate like British English is in the States?
>>
>>66508338
Arbre
Réfrigérateur

On one hand I enjoy studying French, but on other hand, I hate it because of the gazillion of tenses.
>>
>>66508453
oh, it works way better
but now I took the habit of saying a retarded "th" with the tongue out, I have to lose that, thanks

>>66508474
well it's not really a fixed rule, officialy we only have one R, but when speaking nobody pronounces Rs that are at the end of a word, well, we pronounce them, but significantly softened
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1mgmSMexJna
>>
>>66508076
This, our R (we have pretty much the same) is super simple compared to Slavic, Spanish or Italian "rrrrrr" which is near impossible to do
>>
>>66508673
No problem, man.
>>
>>66508552
>he sinks we can't detect a chicano
>>
>>66508736
Wait, you guys can't tap or roll the Spanish-style r's? That's rather easy for an English speaker to do (but we don't do it in English because it doesn't flow well when surrounded by consonants). Really makes you think.
>>
>>66508424
eh so what. you can speak hungarian and thats fucking crazy. seriously your language is so cool.

and you should just watch a bunch more tv and try and repeat after them with the same stresses on the words. pretend its like a pimsleur tape. if youre doing it online you can pause and rewind really easily. thats how i started to get better at french.
>>
>>66508783
Tap like in Spainish "pero" is doable, but the one in "perro"? No chance. Some other dialect speakers like Bavarians and Swabians/Swiss still do that though
>>
it's like the sss snake sound except with the tip of the tongue between the teeth instead of behind it
>>
>you;re a country
>can u pronounce slavo-mongoloid sound ы (y)?
(here is the video for these who don't know what the fuck is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD-u_lsJ-84 )

Russia yes
>>
>>66508299
Yes, that's the best idea, 'cause we haven't any articles either. Native or proficient English speakers always confused about my lack of articles. I suppose a lot of Eastern Slavs speaks the same.
>>
>>66507915
turkey
no
>>
>>66508841
Wow; it's kinda hard to explain, but you just gotta "motorboat" the tongue against the hard palate.

>>66508852
This; articles are one of those things that you have to learn and use well to truly master the English language, however not-strictly-necessary they may be.
>>
>>66508783
A need tae practice ma Scots 2bh laddie
>>
>>66508935
Apparently the English r was a tapped r until the Middle Ages when it switched to the modern English liquid r. Really makes you think.
>>
>>66508851
It's just an intermediate between our "unvoiced" /e/ (schwa) and our /ü/ desu, one of the easier things of Slavic languages. Much harder are distinctions between, say, pyat and payt', which arr rook arike
>>66508933
Sounds very forced when I try to do that, even after several years trying. I guess I can somewhat say "kurwa" semi-correctly but it helps that another consonant follows, inbetween two vowels though the /r/ is much more elusive to me
>>
>>66508673
Hear the difference now, thanks.
>>
>>66508971
...and our /r/ was trilled too until it became uvular thanks to French influence some time around the 18-19th century (which spread up to Denmark and even partially Norway), many dialects have preserved the velar though
>>
>>66508847
this is actually some really good advice. you make a "th" sound automatically by doing this.

now that im thinking about it, i dont really use "th" that much in my speech. i speak very quickly all the time and its one of those sounds that kind of just gets dropped and replaced with a softened version of the vowel that comes immediately after.

for example: now et im inking about it, i dont really use "th" at much in my speech. i speak very quickly all uh time and its one of ose sounds et kind of just gets dropped and replaced wi a softened version of the vowel et comes immediately after.

turns out im hagrid
>>
>>66508851
im not sure but we have same sound in turkish or little different version.but that sound easy af for native turkish speakers.
>>
>>66509038
Yeah, I don't know how to explain it further. I can do it for 5 seconds straight before teetering out.

>>66509082
Yeah, methinks the previous difficulty in tapping within consonants might have contributed to non-rhoticity in certain English and ultimately Commonwealth dialects of English.
>>
>>66508933
Ok than, I will try better. This is the weakest point of my spoken language, in written I may check it twice before sending.
>>
>>66509038
>It's just an intermediate between our "unvoiced" /e/ (schwa) and our /ü/ desu, one of the easier things of Slavic languages. Much harder are distinctions between, say, pyat and payt', which arr rook arike
You just need to smile when pronounce the soft version
>>
>>66509246
You did better there, but there were still some errors, such as "than" for "then", and you should put "language" after "written". Good work, though
>>
>>66509201
Yeah, must be a Turkic thing, Kazakh texts have shittons of ы's
>>
>>66507915
no
so I pronounce "th" as "s" or "z",bitch.
>>
>>66509411
S for the beginning of words, d for the middle, and f for the end is ideal if you can't pronounce it, tbqh
>>
>>66509296
Oh, if you mentioned this, you haven't heard me speaking, lol

Jokes aside, I much appreciate your help, you're a kind person.
>>
File: burynice.gif (435KB, 400x341px) Image search: [Google]
burynice.gif
435KB, 400x341px
this is nice threade
>>
>>66509441
We shifted all of the proto-Germanic "th" sounds to "d" here
>>
>>66509580
Yeah, a shift that didn't cross the Channel for some reason.

>>66509470
No problem.
>>
>>66509519
most language threads are good here. we all have atleast a common interest in languages. its why i like /int/
>>
>>66509441
>>66509441
>S for the beginning of words, d for the middle, and f for the end

I'd like to hear how he will pronounce Srough, alDough, and mammoF for instance.
>>
>>66509644
When sere's a will, sere's a way. And I wouldn't be surprised if "Mammof" is actual Ebonics/Cockney.
>>
>>66509692
>Ebonics
>Shizzle my nizzle

Come on, it's a some soft of illiterate black folks pidjin, no? I'm always try to avoid the influence of that kind of dialects to me.
>>
>>66510224
Yeah, it's a variant of the Southern accent spoken almost exclusively by uneducated blacks and those trying to emulate them. Good for you to avoid them in your study of the language.
>>
>>66507993

say Dedo
think of how you pronounce it with your teeth and tongue.
you will realize the first D is different from the second D.

That second D, deDo, is the same phoneme as TH in THis, THat.

The TH in THunder or THanks is just the Z of Spanish Spaniards pronounce.
>>
If you can't pronounce θ or ð you aren't white.
>>
File: 1469016529144-pol.png (133KB, 330x258px) Image search: [Google]
1469016529144-pol.png
133KB, 330x258px
>>66510224
>>66510279
U WUT
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.