[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about class culture in Britain How prevalent is it? Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: 1aaaaaaaaa-8.jpg (91KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1aaaaaaaaa-8.jpg
91KB, 1920x1200px
Tell me about class culture in Britain
How prevalent is it?
Is it common to change your class or do most people stick to their social class?
How often do you have cross-class friendships or relationships?
>>
Here is your answer about class system of UK, France and India.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEEQhG_Qw8Y
>>
>>65781451
why do Frogs naturally assume everybody speaks their language?
>>
It's extremely prevalent. Britain is a very divided country, people from working class families and middle class families rarely mix.
>>
>>65781810
what about your media?
is class mixing common in movies and tv shows?
>>
>>65781995
I don't think it is, really. Then again, I don't watch much TV.
>>
>>65781381
class culture boils down to the lower classes being jealous of the upper ones. and the middle classes demonising the lower classes at the same time, whilst also trying to pretend to be of the lower classes
>>
>>65781995

Working families will watch certain shows and certain channels, same with the middle class.
>>
>>65782098
Which class is Downton Abbey meant for?
>>
>>65781995

Tv shows tend to have a target demographic which includes social class. For instance, they may choose presenters with a working class accent so that certain people can relate to the show more. British TV and radio presenters are known to use different voices in work and in their everyday lives.
>>
>>65782197
Working class
>>
>>65782197
It's one of the few shows which is watched by everyone, though middle class people might watch it slightly more.
>>
Pretty much every country has a class system. Rich people tend to hang around with rich people and poor people tend to hang around with poor people. It's not exclusive to the UK.

Perhaps the only difference between the UK and other countries is that our working class isn't deluded enough to believe that one day they might suddenly become millionaires.
>>
>>65782295
It's completely different in the UK m8, Britain is one of the few places where there are accents associated with social classes as opposed to regions. Having a woring class accent leads to you being discriminated against more than being black.
>>
>>65782295
>that our working class isn't deluded enough to believe that one day they might suddenly become millionaires.
You would be shocked how many are convinced they are going to win the lottery, they do not plan for a realistic future because of it.
>>
Social class in England is real and entrenched. There is not much possiblity for vertical movement but new sub-classes seem to be being created. Relatively sucessful working class people who manage to get into a position to make a lot of money dont automatically become middle class but for a new sub-class which is still looked down upon, likewise middle-class people who become million/billionaires can never become accepted as upper class and there has always been plenty of upper class people with no money.
I suppose its a lot like the caste system in India in that status is hereditary.
>>
>>65782376
>leads to you being discriminated against more than being black.
no
calle annecy
>>
>>65782433

He is right, some black person is more likely to be employed than some chav because of muh racism
>>
>>65782089
Just like Roman Republic.
>>
>>65782295
at least for Germany, this is not true at all.
We dont really have a prominent class culture, our rich and poor dont separate themselves from the mainstream (outside of muslim immigrants, of course).
>>
>>65782486
not in the slightest, social mobility is more rigid in terms of race than class, when you factor in education levels in particular
>>
>>65782541
Exactly, black people have the same access to education so race isn't such a big fator anymore.
>>
>>65782376
>Britain is one of the few places where there are accents associated with social classes as opposed to regions.
Incorrect. Aside from Queen's English/RP (which isn't really a natural accent anyway), all our accents are based on regions.

>>65782533
So your saying that German billionaires live in the same areas as poor Germans?
>>
i'm a worthless layabout neet who's never had a job in his life but i still think of myself as middle class due to growing up in a middle class family
>>
>>65782640
>Incorrect. Aside from Queen's English/RP (which isn't really a natural accent anyway), all our accents are based on regions.

Generally speaking, the higher you are on the social ladder the less regional your accent becomes and the closer to RP you speak. Hence accents associated with social class.
>>
>>65782640
no, but they consume the same media, go to same cultural events, speak with the same dialect.
>>
>>65782640
>all our accents are based on regions.

Not entirely. You'll get well off families living in certain parts of the country and their children won't pick up the regional accent if their parents don't speak it or they go to a well off school with similar kids.

>>65782736
Yes this too.
>>
is it possible for the brits to tell class of fellow brit posters' just by reading posts? or does it depend on accent?
>>
>>65783044
Accent and behavior. Most 4chan posters from the UK are lower middle class.
>>
>>65783085
>Most 4chan posters from the UK are lower middle class.
ah, i can feel it somewhat (in a good way) :D
>>
>>65783044

Yes.

I can't say out how, but I know. Might be certain phrasing or words.
>>
>>65783085
>behavior
did you write it this way on purpose? or the welsh always write in american english?
>>
>>65783474
*outright
>>
>>65783478
No, it was a typo
>>
Roughly the same here in the US, with social mobility being rather limited, but with the whole race thing also playing a role (most Blacks are lower class, most Asians are upper-middle to upper class, Mexicans are lower to middle class, Whites are all over, etc.)
>>
>>65783588
how is class defined in the US

i mean here you can have millionaires but they will never become upper class
>>
>>65784160
>i mean here you can have millionaires but they will never become upper class
Very true, let this story be an example of how you can be the scummiest of the scum even when rich.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Carroll_(lottery_winner)
>>
File: KUA_Phone.jpg (47KB, 600x492px) Image search: [Google]
KUA_Phone.jpg
47KB, 600x492px
I think Keeping Up Appearances is a good example of the British class-system
>>
>>65784160
>how is class defined in the US
it's not really something people really talk about here. i would say it's defined the same way as it is in the UK tho.

i mean no matter where someone lives you can make a reasoned guess at someone's background
>>
>>65784454
I remember this guy getting so much shit in the tabloids. He does sound like a cunt though tbf.
>>
>>65784698
I think everyone hated him except for the ones that were freeloading off him while stroking his ego. I bet they all fucked off at the same time as the money though.
>>
>>65782098
Bullshit

Maybe for newspapers , but tv channels is clutching at straws
>>
>>65781484
Because they used to
Frogs think we're still living in the 1800's
>>
I teach a club in a school for rich fucks.
They are all over privileged cunts and I can't wait for the real world to slap them in the face.
The parents pay so much to get their kids into this school and they are lucky if they end up with any qualifications at all. They have practically no computers in this school because they'd rather spend the money on yachts and kayaks for their private beach (not even joking, their own fucking beach).
Best kids I ever met were from "deprived" schools.
I hate rich people.
Don't raise your kids in a bubble made of diamonds.
>>
>>65781381
>Britain
>class culture
>>
>>65783044
lol sometimes
>>
>>65781381
Well there are very obvious different classes, you can tell by the way they dress, their manners, their accent, their outlook on life and their tastes/ what they like to do.
It is common to be friendly with people of other classes but not to be friends- do you understand?
>>
>>65783044
Its less obvious on 4 chan , more obvious on twitter or Facebook or some such, anyone who speaks with an " accent" online is automatically lower class
>>
>>65794754
>anyone who speaks with an " accent" online is automatically lower class
scottish '''''''''''''people'''''''''''
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.