[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Andrew Loomis

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 17

File: loomis5.gif (14KB, 188x252px) Image search: [Google]
loomis5.gif
14KB, 188x252px
When did you realize that this guy was really fucking based and not a meme at all? I've been going through his books recently and I just realized how good he was and how much guys like Hampton copied his method. Fun with a pencil is kind of a crappy book, though. Loomis is not a meme.
>>
>>3126562
What have we been telling you time and time again, but no you faggots kept brushing him off as nothing but a meme.
>>
>>3126562
When I got passed the stupid faces part and replaced it with anime faces
>>
Is there a correct way to workthrough his books?

I think FWAP is for absolute beginners but Figure Drawing For all it's Worth too complex. There's a lot he's not showing there
Going from FWAP to FDFAIW feels like a huge jump
>>
>>3126578
Still do FWAP, just do the beginning quickly, like 2-4 minutes per sketch.
>>
File: 51RaIY124nL.jpg (45KB, 383x500px) Image search: [Google]
51RaIY124nL.jpg
45KB, 383x500px
>>3126562
when i saw the cover of the other books he did. i thought he was just a cartoonist
>>
>>3126562
After reading Creative Illustration.
>>
>>3126562
Since always.

I'm happy I'm not some retarded dipshit and I'm able to think for myself as opposed to trying to save face in front of a bunch of faceless shitposting nobodies.

Feels good, man.
>>
>>3126573
fucking kek
>>
>>3126562
How did you guys force yourself to read through mountains of text from a guy who isn't a writer, but an artist? How do you go about completing any artbook for that matter? Do you study and draw? For how long? How do you not get bored looking at these fucking pages and the unorthodox format?
I feel fucking dumb, I'm somewhat tired all the damn time and my brain is fucking mashed potatoes. Do I have to wip myself like a slave after finishing a bikeride and eating a healthy breakfast of goatcum and oatbars? fuck.

HOW DO YOU FINISH THESE THINGS.
HOW DO YOU FINISH TUTORIALS WITH ALL THAT TECHNICAL SHIT, it is mind numbing and nonsensical after a while. shittttt niga.
Isn't drawing supposed to be lively?
>>
>>3127143
>How did you guys force yourself to read through mountains of text from a guy who isn't a writer, but an artist? How do you go about completing any artbook for that matter?
>HOW DO YOU FINISH THESE THINGS.
>HOW DO YOU FINISH TUTORIALS WITH ALL THAT TECHNICAL SHIT, it is mind numbing and nonsensical after a while. shittttt niga.
I don't have attention deficit syndrome.
>>
>>3127143
Post your work
>>
>>3127143
>mountains of text
>isn't a writer but an artist
Do you read at a 3rd grade level or something anon? Loomis literally writes like 2-3 pages for every handful of plates he's showing you. And his writing is crystal clear man, he explains everything in an easy to understand way and doesn't needlessly complicate things or use technical jargon. Try reading what Bridgman wrote and then you'll fucking love loomis.
>bridgman
>look at the ulnar radius carpialus bone located along the secntriptal optic diataric indentation on the rear side of the histomologist. The bipedal Cepticus (bicep) attaches to the mondo mango tendon...
>need a fucking thesaurus and anthropologist to breakdown his text
>Loomis
>Yo, draw this skeleton a couple times and then look at the next plate to learn about the muscles. Make sure you practice!
>draws a helpful bird to encourage you
Loomis is perfect.
>>
Fun With A Pencil = Perspective Made Easy

Erik Olson Perspective Series and Scott Robertson = Michael Hampton and George Bridgman

Take that as you will.
>>
>>3127143
>lively
You're sperging out but yeah, I share a similar sentiment...except I already learned that most of drawing is heavily technical and not supposed to be lively. That's okay though--it's what gives it value.

Maybe you should look into options with less text and more hands-on learning.

>>3127260
>helpful bird
C-cute...goddamn, fine I'll go read Loomis now.
>>
>>3126578
Successful Drawing -> Figure drawing for all its worth -> drawing heads and hands -> creative illustration

