[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"dutch and the scandinavian languages will die out because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7

File: 1463076322752.jpg (24KB, 335x217px) Image search: [Google]
1463076322752.jpg
24KB, 335x217px
>"dutch and the scandinavian languages will die out because of english influence"

do people really believe this?
>>
>>65877206
not at all
you'll speak arabic in few decades
>>
nope but i have known they can speak english fluently
>>
>>65877206
Scandinavians will certainly lose their original languages soon.
For dutch I don't know, you are in main Europe and quite powerful
>>
>>65877206
When you know Scandinavian people sing in English, think in English and have conversations about certain topics in English... you know it's only a matter of time before English replaces their native tongue at school ("it's better for us in this economy!").

From this point it will only be a matter of time before their language is wiped out like Pennsylvanian Dutch or Navajo.
>>
>>65877493
>When you know Scandinavian people sing in English, think in English and have conversations about certain topics in English...

You're full of shit man
>>
>>65877206
>tfw unironically talk more english with my swedish friends that actual swedish
hmm
>>
>>65877493
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>65877578
AN INCREASING NUMBER OF INDIVIDUALS AMONG THE SCANDINAVIAN PEOPLES*

Better like that? And don't deny the trend.
>>
>>65877206
Most Scandinavians speak better English than Americans. Scandinavian languages will all disappear, maybe in my lifetime. Even without the massive immigration (immigrants often favor English and American trash culture like rap), languages like Swedish had no future.
>>
>>65877698
you are memeing right?

why would a sane person do that?
>>
>>65877905
because we spend most of our time infront of the computer
>>
File: 1455732681648.jpg (36KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1455732681648.jpg
36KB, 800x800px
Danish will be preserved.

Kamelåså.
>>
>>65877965
so? what does that have to do with which language you speak?
>>
>>65877979
Kamelåså.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBAuxgnUzIo
>>
>>65878072
>play video games which are 99% in english
hmm i wonder why
>>
>>65877708
>popular Swedish songs
>all in English
>basically no more pure Swedish culture

>Swedes getting their information on popular topics from English-speaking websites
>they subsequently think about these topics in English exclusively
>they even discuss about it between them in English (because they don't even know the right words in Swedish), as shown by >>65877698

It's not the whole population but it exists and it will only grow bigger.

>I even heard there are debates in Sweden about teaching in English only (in schools)

I say "Swedes" as an example, but it's true for every population that's exposed to American media, even for the native UAE population for example (where Arabic is increasingly being replaced by English among the younger generation--also true for French expats in the UAE whose children learn to read in English and basically become little Americans, while never having visited USA once).

End of rant.
>>
>>65877206
About as much as people believe that the "th" sound will die out in English due to multi-culti.
>>
>>65877979
desværre
>>
>>65878123
but what does that have to do with which language you speak with your swedish friends?

b.t.w. most games have translations
>>
An American tourist can visit Sweden, and they will never run into any serious language barriers, ever. Only the lowest immigrants and manual laborers do not speak fluent English. It's virtually impossible to be out of earshot of a fluent English speaker in countries like Sweden and Norway. The writing is on the wall for their native languages.
>>
>>65877698

Please delete this
>>
>>65877979
"Jeg har endelig fået en education i STEM fields som er vigtig for at jeg skal få progress i livet"

Could easily be a sentence said in a talkshow.
>>
>>65878261
i dont know we just do it, maybe because we are mostly introvert fags
>>
>>65877206
It won't happen very soon, but it is inevitable. Globalization is a hell of a drug.
>>
Even Latin died, why do you think ugly German and snow languages are any different?

Every generation that relies less on their native language, passes it less to their kids, etc.. eventually they stop learning and it becomes a novelty like in Ireland.
>>
>>65878357

Post vocaroo
>>
>>65878306
>american't comprehend bilingualism

people being fluent in one language doesn't mean they can't speak another.
>>
>English wipes out most other languages
>English then breaks up into many languages, once again creating more diversity
Like Latin, pretty much.
>>
>>65878581
that was pre-globalization and internet though

we're all bantering people all over the planet now
>>
>>65878412
You're being willfully obtuse, for whatever reason. Swedish will go the way of Gaelic, for the same reasons. Dutch will linger longer (if that makes you feel better), since it has many more speakers.
>>
english is better anyway 2bqh
>>
>>65878700
True, but there are still regional differences in English, though whether they'll ever split up or even somehow merge is up for debate.
>>
That's exactly what the jews want.
One language
One country
One people
And of course, the language from the Eternal Anlgo was chosen.
>>
>>65878383
Globalisation will stall eventually when automatisation makes movement of people less important then movement of goods and machienes.
But until then a lot of cultures will fall under the sickle. Albeit cosmopolitian culture may spawn a lot of cults and subcultures that may retain their own languages and tongues, be it ghettospeak, ethnic faiths using aramaic and the like or the descendants of today far right developing clannish structures in the vast cities and seal their deals and business in rare oldworld languages.
>>
>>65878412
Yet there isn't enough room in your thoughts for several languages. You don't think in several languages simultaneously. And the current trend makes me believe that Scandis will think in English only, in a not-so-distant future. There, their native tongue will slowly become obsolete and useless.

