[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>greenland >is full of ice >iceland >is full of volcanos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

>greenland
>is full of ice
>iceland
>is full of volcanos

WHAT DID THEY MEAN BY THIS
>>
It's like going back to my Primary School geography lesson
>>
greenland actually has culture
>>
File: greenland.jpg (156KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
greenland.jpg
156KB, 1366x768px
>this is greenland
>>
>>66386376
yes, a culture of depression and suicide
>>
File: Iceland2.jpg (337KB, 720x476px) Image search: [Google]
Iceland2.jpg
337KB, 720x476px
>>66386493
>this is iceland
>>
>>66386523
Sounds like my kind of place
>>
>>66386493
Comfy.
>>
>>66386563
There's nothing comfy about greenland.
It's just sad
>>
>>66386493

This is weird.
>>
>>66386493
its just a tiny fisher village
where does people go when they need major surgeries or important medicines?
>>
>>66387082
The other side
>>
>>66386275
>people still falling for a 1000 yo may may
>>
iceland doesn't really mean ice land

it's ísland or some shit isn't it?
>>
>>66387082
The biggest city, Godthåb, has about 20k people. If people can't be cured there, then they're flown to Denmark.
>>
>>66387236

It means island with ice.
>>
The guy who named them arrived in Iceland in winter and was freezing his balls off, he hated it there and by the summer he went to Greenland. It was green.
True story.
>>
>>66387236
>>66387288
No.
Is = ice
Land = land
The english word island doesn't exist in Nordic languages, so it's not related to that at all.
>>
>>66387353
woah, it doesn't exist?
I actually learned something from /int/ now
>>
>>66386275
Yes the vikings did a lot of nasty shit, not just the raping and the pillaging but also lying.
>>
>>66387476
>but also lying.
A marketing trick isn't lying, it's just not saying the (whole) truth. Is something else.
>>
>>66387353
>island
But this is the Germanic-rooted one of their two words, you sure have no equivalent? We have "Eiland" which is kinda outdated/poetic, but we mostly use the Latin "Insel" (<"insula"), one of the very few examples German uses preferably a Latin word in basic speech where English uses a Germanic one (most of the time it's the other way around)
>>
>>66387542
>"Eiland" which is kinda outdated
Are you calling Dutch outdated?
>>
>>66387586
Kek, you do have some old Germanic words that have pretty much fallen out of use here, like "kiezen" (in modern German would be *"kiesen", but it only continues to exist in set expressions and compund participle forms such as "auserkoren" = "chosen out (of)")
>>
>>66387542
We call it ǿ in Danish.
>>
>>66387685
Yeah, I figure you just dropped the "-land" part
>>
>>66387674
>"auserkoren" = "chosen out (of)"
We have that too "uitverkoren".
>>
>>66387772
Yeah you do compounding pretty much the same. Just funny how you dropped most of the original Germanic grammar, but we dropped more of the vocabulary
>>
File: Hoss_Delgado.png (100KB, 272x223px) Image search: [Google]
Hoss_Delgado.png
100KB, 272x223px
>>66386523
sounds good so far
>>
When Greenland was first settled it didn't have a massive ice shelf, that's been there for the past 800 years or so.
>>
>>66386563
Yeah that picture's taken during midsummer. During the winter, only a bit of low sun during the day, and very cold temps. There's a reason why the suicide rate is so high. Humans never really evolved to live in the arctic.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.