[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm getting back into art and I'm being flooded

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2742.gif (989KB, 455x344px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2742.gif
989KB, 455x344px
So I'm getting back into art and I'm being flooded again with thoughts from high school that I'll never be good because I can't draw shit from memory without a visual aid. I used to bullshit my way through art class but people liked my shit anyway. Should I just draw objects from observation
>>
>>3128668
Why do you need to draw from memory?
>>
The notion that drawing shit from memory equates to skill level is a huge meme. As long as you get a decent end product, there is no shame in using reference images. Doing so isn't a crutch depending on how you use them and only helps further strengthen your work. A lot of people here seem to have this belief that Kim Jung Gi is the epitome of artistry due to his ability to draw from memory. It's an amazing skill to have but isn't everything there is to art. Famous painters and illustrators like Norman Rockwell and countless others all depended heavily on references. How much you want to hone your imaginative drawing skills really just depends on what you want your end product to look like. All these skills do develop from observational drawing though so, yes, it's best to start doing that.
>>
>>3128741
>Kim Jung Gi

Ha ha ha!!!! I just checked out one of his videos. He draws cartoons nigga! What kind of shit is that?

Anyone can learn to draw cartoon people from memory. Serious artists use visual references.
>>
>>3128741
Depending heavily on references when doing comics or animation will greatly limit you. Illustration is fine, since you're drawing the character or scene from one angle but when you have to constantly redraw characters and environments frkm different angles while maintaining proportions, shape language, expressions, relying heavily on reference will debilitate your art.
>>
File: IMG_2776.jpg (1MB, 2446x3140px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2776.jpg
1MB, 2446x3140px
>>3128737
>>3128741
>>3128745
>>3128791
So I've drawn some sketches
>>
draw DRAW draw lose yourself forget everything let the obsession overtake you and all your worries and petty insecurites
>>
>>3128741
This. My only advice to OP is to do a bit of both: observational drawing and adding elements you've learned from construction. A couple of solid anatomy model kits they make for A&P classes and reference photos you've taken yourself should help. Idiot normies who have no ability to draw will often tell you that it isn't art if you haven't created it purely from your imagination. They simply don't understand everything that goes into creating something that looks good. That being said, 'photocopying' is a lot more excruciatingly boring to do than transmuting what's important about what you're observing and just improvising the rest.
>>
>>3128791
Are you saying that based on theory or do you actually know something? Because I've seen tons of animators and comic artists use refs a shitload

See from 14:00
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ITUvOpfYGEc
>>
>>3129747
>>3129833
A lot of times my sketches from my mind turn out to be pure unadulterated shit. Would make you puke if you looked too closely.
>>
>>3128668
Dirty little secret man. None but the very best pros can draw completely from memory. In the same way chefs use cookbooks, artists cheat with references all the time.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.