[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't know what to do anymore Currently going to school

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 772.jpg (56KB, 597x519px) Image search: [Google]
772.jpg
56KB, 597x519px
I don't know what to do anymore

Currently going to school of graphic design just to get some understanding of how to utilize the tools at hand and how to sell myself as an artist or such.
The best part is that we get to draw a lot and when we have our own projects, we can really get wild with ideas and do stuff we really want and in the end we present them to each other or someone like musicians and galleries.
I aspire to be a freelancer of sorts, make my own shit, possibly draw requests and maybe have people working with me, I want to draw stuff like comics and singular images.

Now, what is my problem? On my free time, I am incapable as fuck. I have the will to do shit in my head and then don't. Every night before falling asleep I ponder what I want to do, I tell myself that tomorrow I'll fucking do it, incredible ideas pop up in my head and they evolve as time goes by, then I eventually fall asleep and what happens in the morning? I feel like killing myself, I am dead tired, I've lost every single bit of ambition and idea I might've had the other day and I just drag myself into school. I draw the whole day nonstop and get things done with like 50% efficiency.
Then I get home at like 3:00 PM, I throw my bag to the floor and sit down on the computer. Then I start playing games or lurking chans or watching youtube videos until it's like 1:00-3:00 AM, I go to bed and once again think to myself, why the fuck didn't I get anything done today, then once again repeat the whole thought process of making things happen tomorrow, get tons of new ideas of what I want to do and eventually fall asleep. The cycle continues.
Weekends especially make me mad. I have plenty of time to do shit but I never do it. I play whole weekend, masturbate plenty, just eat, shit and sleep.

How the fuck can I get out of this lifestyle? There's literally nothing I can think of that could help.

[b]CONT[/b]
>>
>>3131801
go read The Power of Habit and fuck off
>>
I've been thinking of trying something like prescription medicine, drugs or alcohol to possibly boost my motivation of doing shit.
Not sure how they would work but I want to believe there is some magic pill that somehow makes me only focus on my dreams and aspirations.

And know this, I've never drank alcohol, not even tasted it, never tried cigarettes, never tried any drugs, nothing. I am as good of a kid as anyone could hope for and hopefully people think of me as a good person. But I just can't beat myself and my lazyness.
What can I possibly do? I want to become a good artist and possibly in the future teach my kid(s) the wonders of drawing as well, but right now, there's nothing motivating me, only the dream to get good, only my own ass to wipe, nothing to fight for.

Also, don't get me wrong. I am not depressed, yes some mornings you feel like killing yourself, but that applies to everybody. If you sleep for a short time, you'll be grumpy in the morning.
I am fairly content with my life and I like videogames with friends and enjoy watching youtube videos or lurking chans. The problem is that those don't profit me in any ways, they don't make my life go forward, they bind me and it's nigh impossible to move on from it.

Anyone else have this same exact problem? Have you overcome it and how?

Everybody is welcome to share their experiences, maybe I'll learn something from them. But please, do help.
>>
File: 63250925_p3_master1200.jpg (707KB, 824x1200px) Image search: [Google]
63250925_p3_master1200.jpg
707KB, 824x1200px
Completely get rid of your computer. It consumes a significant amount of lifetime and destroy your sleep cycles. If you don't do it now then you'll never do it. It will only get harder and loop until you die.

Btw stop fapping.
>>
watch alot of tony robbins
>>
>>3131801
> graphic design
Literally baby mode. People are busting their balls going for concept art/illustration that's 100x harder than aligning some grids.

> aspire to be a freelancer
> acts like a 9-5 cuck

Leard the gd fundies
>grids
>colour
>type
>type
>type
>Adobe suite
>have a website

Or the /ic/ fundies. Either draw or design. You dont have time.
>>
You're a sleep deprived zombie. I know the cycle. The things you come up with at night won't do you shit because you can't just pick up your pen and start creating them at that time.

1. Fix your sleep. You're not acting 50% just an artist, but as a human too. Cutting internet before 11pm is hard, but do it anyways. Subtitute it with reading books or watching TV for 1 hour before going to sleep.

2. Draw as the first thing in the morning. This motivates you to wake up early (helping fixing that sleep cycle) but also motivates you to work on your goals. If you can't draw before school, draw immediately after school.

3. Draw everyday for atleast 1 hour a day. If you're not drawing on weekdays, it's impossible to assume you'd be drawing at weekends.

4. 1 hour a day is enough for starters. Once you go through a hour, decide if you want go continue or take a break. Don't feel quilty if you won't draw more or miss a day. As you build habit you learn to trust that habit.

