[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the benefits of going to art school vs self teaching

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2850.jpg (726KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2850.jpg
726KB, 3264x2448px
What are the benefits of going to art school vs self teaching by doing and some moderate book instruction? Certainly its costly and you will make many mistakes but not nearly as costly as going to art sxhool. wont you potentially develop a style entirely your own?
>>
Books won't tell you what you're doing wrong specifically and how to fix it.

I don't care enough to list the other things, but the biggest difference between art school and self teaching is the critique which can make or break your journey.
>>
>>3137415
>What are the benefits of going to art school vs self teaching by doing and some moderate book instruction? Certainly its costly and you will make many mistakes but not nearly as costly as going to art sxhool. wont you potentially develop a style entirely your own?
You can do everything you can do in a school on your own. But -
>>3137417
>Books won't tell you what you're doing wrong specifically and how to fix it.
This. Having an instructor push you to do better is insanely helpful. Art school makes a big deal out of group critiques, but my experience has been that it's a waste of time because the professors almost universally give the best critique(there was that one "digital isn't art" guy but even he wasn't completely full of shit).

Art school will also push you out of your comfort zone because you'll have to grow to meet the challenges of your classes.

I'm currently attending art school, so ama I guess.
>>
at school:
You can form real life relationships at school.
You get professional and fairly trustworthy guidance how to navigate the sea of information (there are more books or tutorials than you can work through in a lifetime).
>>
Don't need either if you're talented.
>>
If you're untalented, go to art school.
>>
>>3139091
This. I'm self taught and I'm making $100k at a major company. My co-workers and I make fun of the losers who did go.
>>
>>3137415
I went to an arschool for art fundamentals and I shit you not it is 100% full of crap. I drew 3hrs everyday for a year prior to attending the school and I learned jack shit from there. The only good thing is dat I got hitches all the time cuz I'm the best in the class. By the end of the year most of my classmates still can't draw from life, Jesus fucking Christ mate
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.