[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>there's bombs that can kill millions of people in one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: fucUIQ.jpg (411KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fucUIQ.jpg
411KB, 1920x1080px
>there's bombs that can kill millions of people in one go
>people can engineer diseases
whew lads has anyone stopped to think how horrifying that is?
>>
Oh, of course no one discussed that, especially not in the second half of the 20th century.
>>
what if this is just a dream.. realy makes u think...........................
>>
>>66231576
Engineered diseases are shitty and can't catch on even in lab conditions.
>>
>>66231576
Wow... rly makes u think huh?
>>
>>66231649
do you read the news once in a while?
>>
File: 1418428657236.jpg (118KB, 809x808px) Image search: [Google]
1418428657236.jpg
118KB, 809x808px
>>66231576
>horrifying
daily, i pray for this sweet release
>>
>>66231649
They don't even need to engineer them; the ones in nature can do a fine enough job
>>
>>66231753
They really don't.
>>
>>66231778
They really do
>>
>>66231852
oh yeah well i guess you are right then my mistake
>>
>>66231911
It's not big deal, Jimbo, just thought I'd let you know you know?
>>
>>66231753
It's not nearly good enough.
>>
File: Threadsmoviecover.jpg (20KB, 250x356px) Image search: [Google]
Threadsmoviecover.jpg
20KB, 250x356px
>>66231576
Have you ever watched Threads? I suggest you do, it's a good look into what life would be like.
>>
File: debiru.jpg (191KB, 470x595px) Image search: [Google]
debiru.jpg
191KB, 470x595px
>>66231576
Have I stopped to think about it?

Lad, the feeling is liberating. This pale blue dot. Not a meaning in the world!
>>
>>66232605
Try reading The Myth of Sisyphus
>>
>>66232665
tldr me ri now alri
>>
File: nuke2.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
nuke2.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
really makes my brain cells buzz
>>
>>66231649
Not really. They usually take an already highly effective infectious disease and modify it. It's not a game of Pandemic 2 where they build it from scratch.

Plus, it's clear from past nations (Empire of Japan) that they don't just release them. They usually test them out on subjects. Quite horrifying.

>>66231778
>>66231911
>what is the black death
>what is smallpox
>what is spanish flu
>what is AIDS
>what is MERS/SARS
>what is rabies
>>
>>66232698
No, that would ruin any good it can do you
>>
>>66232757
half of those diseases happened before we developed the germ theory of disease and the other half are irrelevant
>>
>>66232791
At least give me a reason to look into it, disclaimer I'm drunk and very close to knocking out.
>>
>>66232817
Your mum is irrelevant
>>
>>66231576
I'm more afraid of eventual artificial intelligence.
>>
>>66232817
that does not disprove anything I said, and all of them were/are relevant at one point in time.
>>
>>66232867
the point is there hasn't been any disease worth sneezing about for more than a hundred years because we understand how they work now, even the spanish flu was barely a hiccup because we were in a world war

a man made disease is the only thing that can reach truly pandemic levels on its own now. nature takes too long
>>
>>66231576
No, it's been proven in the Cold War that no one wants any clicky boom boom
>>
File: XenomorphXX121.png (864KB, 640x820px) Image search: [Google]
XenomorphXX121.png
864KB, 640x820px
>there are Xenomorphs who could kill millions of people among us RIGHT NOW
>they were engineered purely for fucking shit up

like...ugh...
>>
>>66233056
>disease worth sneezing about
AIDS? Ebola? MERS? MRSA?
Don't get too spoiled by vaccines and antibiotics. Infectious disease, namely resistant bacteria, are coming back with a vengeance.

>spanish flu was barely a hiccup because we were in a world war
Killed about the same number of people, if not more, than WW1 did. Some hypothesize it infected 75%+ of the world's population in a matter of a few years.

>a man made disease is the only thing that can reach truly pandemic levels on its own now
False, as no man made disease has ever been tested on a human scale. Also, AIDS is a pandemic, along with many influenzas. Every major, global outbreak we have ever seen has been "natural", not man-made. Obviously the activities of man expedite the spread, but that does not nullify their "natural" origins.

>nature takes too long
Most outbreaks that are happening or that have happened since the beginning of time that beg to differ.

This idea that diseases with precise, calculated nucleotide alterations are the only dangerous diseases around are bogus. They do not exist, or are in remote labs. Every disease ravaging us now, or has ravaged us, has been due to natural selection and mutation.
>>
File: image.png (411KB, 500x503px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
411KB, 500x503px
>>66231576

Well with World War III around the corner, should be quite the shit show
>>
>>66233190
**meant worldwide, not human
>>
>>66233197
will you be safe?
>>
>>66233190
mrsa is the only remotely dangerous natural born disease you have even mentioned and even that is completely tame

everything else you are saying is completely ill informed. Natural selection is no longer efficient enough to outpace human technological advancement, disease has been defeated.

you don't even need to find cures, as a society we have enough institutional intelligence to enact adequate measures of prevention.
>>
>>66232757
>what is AIDS
Not really a good example, AIDS is dependent on behavior
>>
>>66233314
>Natural selection is no longer efficient enough to outpace human technological advancement, disease has been defeated.

Now I know you're just fucking with me. If we have defeated disease, why does:
- AIDS still mutate past all vaccines
- Influenza still mutate past all vaccines
You don't really grasp what natural selection is. WHenever our tech presses hard on a disease population, natural selection comes into play. It is the thing that outpaces US, and we ALWAYS have to play catch-up to respond to it

>you don't even need to find cures, as a society we have enough institutional intelligence to enact adequate measures of prevention.
Diseases fill niches in the environment. Your plan works if humanity is absolutely perfect: no poverty, everyone washes their hands and never gets lacerations, everyone takes their antibiotics properly, etc. Disease is always out there and will always be a threat, until say, nanotech where we can eliminate bacteria at will without a chance of resistance

btw, MRSA is the least dangerous thing I listed of all those 4 diseases. run across it everyday in the hospital. the other 3 are far more deadly.

I appreciate your interest in the field, but it is too late at night to write a book about this. all I want to leave you is with this: stop under-estimating nature. stop over-estimating our technology. have a good night and stay safe
>>
>>66233474
Also I would like to add: the only disease we have EVER defeated is smallpox. All the rest were driven extinct through competiton in the environment (see flu variants in the past) or merely beaten back into animal vectors in the first world (rabies).
>>
>>66233474
Note 2: MRSA is a perfect example of how we have not defeated disease or "outpaced" natural selection. It literally stands for Methicillin-resistant staph. aureus. It is resistant because natural selection on the population beat the antibiotic. It has outpaced us and is spreading like wildfire
>>
>>66233474
MRSA is the worst because it affects our ability to treat all other sicknesses and injuries and we have no means of treating or preventing MRSA. Everything else you are saying is complete nonesense. It is not anyone's goal to achieve 100% effective prevention of every disease and if it's only killing poor people literally nobody cares.

Even if we were to have some kind of super bug that killed 1 out of every 2 people in the whole world it would still be largely isolated within poor, unimportant groups of people and only reduce the human population to post world war levels, which would be a good thing.

Humanity has reached a point where it does not have to worry about natural disease wiping it out. Anything that evolves and spreads naturally that somehow slips through our prevention methods still has to work its way through 7+ billion people.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.