They are too small, too isolated, and too fascinated by English-American media to resist.

Dutchies are less isolated, so they may resist for a longer time--but your language should get crushed at some point too.

The hard thing for globalism will be to crush languages with 100m+ speakers like French, Spanish or German.
>>
>>65878392

But why would anyone stop talking their native language to their children? No one talks english to eachother in real life.

>>65878932

>And the current trend makes me believe that Scandis will think in English only

where do you get this idea that they think and talk in english?

i want sources
>>
File: 1473587009102.jpg (7KB, 243x250px) Image search: [Google]
1473587009102.jpg
7KB, 243x250px
>>65877493
t. french pro
>>
>>65878921
When automation will become big, I think technology will also enable real-time (spoken) translation from any language to any other language, in the next 20 or 30 years.

If this happens, English may become totally useless for most people.

How ironic, if American technology saves us from the domination of American language.
>>
>>65879022
>i want sources

Literally the Swedish Anon who posted ITT. And many other Scandi Anons who made similar points in many other threads.

>>65879096
Say it in Swedish.
>>
>>65879177
It'll still always be useful for funposting on a Cambodian Sempaphore-repetition board.
>>
>>65879177
sounds like a crazy race

hopefully technology wins because a monolingual species would be boring
>>
>>65879266

>>65879528
>>65879523
>>65879485
>>
>tfw young people in your country constantly shit on their language and claim that english is better for expressing certain concepts
>tfw young people in your country say that they think in english
>tfw movies from other scandi countries get english names when they air in your country
>tfw yuppies in your country constantly pry needless english into your language
>tfw you can't remember the last time your country had an eurovision entry in your language
fuck, redpilled people tell me to be wary about arab culture taking over, but all I see everywhere is anglo culture
>>
>>65879723
is this really true? people still speak swedish in public right? the anglo worship thing is mostly a fase right?
>>
File: 1471057002168.jpg (102KB, 514x658px) Image search: [Google]
1471057002168.jpg
102KB, 514x658px
>>65879266
>I get my sources from /int/
>>
>>65878131
>popular Swedish songs
>all in English

Only sellouts who want to make it big internationally sing in english, the rest sing in swedish. I don't listen to any swedish artist who sings in english.

As for >>65877698

Simply does not happen, unless there is another person who doesn't speak swedish. At most we use some english words that are used in said game, but the conversation would still be 95% swedish.
>>
>65878131
>popular Swedish songs
>all in English

that's so non-Swedish speakers can understand it and it can sell more

>Swedes getting their information on popular topics from English-speaking websites

why do you assume this? have you ever been in Sweden or do you think autists on /int/ are an accurate representation of their country?

>they subsequently think about these topics in English exclusively

again, why do you assume this? can you read minds?

>they even discuss about it between them in English (because they don't even know the right words in Swedish), as shown by >>65877698
last time I looked at /sverigetråden/ they are speaking Swedish. And I really hope you don't think that some random Swedish autist (who says friends, but probably means internet '''''''friends''''''''.) is an accurate representation for Swedish people

>I say "Swedes" as an example, but it's true for every population that's exposed to American media, even for the native UAE population for example (where Arabic is increasingly being replaced by English among the younger generation--also true for French expats in the UAE whose children learn to read in English and basically become little Americans, while never having visited USA once).

what I said for Swedish people is also true for Dutch and the rest of the Scandinavian languages. Arabic is probably being "replaced" with English because it isn't using the Roman alphabet and it is easier to just use English. And why would the children of expats not learn English?
>they are basically becoming little americans
what do you mean by this? they should learn English so they have the ability to communicate with people that don't speak French, shouldn't they?
>>
>>65878131
I am sad to say I think this is pretty accurate. I might be projecting because this is exactly what happened to me, personally, but in my everyday live I just see so many people just casually expressing themselves in angicisms that I am truthfully more than a little bit fearful for the survival of my language.
>>
>>65880238
>>65878131
>>
>>65879723
>young people in your country constantly shit on their language and claim that english is better for expressing certain concepts
Certain concepts ARE easier to explain in English. Especially stuff relating to IT and other rapidly developing fields where Swedish hasn't caught up yet. It's not really a problem though.

