[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /ic/, i need some feedback on my portfolio. Im a graphi

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: sandro-rybak-kraaab.jpg (417KB, 1920x1112px) Image search: [Google]
sandro-rybak-kraaab.jpg
417KB, 1920x1112px
Hey /ic/, i need some feedback on my portfolio.

Im a graphic designer but somehow got a job in china as a concept artist on a animation movie. Now I'm back from china and i really want to work again as a concept artist.

So thats why I want to make my portfolio (finally) strong, but I would love to get some feedback and see what my strength and my weaknesses are and what I have to work on.

Just for the information I would like to work as an environment artist.

Here is my work:
https://www.artstation.com/sandrorybak
>>
>>3137341
How do I get as good as you?
>>
youre a huge Zedig fan i can see. Talented tho! would love to see where your art evolves to
>>
>>3137342
Are you aware that this phrase is licensed for trolling uses only?
>>
what phrase? trolling uses? I am unaware of all such things. Please infgorm me
>>
>>3137865

Even though I think i have my own style I get this comment a lot. Hope I can evolve beyond this someday. But its true his way of thinking and working inspired me a lot
>>
>>3137341

Do you speak chinese? If not, what was it like working there as a foreginer?

As for your portfolio, I'm not an art director so take my comments with a grain of salt, but I kind of feel it has similar weaknesses to my own. You have some strong pieces and some weaker ones, and a few different styles. I suppose it's good to show range but I'm not getting super clear sense of identiy of your art so to speak. Some pieces feel like they were made as jokes ("The Mouldy King's Sidekick" and "Gnome Dude"for instance) and I'd honestly remove them, or re-upload them in one post where you have all the wacky sketches collected.

I really like the Zedig-like sketches. I'd love seing more of those.
>>
>>3137342
this but in a genuine way
>>
>>3137990

I dont speak chinese and it was a adventure to get to place or order food. But it was super fun to work there as a foreigner because people tend to be super friendly, but ovbiously not everyone and A LOT of people dont speak a single word english. Not even things like "OK".

Thanks for the feedback. You are right i should put these things maybe into one post or atleast the whole mouldy king project.

>>3138005
To answer this genuine or not. I really dont know. If i were good I had jobs and wouldnt not need to ask people to hep me git gud :')
>>
>>3137341
I'm gonna be blunt:

This looks like the work of someone who is trying to appear as a conceptual artist, but doesn't have the background or training to be one. You don't have strong painting or drawing skills, but worse, your ideas aren't strong. They look like pieces made by copying other's work, but poorly. None of them stand out as strong ideas, they're just the same blah work that is all over DeviantArt.
You want to work as an environment artist. I see no strong examples that you have any skill or talent at it. Have you looked at portfolios of people who have done that kind of work? I don't think you have, because this is not a portfolio of someone who's been working towards that.
You said you are a graphic designer. Good. Go do that, to pay the bills, and start studying what it is you want to do, and develop some skill at it. An art director hiring for the kind of work you want to do will glance at your portfolio, and see nothing of interest to them. Perhaps contact the people who you might be interviewing with in the future, and ask what they like to see?
>>
>>3137341
schaut gut aus, hattest du eine ausbildung?
>>
>>3138125
>This looks like the work of someone who is trying to appear as a conceptual artist, but doesn't have the background or training to be one. You don't have strong painting or drawing skills, but worse, your ideas aren't strong. They look like pieces made by copying other's work, but poorly. None of them stand out as strong ideas, they're just the same blah work that is all over DeviantArt.
>You want to work as an environment artist. I see no strong examples that you have any skill or talent at it. Have you looked at portfolios of people who have done that kind of work? I don't think you have, because this is not a portfolio of someone who's been working towards that.
>You said you are a graphic designer. Good. Go do that, to pay the bills, and start studying what it is you want to do, and develop some skill at it. An art director hiring for the kind of work you want to do will glance at your portfolio, and see nothing of interest to them. Perhaps contact the people who you might be interviewing with in the future, and ask what they like to see?

That was really blunt but well its /ic/, thats why i came here. Yeah i checked out some other portfolios, but this is mostly things that I dont want to do like scifi, realistic tanks and stuff.

I think need to work on my story telling and not just make random landscapes without meaning.

