[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Words English lacks There is a word in Russian нaдoecть/нaдoeдaть

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

File: S5dxEF5-TSA.jpg (147KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
S5dxEF5-TSA.jpg
147KB, 1000x666px
ITT: Words English lacks
There is a word in Russian нaдoecть/нaдoeдaть
nadoyest/nadoyedat which means 'to make not to want to continue'.
For example, you try to explain something to an idiot but he cant understand because he is stupid. And you say
Talking with you nadoyested me (I dont want to talk to you anymore)
It annoyes/enrages/bores you, but it is more general term
>>
Also, I've found this on wiktionary https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fantastika
It is a shorter way to say speculative fiction. Is it a nonce word or a new borrowing?
>>
We call it "teaching a pig to sing".
>>
>>66166035

>Vahingonilo

It means that you are happy for someone else's misfortune, it's quite close to gloating, but there is no English term per se so they use the German word schadenfreude.

>Kalsarikänni

It's means to drink alone in your home, literally translated it would be like underwear drunkedness

>Myötähäpeä

It's when you are ashamed for someone else's behavior, for example when you watch some shitty reality-tv series you might feel this way.

>Suojakänni

It means to drink a couple of drink during the day before starting to binge drink so that you won't be totally hammered in the evening. It literally means like protective drunkedness.

There are probably quite a lot of others as well.
>>
Almost no word can be translated to other languages literally. But still, every blind faggot thinks that his native language is so unique.
>>
>>66166294
God knows I love Finland.
>>
>>66166294
>It means that you are happy for someone else's misfortune
Злopaдcтвo/zloradstvo, literally evil-gladness.

>when you are ashamed for someone else's behavior
"Spainish shame", and holy shit I hate this feel.
>>
>>66166499
>when you are ashamed for someone else's behavior
aнглийcкий "cringe" вeдь тo жe caмoe oзнaчaeт?
>>
>>66166294
>there is no English term per se so they use the German word schadenfreude.
Its called borrowing
>It's when you are ashamed for someone else's behavior, for example when you watch some shitty reality-tv series you might feel this way.
Shit, we need such a word too.
>>
>>66166541
google translate says no, but i dont know
>>
>>66166541
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/cringe
Oxford english dictionary тaк нe дyмaeт, нo я eгo вcтpeчaл в пoхoжeм кoнтeкcтe.
>>
>>66166541

Yeah, I guess it can mean at least almost the same thing, "your actions made me cringe", so like cringe-making. The difference is in grammar as well, can't remember what the grammar terms are but in Finnish you can say "vittu mikä myötähäpeä" which would literally turn into "fuck what cringe/cringe-making" and it doesn't work like that in English.

My explanation is probably quite shitty but I never was interested in the names of the grammar rules/word forms etc...
>>
There is a Russian word, which I've forgotten, which literally means "to fuck with youthful vigor" or something. Explicitly saying you are fucking with the energy of a young man.
>>
>>66166499
>Злopaдcтвo

Do you say it like злopaдcтвa или злapaдcтвa или злopaдcтвo?
>>
>>66166953
Hmm, what is this word?
>>
>>66167195
[zlɐˈrat͡stvə]
>>
>>66167195
>злapaдcтвa
Like this, but it`s not pure 'a' sound, reduction takes place.
>>
>>66167322

But isn't Злo alone just Злo?
>>
>>66167426
Yup. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_(linguistics)
>>
>>66167203
I don't know. I've forgotten. But there was a Google translation for it.
>>
>>66166035
>nag, poll, displeasure, irritate, rile
>>
>>66166342
Gezellig
>>
>>66167632
Its a more general term, those are more narrow
>>
File: 1377460769806.jpg (35KB, 476x579px) Image search: [Google]
1377460769806.jpg
35KB, 476x579px
>you will never have cool obscure foreign words in your language that express extremely nuanced concepts that cannot be translated with full meaning
I didn't ask for this.
>>
>>66166035
you mean being fed up?
>>
>>66167540

Yeah, I know it's because of stressing, it's just so hard to know when which part of the word you should stress, in Finnish it is easy as the stressing is always on the first syllable, but with Russian and other Slavic languages this isn't sadly the case.
>>
>>66167824
Fed up is syt po gorlo
>>
>>66167694
Who said you they're more narrow? How can you know they have no that very connotation you mean?
>>
>>66166294
huutista ja myötistä :D
>>
>>66168133
Because nadoyest means to make not to want to continue, irritate annoy or bore are narrower
>>
>>66169003
And? It means English has several words for this one
>>
>Dépaysement
It's the feeling of not being at home, in a foreign or different place
>>
>>66167794

Talk like this and fool everybody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o_DNLICKok
>>
>>66167794
English has this but you don't know about it. There are a lot of concepts unique to English. Words like insight, to peck, entrepreneur and vicarious don't have exact translations in most languages.
>>
>>66166035
You think we don't have the word "futile"?
>>
Probably the most common examples from Spanish are that in this language there are two different levels of love (Amar and querer) and two ways of being (ser and estar), and I think the same happens with other romance languages.
>>
>>66166294
We have Schadenfreude for 'Vahingonilo'
>>
>>66171409
thats german word
>>
>>66171467
English is a Germanic language.

