[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't more people in Ireland and Scotland learning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (112KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
112KB, 1920x1080px
Why aren't more people in Ireland and Scotland learning their actual languages?
>>
We learn it in school.
>>
>in b4 it's the government's fault for not teaching it properly
It's because they are lazy and have insufficient nationalist feeling to do what needs to be done.
>>
>>66090645
Scotland has always spoken english, actually.
>>
>>66090645
Lots of Irish threads today
>>
>>66092158
a bit too many if you ask me
>>
>>66090645
Cucked by England
>>
>>66092225
Rude
>>66092253
t. Cucked by Syria
>>
File: 1476029109625.png (3MB, 1440x960px)
1476029109625.png
3MB, 1440x960px
>tfw Irish language will still somehow outlive most of the major ethnicities in Europe
>>
>>66090645
Their languages were almost dead before nationalism became a thing.
English is as much their language as Irish and Scottish Gaelic.
>>
>>66092483
You are literally occupied by them and they forced their policies on you. You have no permission to speak super cuck.
>>
>>66092725
holy shit that flag....is this the first time it's ever been seen on 4chan?
>>
File: 1472725659471.png (382KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1472725659471.png
382KB, 600x600px
>>66092730
Difference is we fought wars against it, and you willingly invite them in
>>
>>66092849
Are you new here ?
>>
>>66092864
And lost miserably. Also even though they came to use they cannot enforce their way like the English did.
>>
>>66092849
is this your first time on 4chan?
>>
>>66092890
yes
>>
>>66092725
That is false, Irish was likely the majority language during the 1798 rebellion for example.
>>
Northern Irish Protestant Unionist here, I've actually tried learning Irish, I'd love to actually do it but it's a very difficult language to learn, grammar is hard to comprehend, there are so many pronunciation rules and silent letters it becomes almost like a chore. To a native English speaker it can appear unwieldy and incomprehensible, what you hear looks nothing like what you read often. It's also only taught (badly) in very few schools up here in the north, so unless you're in a majority catholic nationalist area, go to a catholic nationalist school and you know people who speak it fluently, chances are you'll just stick with English. Not to mention schools can really put people off learning things.

TL;DR It's hard, not enough support, pressure or reason for young people to learn. At least in Northern Ireland. South has no excuse.
>>
why would you want to?

speaking a language other than english is pretty much pointless.
>>
>>66090645
English has been spoken in Ireland for a 1000 years. How about we just rename English to Irish since England is now Pakistan?
>>
>>66093084
Maybe it was spoken in Dublin but Dublin people are not Irish. Most of the English dialects in Ireland don't have a long history, generally being introduced in the modern era. ~400-300 years ago.
>>
Why would you want to speak Irish? They had no worthwhile empires and conquered no one. Its like learning some native South American language.

English makes far more sense
>>
>>66092725
Irish remained pretty much the dominant language here until post-famine when families encouraged their children to learn English instead so that they could work - many Irish people who went to New York and Boston couldn't speak English but instead spoke Irish which made finding any sort of job difficult. Especially when you consider the massive ghettos Irish people made where Gaelic was still the spoken language in day to day life.

>>66092950
>they cannot enforce their way like the English did.
That's because they don't have to force it, your police willingly cover it up, you fucking subhuman shit. God I look forward to seeing Germany commit suicide. It's about time the Gaels came to lead the peoples of Europe.
>>
>>66092987
>I'd love to actually do it but it's a very difficult language to learn
Not very, that yank comedian went from completely incompetent to quasi-fluent within a matter of months (watch "in the name of the fada").
>grammar is hard to comprehend
The basics aren't, and there's only 11 irregular verbs so the rules are more consistent than English
>so many pronunciation rules and silent letters it becomes almost like a chore
I've done a rough guide before, I'll include it in the picture attachment. Sure it looks like a lot to take in, but you can learn it off within a few hours and the pronunciation generally stays very consistent (much more than in English, again), with only some minor dialectal differences.
>>
>>66093603
Do these long vowels significantly change meaning of words, like in Japanese or in Hungarian?
>>
>>66090645
Because in most of Scotland our language was Scots which is pretty much just English with an accent.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.