>>3138136
Ne, habe nur Kommunikationsdesign studiert
>>
>>3137341
Do you even want to work as environment artist or just decided to go that route because you think you'll have less competition to find jobs? Most of your portfolio reads like you want to do fantasy character design.
>>
>>3137341
Your rendering is ok but ask yourself why you got into art. I gotta agree with the guy who said all your stuff is bland.
Is this really what you wanna draw and who you wanna be?
I guess part of it might be you being german, never met people who are bigger conformist pussies.
>>
>>3138603
not op but environment art has less competition than characters my guess?
>>
>>3138621
That's not what I asked though
>>
>>3137341
edges are your biggest weakness right now. some of your shape design is weak as well which leads images to feel mushy despite your otherwise solid rendering & designs.
speaking of design, the stuff in your portfolio doesn't have much of a focus on it. at a glance i would've thought you were an illustrator or a color script guy. on a technical level, i feel that you are very close to your goal it's just a matter of little refinements & thinking about how to present your work to someone who isn't you
>>
>>3138639
Shoe your wok
>>
>>3138639
Seconding this post.
>>
>>3138639
I always wonder at what skill level people who write like this are.
>>
>>3138642
>>3138647
If you guys can't see OP's portfolio is total shit for design, you don't need to say anything.
>>
>>3138649
if he could be an illustrator instead of concept artist would be better i think because the artwork aesthetic is pretty decent
>>
>>3137341
画的蛮不错。住在中国那一边呀?
>>
>>3138649
How the fuck do you go from
> i feel that you are very close to your goal it's just a matter of little refinements & thinking about how to present your work to someone who isn't you
to
>If you guys can't see OP's portfolio is total shit for design, you don't need to say anything.
in 2 posts?
>>
>>3138256
>Ne, habe nur Kommunikationsdesign studiert

Not that, guy, just out of curiousity, was it easy to get a work visa for China without having an art degree?
>>
wasn't artstation for only good artist?
>>
File: latest.png (3MB, 1080x1804px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
3MB, 1080x1804px
>>3138735
Anyone can post there, if you look at the recent uploads op is definitely above the average poster
>>
>>3138772
It's becoming the new deviantart.
>>
File: 1479085081590.jpg (16KB, 180x192px) Image search: [Google]
1479085081590.jpg
16KB, 180x192px
OP, here some of these comments hit hard and discouraged me and want me to drop everything. Made me think that all I taught myself over the last years is worth nothing at all. But now i really want to show you that even a "shit" artist as I am can make it into the industry. Until this day I'll keep my favorite hate comments printed on my wall as a reminder. Thanks <3

>>3138603
I didn't know it has less competition. I really enjoy painting landscapes.

>>3138614
I'm not german, just living in this country but nice try /pol/. :^)

>>3138639
Thanks for the critique. I did a lot of fantasy illustration before and i still work as a illustrator and I want to keep this edge in my future works. I need to focus more on a portfolio that reads better what i want

>>3138649
jesus why does my work make you so angry anon?

>>3138664
谢谢

>>3138713
/ic/ is always a really schizophrenic place either you get praise or completely destroyed. I'm always glad for the couple of genuine comments you get here no matter what level this people are on.

>>3138728
yes
>>
>>3138649
Post your work.
You sound jelly as fuck
>>
>>3138949
I kind of want some how tos and tutorials from you. I also think that's an easy way to get fame for you.
Right now your subject matter is bland as fuck but I can't help but like your style. So I think a way to overcome how bland and boring your subject matter is would be to start making tutorials or share progress of your blending and constructing. Your style would be perfect for that.

Also how did you get scouted for your job in China?
>>
>>3138949
>I'm not german, just living in this country but nice try /pol/. :^)
You got the most german name ever though and you look like every german I met.
>>
>>3138980
>sandro rybak
>the most german name ever
What planet are you from?
>>
>>3138980
if you think an italian-polish name is german then no one can help you.

>>3138979
Sounds like a interesting idea but I want to try to add the things i learned about story telling and creativity from graphic design. Maybe I can finally bring my work to a new level if not skill wise.
Thanks.
>>
>>3138949
don't be discouraged, you can clearly do this.
think of it this way: you hand off the op pic to a modeler, what are they supposed to make of it? the pic is full of beautiful little illustrative flourishes that make a good painting but they offer very little clarity as to what every asset needs to be. you can't forget that the purpose of concept art is first and foremost to be communicative of design and while painting just happens to be a relatively fast & cheap way to do so, it is not the focus.
>>
>>3137341
How'd you get gigs as an illustrator before this? Or were you an inhouse graphic designer working in marketing or something? Going to study graphic design soon with focus on illustration so would like your take on it. Did you study/focus on anything specific to get your first job?
>>
>>3139004
Do it sandro.
Make interesting tutorials. Your talent and passion seems to be in presenting things neatly.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.