[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to draw like pic rel. What am I supposed to learn EXACTLY?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

I want to draw like pic rel. What am I supposed to learn EXACTLY?

>inb4 values and edges

Sure but everyone learns that and yet can't produce the same results.
>>
When it comes to values you have to unlearn pretty shading at first. Do some studies from the atelier nerds and figure out that way they block them in, because what you'll need to first grasp is grouping them in a presentable and concise way.

Squint a lot at your references at first. You'll notice how big chunks of them stand out and the rest blend. You want to try to make sense of that, it's key.

Once you understand the way values are grouped, start experimenting with where they fall almost - but not quite - seamlessly into each other. That's where you can "lose" your edges. Where one sharply jumps into another is the "found" or hard edges.

Big shapes are still going to need to pop, so be sure that any "leading" edge into a shape retains enough sharpness to catch the eye.
>>
>>3129880
well first of all, not do what this guy said >>3129890
second of all, we cant help you
third everyone learns differently and you absorb knowledge differently, so what can i suggest? know your quirks and find a solution, the solution is not an answer youll find one the web, its an answer youll find with time.

and four, your work isnt going to improve or magically get better if anyone suggests you any kind of course or book, it just doesnt work that way with art at all, you have 2 simple options, you draw or you dont. the rest is time. and if youre in a hurry, well then. no one can help you
>>
>>3129962
why is his advice bad? it looks standard to me... and that's how all artists are taught to block in values!
>>
>>3129880
>Sure but everyone learns that and yet can't produce the same results.
That's because everyone is different levels of good at it. Ruan Jia is the ultimate master of values and edges, so his are obviously above everyone else you've seen.
>>
>>3130014
Obviously but how does one get to his level?
>>
>>3130018
talent
>>
>>3130031
10 hours a day for 10 years.
literally, he said it.
>>
>>3130039
people put in 10.000 hours in many things. Very few become pioneers.
>>
>>3130047
10 x 365 x 10 = 36,500 hours
>>
>>3130058
I know. 10.000 hours is the meme. There's probably plenty of people who put down 36,500 hours into a skill as well. It's not an exceptional amount of time spent doing something. And there's still far between the pioneers.
>>
>>3130069
There is a big difference in people and how they do things though.

It is important that you find a way for yourself learn how to learn.

of you want to leave humanity and become a demi-god, learn how to learn how to learn.

And for the truly gifted GOD amongst men; learn how to learn how to learn how to learn.

That way, you only need 300 hours to become amazing.

No problem mate.
>>
>>3130075
thanks for the tip
>>
>>3129962
>your work isnt going to improve or magically get better if anyone suggests you any kind of course
That's where you're wrong. I've improved a ton since i started atelier style classes. Having one on one instruction and putting in 10 hours a day will 100% make you improve
>>
>>3130069
What do you think of Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell? (The 10,000 hrs thing was said in that book a lot)
>>
>>3129880

just study...
>>
>>3129962

That seems rather illogical. You're either saying that all methods are equally sound, or that the method and technical knowledge does not matter at all.
>>
edges and values
>>
>>3129880
>Sure but everyone learns that and yet can't produce the same results
Few people learn how to do that correctly. The easiest way to learn properly is by going to an ateier
>>
>>3130039
I can't imagine people drawing for 10 hours a day. What does he do? You can't practice deliberately for 10 hours
>>
>>3129880
You're supposed to learn how to draw yourself terribly as an old creepy woman
>>
>>3129880
is it just me or do those fingers look way too fucking short?
>>
>>3130305
yeah, her hands are really small
that or the artist fucked up with the perspective on her head
>>
What exercises do I have to do in order to get more control over values? I need to produce smoother transitions.
>>
>>3130395
The ten scale value
>>
>>3129880
When you do a study like that, the result is based off the artists ability to exaggerate the relationships.

I'm almost certain the original image is a grey blob.
>>
>>3129880
>proper measurments
>graphic shadow shapes
>meticulous edge control

it's textbook proko anon.
>>
>>3129880
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nap7dwHjD9Y

>>3130395
Don't use a slider or color wheel. Pick only 4-5 set values and paint only with that.
>>
>>3129880
>Sure but everyone learns that and yet can't produce the same results.

This is an assumption you haven't proven m8

Pic related gets it's distinct look from aesthetic choices not just values and edges.

To paint or draw like pic related, you need to study the same style

Let's have a look shall we? The points of interest appear to be the left hand, nose, mouth, basically that general area

I THINK the values are being used to emphasise the forms of the subject and there's a lot of subtle shading paying attention to the bumps of the skin

The edges are soft and textured at the same time. It reminds me a bit of watercolours infact

Forms that appear further from the viewer appear less defined.

Even areas that are more detailed and sharp have traces of soft, textured edges.

There's also very little pure blacks and whites.

The artist isn't overworking any areas either. By this I mean they're trying to be as economic with their strokes as possible. I THINK I see this on the earings

The general aesthetic of this picture reminds me of smoke or something ghostly as if shes peering out of some mist
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.