>people in your country say that they think in english
Most of them are lying.

>movies from other scandi countries get english names when they air in your country
Sad if that is the case, can you name one?

>yuppies in your country constantly pry needless english into your language
Just like they did with French and German. It can be safely ignored.

>you can't remember the last time your country had an eurovision entry in your language
Because we're trying to win. It has nothing to do with the survival of our language.

Swedish is an will remain the absolute majority language in Sweden for the foreseeable future. English might be very prevalent, but it's not a problem as of right now.
>>
>>65877291
Underrated first post.
>>
>>65880320
>Just like they did with French and German.

this

Dutch and the scandinavian languages have always been dominated by their neighbours

most dutch people have historically spoken german

most dutch people have historically spoken french

it has at times been fashionable to use expressions loanwords from Latin German or French, yet we still speak Dutch here.
>>
>>65880083
They do speak Swedish in public, even though they throw in a lot of English words.

However, when you overhear conversaions among youth, it's pretty common to hear them drop entire sentences in English, or sometimes speak in English altogether. Generally, video game nerds and weebs tend to worst in this regard, but yuppies businessmen come pretty close.

Still, all of the greentext is 100% serious.

Additionally, I've heard some people talk about removing all scandi specific diacritics (umlauts, Å-ring) because youth in the capital have stopped pronouncing them. I'm not sure about the details since I don't live there, but I've heard talk about it.
>>
>>65879723
Thanks for saying the truth. Arab culture and Anglo culture taking over are the two faces of the same horrible globalist coin--it's the same thing here. (Ali Bin Kebab + Ronald Mac Donald, objective allies in the struggle against native European cultures.)

Also, here in France, in this country that's supposedly not as cucked as Sweden, we leave their English title to most American movies, and we give English titles to non-American ones (the Austrian film "Ich seh ich seh" became "Goodnight Mommy" in France, etc.).

Sometimes we even rename American movies with another English title to dumb it down: "The Hangover" became "Very Bad Trip" in France, because what the fuck is a hangover???

>>65879405
But your shitposts will be translated automatically in French for me. And I'll post directly in French, which will be translated in your native Spanish for you, etc.

>>65879657
>>65879485
>he's fucking retarded since you can easily think in multiple languages at pretty much the same time

lol
>>
>>65880320
>Sad if that is the case, can you name one?
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Royal_Affair
>>
>>65877206
Scandinavians are in the unfortunate position of having languages that are grammatically and syntactically very, very close to English, as well as small, wealthy populations where the vast majority speak English.

Will the languages ever die out? No, not in the near future. Will they slowly become more likely English over the centuries? Probably.
>>
>>65877206
I really enjoy learning languages and can speak several conversationally, but I have to wonder if there's a point to it in the 21st century. It seems like it only makes it harder on non-native English speakers to teach them their native language first and then have to learn the much more practical and global language English as a second language.

Maybe we should all agree on a neutral, artificial language like Lojban or Esperanto and teach all our kids that as their first language. In a generation there won't be these barriers to non-native speakers. I get "muh culture" and all that but I'd be willing to give up English as my children's first language if I thought it would benefit them.
>>
>>65880579
Even after hundreds of years of german and french influences the majority of our vocabulary is either native or norse in origin. Of course there's in influx of English loan words right now, but people itt vastly overestimate the impact it will have on the language.
>>
>>65880715
It'd be cool to bring back Latin but non-Euros probably wouldn't be as open to that as a neutral artificial language. It'll never happen either way, if anything it's going to be English. Anything else is just impractical, English has been the de facto international language for too long and even many non-native speakers would likely be against it since they'd have to start from scratch after so many years of English.
>>
File: img.jpg (201KB, 1280x722px) Image search: [Google]
img.jpg
201KB, 1280x722px
>>65877206
Retards do

I never speak or think in english, vilket är bra för engelska är ett tråkigt språk.
>>
>>65880185
>>65880238
>only sellouts sing in English
>it's only to sell more!!

Then... when I'm watching a Swedish talent show, why are 99% of songs in English (especially during the auditions)? These young people, who didn't sell a single record before appearing on TV, do sing and compose songs in English for their own enjoyment.

>>65880238
>why do you assume this?
Because Scandi people told me so?

>why would the children of expats not learn English?
These baby expats know English, but at the detriment of their mother tongue. They can't even read in the language used by their mother.

And what you don't seem to understand is that they don't "learn" English (like you "learn" a foreign language to communicate with new people, etc.). English is kind of like a mother tongue to them: it's the basic language used by schools, nannies, malls, friends, media, etc.