You won't be enjoying anything you do until you get good night's sleep every night.
>>
>>3131801
Just make a schedule... Is not that hard anon. Try it.
>>
>>3131801
Ah, the classic /ic/ bait thread.
>>
>>3131801
SELL YOURSELF IN THE ALLEY WHORE
>>
>>3131818
but i draw with my pc
i have tablets and everything
>>
>>3131828
as I said, I aspire to rather just draw comics and shit
I am at graphics design school only to get some form of degree
with a degree, I can get unemployment welfare and while unemployed, I have all the time in the world to draw what I want and hopefully eventually make a living with said drawing.
>>
>>3131801
listen to me, don't go into graphic design. that shit is boring as fuck, plenty of competition, hard to find half decent job.
like another anon said, get some time off computer and sort out your priorities
>>
>>3132010
I am not going for the field of graphic design, just trying to get a degree and have a place at a school where I can draw
also, I realized that we are taught some things that do help if I were to be an independent artist.
And it at least occupies me for few years instead of doing nothing but self loathing.
>>
>>3132016
well then, good luck being a freelance artist without self control.
>>
It seems to me that you really don't enjoy creating art.
>>
>>3132024
I wouldn't pursue the industry if I didn't enjoy it, instead I would be working a blue collar job until the age of 60
I know what I want very clearly, but my desires are being killed by my habits
>>
>>3132031
it doesnt sound like you worked a day in your life desu.
>>
>>3131801
>>3131801 (OP)
>how to sell myself as an artist or such.
>I aspire to be a freelancer of sorts,

You're lost in your life because you don't know what the first steps are to achieving your goals and dreams. If you woke up one morning and you knew the exact thing you needed to do that day to advance your career as an artist, you would have the energy and motivation to do it because you know it will lead to positive results.

However, that's a pipe dream. There is no omnipotent way to know what you're supposed to do with your life. No one is a psychic. The best you can do, however, is approach things as methodically as you can and treat things like an entrepreneur would. You need to set daily goals you can fulfill that work towards meeting your goals. What you've described as your goals is a career as a freelance illustrator, and that is essentially a business you need to build. A business supplies things that customers need, and you need to create something that you see is in demand.

Follow pic related. I should really write a new one with more in depth info, however this is a good, quick overview of the basic framework for starting to focus your work towards fulfilling the needs of clients in return for money It's a shame that art schools don't teach this that much (mine sure didn't), but it doesn't have to be as complicated and as daunting as it may seems. It's going to be difficult - yes - but it is entirely possible. Best thing is this: you don't even need to be that good. Simply trying and not giving up puts you ahead of a vast majority of other competing artists.

The reason I'm sharing this with you is because I think that if your life had more of a direction to follow, then you wouldn't be stuck in such a hole where you don't know what to do with yourself. Set your daily goals, and take things step by step. Don't kill yourself. It's going to be very difficult, but I promise you that your first taste of success will make it all worth it.
>>
>>3132031
You clearly don't enjoy it, you seem to be treating it like a job by the way you act, you get home at 3 p.m. and don't do art at all; just like a worker gets home, takes off his shoes and goes to his sofa to watch t.v.

When you truly enjoy something you can't get enough of it, sure something you take a rest to do other things that might interest you, but every minute you are away from you just wanna come back to it. Just like when you play a game you enjoy a lot and you would be in class thinking "how the fuck do I kill that boss..." then you'll get home and rush to play it to test ideas.

>I know what I want very clearly, but my desires are being killed by my habits
Only "doing" gets you somewhere in art (let thinking to philosophers, and even they have to write down their ideas), when you are at the computer do you have a sketchbook and pencil/pen close to you?
>>
>>3131801
Hey! im studying graphic design just to get a degree too but at least i feel more like a real job graphic design than the arts
>>3132010
is not boring if you love to be meticulous in fact my actual problem is idk what i love most
>>
>>3132034
Actually I've worked a lot in my life. It's not that I am lazy by choice. I've been working at an electronics store, created ads for them, helped around the store and repaired computers.
I helped my grandparents in their 70's to go around my country selling their linen products, for months we would drive hundreds of miles a day around the country in a campervan, I would set up a tent for them, carry all the products on display and proceed to help and sell the products along with my grandparents. For 5 or so summer seasons this went on, then my grandpa died and they decided to quit.
I've been training judo for 16 years, I've competed for 10 years and I've reaped tons of medals and trophies.
These things don't come without work and sacrifice.
I've just lost my touch and I can't find it anymore.
>>
>>3132053
you don't seem to understand how enticing it is to have a group of friends to play games with? I wish I had some of that magical neet autism.
>>
>>3131810
>Not sure how they would work but I want to believe there is some magic pill that somehow makes me only focus on my dreams and aspirations.
It's called therapy. You have psychological problems, not art problems.

Get help.

In the meantime, get 'The War Of Art" by Steven Pressfield. Your brain is your worst enemy. You need to fix it.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.