Or start with creative illustration to get inspired, then mix and match the rest to conquer problems as needed.
>>
>>3127260
You're not supposed to read Bridgman, just look at his drawings and copy them.
>>
>>3127298
You're not doing yourself any favors in saying that because his drawings are objectively shit
>>
>>3127143
is this what being a ADHD brainlet feels like?
>>
His teachings are good, but I wouldn't tell a beginner to go right ahead to his books (or any other author) without first having developed the habit of drawing every day.
>>
>>3127305
No bully, ADHD is a real thing.
>>
>>3127299
You're not doing yourself any favors in saying that because it just makes you sound like a delusional Dunning Kruger.
>>
>>3127298
Yeah I know, I was just trying to come up with an example of an artist who is actually a shitty writer. I feel like Loomis does an okay job at making his book readable and understandable, Bridgman is just incomprehensible. Luckily his drawings make up for that tho.
>>
I like him, but I can see why some have trouble learning from his books. His teaching methods just aren't for everyone, and that really applies to any artist publishing tutorial work. It'll make sense to some, but not all.
>>
>>3127315
>>3127298
>>3127299
What the fuck are you saying? Bridgeman book is great in both illustration and writing. If you wanted to get into actual anatomy there's literally no better book.
>>
File: distain.jpg (9KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
distain.jpg
9KB, 223x226px
>>3127299
>>
File: anatomy.jpg (37KB, 357x499px) Image search: [Google]
anatomy.jpg
37KB, 357x499px
>>3127322
>If you wanted to get into actual anatomy there's literally no better book.
>>
>>3127331
You heard me.
>>
>>3127331
why the fuck did they choose that to put on the front cover?
>>
No love for Hogarth here?
It's hard mode Hampton.
>>
>>3127335
hogarths stuff looks weird as fuck, his figures look like martians doing interpretative dance
>>
>>3127335
I guess you're really into drawing people made out of rubber?
>>
>>3127334
Nothing says artist anatomy like some guy making armpit fart noises.
>>
>people unironically defending meme-man
>implying 99% of them have even read him

lol
>>
>>3127335
>hard mode Hampton
Then just read Hampton
>>
>>3127322
Bridgman excels at depicting anatomy through his line drawings. Looking at the way he constructs his forms and wedges them together is really informative however his writing is cumbersome, archaic and needlessly complicated. The value of his teaching lies in the drawings not the writing. The writing even detracts from his teachings at times.
>>
>>3126562
He's only good if you want to draw caricatures.
>>
File: adde3af7ae68359264141056e8b7e163.jpg (329KB, 1280x1030px) Image search: [Google]
adde3af7ae68359264141056e8b7e163.jpg
329KB, 1280x1030px
>>3127345
>>
>>3127345
>>3127352
Enjoy your plateau
>>
File: bammes.png (598KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bammes.png
598KB, 1280x720px
>>3127331
Bridgman and Bammes are both pretty much essential.
>>
>>3127353
That style is shit and ugly, Hampton's more elegant
>>
Loomis skims through some stuff leaving the reader wonder what the fuck he wants us to do. Like in Drawing Heads he says 'use this head construction model for every head you draw' then gives us examples from only two angles.

Hampton takes us way deeper and holds our hand thorough the entire process. I'd still recommend FWP before Hampton though.
>>
>>3127331
This brainlets will never understand the genius that is Bammes
>>
>>3127341
99% haven't read nor finished loomis, hampton, or hogarth. They're all posers pretending and I have no idea on Gods given Earth they're all acting like they've conqueror the content.
>>
>>3127549
What is FWP
>>
This book shits all over Loomis. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>3127592
>symbol drawing: the book
>"egg" skull anstraction
>no perpective
>female faces so unappealing it might have single-handedly turned me gay

This book has some valuable tips for proportion but that's about it.
>>
>>3127599
How are the female faces unappealing? How is there symbol drawing?
>>
>>3127183>>3127184
>>3127260
>>3127184
>>3127279
>>3127305
In my defence I'm just now prying myself to truly learn the fundamentals, not the grade school art class crap that sustained my unstructured skill. It's daunting, it is a workbook. I downloaded about 8 PDFs and I feel overwhelmed by the amount of content I'm expected to absorb. How do you guys get over the anxiety of transitioning from the creative freeflow to the technical blueprints? Do you read these books in gull or do you skim them for valuable information? It feels weird, share your workflow please.
>>
>>3127601
Hamm's females are uncanny valley creatures with huge clown lips. Post his women next to Loomis' from FDFAIW and you'll see what I mean. He also doesn't teach perspective-all you get is flat depictions of the major anatomical landmarks with no further comment taught in a very formulaic way. He doesn't even explain how to draw a head in 3/4 iirc rather he provides an "egg" for a front view and a "plan" for a profile view. Because he doesn't write much though the book is mercifully short and can be better used as a quick reference than Loomis or Vilppu's books can, I'll give him that.
>>
>>3127347
How so? He explains the mechanisms of the limbs, the beauty of design and the functions of every major muscle and bone, I understand that sometimes you have to read what he says several times, but that's just how learning anatomy works.
>>
>>3127569
FWAP*
>>
>>3126578
Not really? FWAP gets quite deep after the blooks phase
>>
>>3127336
Hogarth's figures look like that because he's prioritizing clarity. I figured that our when I bought his hands book, it has lots of weird finger poses to show what the mobility range is, but in the later end of the book there are proper hands holding objects that look very natural.
>>
File: draw-animals.jpg (55KB, 376x499px) Image search: [Google]
draw-animals.jpg
55KB, 376x499px
>>3127592
I like his book on drawing animals.
>>
>>3127331
anyone got a link to the pdf?
>>
File: IMG_1902.jpg (69KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1902.jpg
69KB, 450x450px
>There's people in this board who don't learn from multiple books
>>
>>3128133
Post your artbooks then.
>>
As a beginner would fun with a pencils be a good book to start out with?
>>
>>3128205
If you're serious about improving a complete beginner should start with the Bargue drawing course. Thank me later.
>>
>>3127604
Well, you really arent transitioning from one point to another. In reallity you were ignorant of the other part that drawing has. Ideally you dont read the books just to do it, but you have to analyze them and compare the things that it says with your work.
>>
>>3128205
There are people who considers FWAP to be his worst book and advise to skip it. I found it a good entry into his stuff: by the time you finish it, you're used to his style and exercises and have an overview of what he'll teach in his other books.