Thus, they become little Americans because they are exposed to American media (and nothing else), think in American English since the age or 2 or 3 (and nothing else), etc. It's not a fair coexistence between several interesting language. It's American English dominating and killing everything, and then they have to switch to whatever gobbledygook (French? Arabic? lol) your mother is talking at home to communicate with her.

>>65880172
I get my sources from what actual Scandinavian people say, indeed.

If it weren't an interesting source, why are you asking here?
>>
>>65880936
>Even after hundreds of years of german and french influences the majority of our vocabulary is either native or norse in origin. Of course there's in influx of English loan words right now, but people itt vastly overestimate the impact it will have on the language.
People vastly overestimate the effect when they claim that the Scandinavian languages will die out, but languages evolve through contact with other languages. Influences from one language tend to creep into another, especially when you're bilingual and use both on a daily basis. Swedish has far fewer speakers compared to English, and native anglophones are generally not bilingual in Swedish (unlike vice-versa) so the influence gets a bit one-sided.

English and the Scandinavian languages were once very similar. As late as the 11th and 12th centuries, English fishermen on the southeastern coast spoke a mutually intelligible dialect of Old English with Danish fishermen in Denmark. It's a slow process compared to how long our lives are, but change is always happening.
>>
>>65877206
I don't.
It's just a meme Anglo speakers masturbate to.
>>
>>65880320
>Most of them are lying
Probably not. Even I think in English sometimes--while I am sincerely against globalisation and the programmed disapperance of my native tongue. Just reading the Financial Times one hour every day is infectious, I can see French words being replaced one by one in my mind (today, semi-advanced words like "bunkum" or "lackadaisical" come more easily to me than the numerous French equivalents I know).

And I'm not even exposed to American media like Swedes are: I only watch dubbed movies, etc.

>Because we're trying to win
And soon you'll have Swedish replaced by English in schools, "because you're trying to win" economically. Do you think it's crazy? But it was the choice made eons ago in Singapore. Now they're unable to speak proper Mandarin (which is considered a language "for old people"), and they do most things in English only.
>>
>>65881314

>only sellouts sing in English
>it's only to sell more!!

>Then... when I'm watching a Swedish talent show, why are 99% of songs in English (especially during the auditions)? These young people, who didn't sell a single record before appearing on TV, do sing and compose songs in English for their own enjoyment.

Because it's a pop talent show you retard, most people on Idol all across Europe sing in english because they want to get famous. Talent shows do not represent swedish music culture in any way, it's just cucking for anglos.

Here are some famous swedish songs for you if you'd like to listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJaFgeLTYgY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5dS5SPh4kY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv759wmsSFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGw9AMXhUrU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Xu6NVpIbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71PrWLvO7Z8
>>
>>65881314
>Then... when I'm watching a Swedish talent show, why are 99% of songs in English (especially during the auditions)? These young people, who didn't sell a single record before appearing on TV, do sing and compose songs in English for their own enjoyment.

>be me
>be young swede
>enter talent show because i want to win and get that money/record deal
>sing good popular songs

that's usually how they go. I really doubt you actually watched any Swedish talent shows (watching those 10 clips on youtube doesn't count Pierre) and I doubt more that there were a lot of them who actually wrote their own songs, but I'll bite.

If they have actually written their own song I really doubt they did it for the talent show, they probably started by thinking they would put it on Youtube, bandcamp, soundcloud and try to contact some record lables. And if they put it on the internet they want to cater to as many people as they can, therefore writing their song in English.

when they go on the talent show with the song they have written it's because that is an easy chance to skip years of attempting to get known on the internet by being featured on nation-wide television which will get them some easy publicity. (if they manage to get past the first couple of stages, but better than years of nothing.)

hope it makes some sense
>>
>>65881496
I'm not denying that Swedish is influenced by English. That's how languages evolve, as you say. Swedish has been very influenced by German for instance. But it's still substantially different from German. The Germans traders founded Stockholm for god sake.

In the same way English might influence Swedish but it will never become the same. Besides, it's not necessarily a bad thing for language to become more or less like another. There's really no good or bad involved in the evolution of language, it just happens.

>>65881931
>And soon you'll have Swedish replaced by English in schools
That is literally as ludicrous as thinking the same would happen in France. Seriously, it's never ever going to happen.

I get that it's hard to believe for someone living in a country with so much people but Swedish is very well rooted in Sweden. Even among immigrants. And don't compare Sweden to a city that has been continually cucked for decades.