Actually it doesn't matter, English will take it anyway.
>>
>>66171524
>English is a Germanic language.

English is a simplified German after it was raped by French.
>>
File: image.jpg (321KB, 1654x699px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
321KB, 1654x699px
>>66171802
English used to be so beautiful.
>>
>>66171467
English borrowed it. Doctor is a latin word for example
>>
>>66171241
>Spanish are that in this language there are two different levels of love (Amar and querer) and two ways of being (ser and estar)
What's the difference between them?
>>
Too many to list

English is so inexpressive it is annoying

>b-but your vocabulary is bad
No, we have already debunked that in about 20 threads. You need long and winding sentences to convey something us Europeans can in two words
>>
>>66170405
good one
>>
>>66170405
That's Heimweh here.
>>
>>66166294
>Vahingonilo
Schadenfreunde

>Kalsarikänni
Non :(

>Myötähäpeä
Fremdschämen

>Suojakänni
We have Vorglühen. That is about getting already a little drunk before you go out getting drunk

Kummerspeck
Your fatness that you earnt through comfort-food you disgusting fat pig.

Fernweh:
It's the sadness for not being somewhere far away

Heimweh: It's the sadness being somewhere far away insteed of home

Der innere Schweinehund (the inner pigdog)
This is an metaphor for your lazyness.
You have to beat your laziness everyday, you have to destroy the Schweinehund to reach a higher form of existence. Hard work and a daily routine are the best ways to hold the upper hand over the Schweinehund. If the Schweinehund wins you will die.
>>
>>66172266
We can just steal these words, especially the Germanic ones.

>>66172861
Thanks for the loan words
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-03-11-19h48m30s246.png (230KB, 444x444px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-03-11-19h48m30s246.png
230KB, 444x444px
>>66166294
>Kalsarikänni
>It's means to drink alone in your home, literally translated it would be like underwear drunkedness
>Finnish flag
>>
>Lebensmüde
The trait of someone that is doing something very risky

>Ohrwurm
A song that doesn't leaves your brain-

Erklärungsnot
When you can't explain yourself anymore (for example after you cheated on your wife and she found it out and asks you if you are cheating on her because she is dumb like all women)
>>
>doch
counter argument to >no

pronounced like "loch ness"
>>
>Sturmfrei
When your parents aren't at home.

>Dreikäsehoch (three cheese high)
A child that behaves like it knows something

>Wanderlust
The desire to travel

>Pantoffelheld
A beta faggot that acts like an alpha faggot

>Zugzwang
Being forced to make a decision

>Bringschuld
The position of having to justify you
>>
>Inselaffe (island monkey)
A british person
>>
>>66170405
Homesick?
>>
>>66173318
>A beta faggot that acts like an alpha faggot
???
>Being forced to make a decision
I hate that shit
>>
>>66173717
Pantoffelheld (house shoe hero)
It describes a Dude h´who acts tough in front of his friends but obeys his wife at home.
>>
File: doctor.jpg (6KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
doctor.jpg
6KB, 280x180px
>>66172144
>Doctor is a latin word for example
>>
>>66172861
>Der innere Schweinehund (the inner pigdog)
Isn't that the lizard brain?

It wins every time.
>>
File: 6542748.gif (393KB, 490x270px) Image search: [Google]
6542748.gif
393KB, 490x270px
>>66173044
LITERALLY DOING IT RIGHT NOW

WROTE AN ESSAY WHILE DRUNK
gotta spell check it tomorrow desu
>>
Curvăsăraie.
The best translation I can think of is "Whoredom" and it's used for when women are chimping out in a localized area. There's also țigănie, which means gypsydom and it's used for when people are arguing loudly and rudely.
>>
>>66174391
Do you have a word for a woman that is used for sex by everyone?

We have Dorfmatraze.
>>
>>66166294
how is schadenfreude different than glee?
>>
>>66174608
Glee is just general happiness, it doesn't necessarily require someone else's misfortune. A closer word to schadenfreude would be sadism.
>>
>>66173318
>>Wanderlust
>The desire to travel
We use wanderlust though. Wander and lust are both english words.
>>
>>66174496
What, like a "town bycicle" or "practice girl"?

I don't think so. We just use the words curvă, târfă and parașută for the word "whore", with the former being more severe and latter being less severe and we call women who everyone sleep with "curva satului", meaning "the village's whore".
>>
>>66174798
>curva satului

This comes close. Dortmatraze is the "village's matress"
>>
>>66166035
We distinguish between two different meanings of the word "to lose".

>Пpoигpaть - Proigrátʹ.
To lose a game, antonym: to win

>Пoтepять - Poterjátʹ
To lose an object, antonym: to find
>>
>>66166035
There are words that I've found myself wanting in english. I don't speak any other languages, so I've only came upon these desired words when I've found myself only able to describe something with a sentence.

The only one I can remember, is a word for a mother that creates spoiled brats. Implied negativity, almost slur-like.

I really should start writing my desired words down somewhere.
>>
>>66175145
Me too. I write down such concepts and also English words with no Russian counterparts. I hope someday I will create words for these
>>
>>66166182
So have any of you encountered the word fantastika instead of speculative fiction?
>>
>>66166035
Discourage maybe?
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.