>Even I think in English sometimes
The frequency matters. If it's just every now and then it literally doesn't matter one fucking bit. Ironically, the more English I've learned the more strongly I feel about using "pure" Swedish.
>>
>>65881496
>As late as the 11th and 12th centuries, English fishermen on the southeastern coast spoke a mutually intelligible dialect of Old English with Danish fishermen in Denmark

can you back this up?

from what I know, the western germanic and Northern germanic dialect continuums broke off during the 7th century.

perhaps you are refering to the fact that danish dialects were spoken in these areas during that time, which is true, but that is not the same as english and danish sharing a continuum.
>>
We have Dutch speakers in the Netherlands, Belgium, Suriname, thee other Caribbean islands, Indonesia, South-Africa and Namibia. Our language won't die out.
>>
>>65877578
I find myself "thinking in English" more often than Finnish.
Especially when I have those autistic arguments or pretend conversations inside my head the languages is typically English.
>>
I don't think they will die out. We have a lot of french loan words for example that have made it's way into our language that many people may not know about. So I think Some english words will become swedish:fied and jsut make it's way into the swedish language. So it becomes a kind of loan words but still a swedish word
>>
>>65878261
>b.t.w. most games have translations
and literally nobody uses those. maybe people from degenerate countries where movies are dubbed too.
>>65878261
why would you limit the people you interact with to your countrymen when you spend most of your time on the internet?
>>
>>65882466
But I do hate when the video game / pc nerds use like 10% English when they talk. Sounds so lame, seriously.
>>
>>65882358
>South Africa
>Namibia
Afrikaans isn't Dutch
>Indonesia
Afaik almost no one speaks Dutch there
>Suriname and Caribbean islands
Most don't speak Dutch natively
>>
>>65882533
I know some people do it to sound cool but as someone working with software development I can tell you 90% of the time it's because it's simply easier and less confusing to use the English terms.
Even in a 100% Finnish workplace you're working on a computer with English windows/linux, using software that's in English to create products that follow the rules of an environment or "language" built on English. Translating the terminology back and worth would just make everyone's lives more difficult. You both know the action you're describing by its English name so just use that.
>>
>>65877291
Fpbp
>>
>>65882749
I know, I they are used in my work place too. I am talking more about "gamers".
>>
>>65882351
>from what I know, the western germanic and Northern germanic dialect continuums broke off during the 7th century.
I don't dispute this, but Old English remained closer to Old Norse

We call English a West Germanic language and group it in with German and Dutch, etc. for good reasons, but in terms of grammar and syntax, it's closer to the North Germanic languages than the other West Germanic ones (some scholars even argue that English is a Scandinavian language). The dialects of OE along the eastern coasts of the UK in particular remained mutually intelligible with the Scandinavian languages long after the 7th century, although mutual intelligibility had almost completely broken down not too much longer after the Norman Invasion.

I was looking for my source, but it was in one of my textbooks and I can't find where I pulled it from before. I'll post it once I find it.
>>
File: 800px-Old_norse,_ca_900.png (158KB, 800x589px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Old_norse,_ca_900.png
158KB, 800x589px
>>65883011
>We call English a West Germanic language and group it in with German and Dutch, etc. for good reasons, but in terms of grammar and syntax, it's closer to the North Germanic languages than the other West Germanic ones

I definitely agree.

>The dialects of OE along the eastern coasts of the UK in particular remained mutually intelligible with the Scandinavian languages long after the 7th century

But i don't agree with your wording here. I wouldn't say those dialects *remained* mutually intelligible, I would rather say that they got >DANE'D hard by the danish invaders who kept speaking danish. Keep in mind that Anglo-Saxon/its predecessors was already distinct split off from norse/what would become norse way before 1 AD
>>
>>65882952
well it's probably the same thing more or less. the game features are in english so it's just simpler to use those names
>>
The death of languages is inevitable, and it's not bad either. However, a monolingual specie would not be good. I expect only 20-50 languages to be spoken in the future; languages with less than 5 millions or so speakers will go extinct.

If you take all the native speakers of the world's 100 most spoken languages, right now in 2016, you probably have close to 90% of the world's population.
>>
>>65877206
It's not a meme
>>
File: 1458340022424.jpg (77KB, 563x721px) Image search: [Google]
1458340022424.jpg
77KB, 563x721px
>>65883364
>I would rather say that they got >DANE'D hard by the danish invaders who kept speaking danish
Nothing but Danish lies, also delete this post.
>>
>>65877206
>"dutch and the scandinavian languages will die out because of EU influence"

Fixed that for you.
>>
>>65879723
Alt right guys have subverted the redpill
>>
>>65880172
/int/ is actually a great source.
I learn something new everyday third day about how people think in alien cultures : )
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.