>>3128214
As a complete beginner, I made more progress in doing a few plates from Bargue than when going through the entirety of Drawing on the Right Side. I can't really explain why it worked but it made my lines better and proved to me that I've currently zero understanding about values (hard pill to swallow, especially after going through DotRSotB and its tricks to make your pic looks better than it is). I should really go back to doing a few others.
>>
>>3128135
Atm I'm going through loomis and bridgman. Before that I did a bit of Hampton, stopped at around the arm section since I wasn't feeling his approach and Loomis seemed to explain it better. Also watched vilppu's videos a while back and I try to watch one or two relavent videos every now and then. I basically just skim a shit load of resources and if something seems useful to me I'll try to incorporate it some how.
>>
>>3127260
Finally someone said it.
>>
>>3128214
>>3128297
Thanks for the info.
>>
>>3127260
>>bridgman
>>look at the ulnar radius carpialus bone located along the secntriptal optic diataric indentation on the rear side of the histomologist. The bipedal Cepticus (bicep) attaches to the mondo mango tendon...
As someone who always studied on Bridgman this made me kek
>>
File: IMG_3044.jpg (51KB, 566x785px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3044.jpg
51KB, 566x785px
>>3127353
>Burne Hogarth
>>
>>3127298
>>3127314

brigdman's drawings are shit because you're not supposed to draw from them, you're supposed to use them as a guide in live drawing classes
>>
>>3127604
I have like 2 tbs of art resources anon, and I'm sure I wont use even half of them. Don't feel like you HAVE to go through every book or use every resource. The books you use should depend on what it is you're learning. Wanna do anatomy? Try Loomis' figure drawing book. Maybe Loomis isn't explaining something properly or you don't understand his method, then jump to another anatomy book like Hampton and skip to the relevant section and give him a shot. This is what I did. I worked through Hampton until I got to the arms and the way he was teaching it wasn't clicking with me so I hopped over to Loomis' book and looked at how he taught arms. That made more sense so I continued with his book.
>>
>>3129363
Can't see anything wrong with it.

> On a serious note, >>3127728 has a point.
>>
File: gf.jpg (11KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
gf.jpg
11KB, 250x241px
>>3127336
>>3127338
>>
End this meme now.
>>
>>3128297
>Bargue
What is he/it? And can I find him/it in the artbook thread?
>>
Is it me or loomis never mentions gestures in his books?
>>
File: tenor.gif (3MB, 442x250px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
3MB, 442x250px
>>3126562
Holy shit this thread is still happening?
>>
>>3127299
>>3127347
The point of Hogarth and Bridgman, and the reason why it's recommended to do their drawings is not so you can adopt their drawing styles, which I would imagine they purposely exaggerated to stall you from doing so.

The point is to get you to think about every line/expression that you are putting down from their books, and through doing so make you remember better and recall them while you're working on your own things.

Modern studies still seem to be in agreement that best memory recall begins at a physical level, so reading isn't enough.

You need to draw to understand.

>>3130721
It's a 19th century drawing course by Charles Bargue and Jean Leon Gerome (leading instructors at the time to some degree). There is also a much older one that is somewhat more construction focused by Frederick de Wit.

/ic/ has the Bargue book. I may scan FdW's book but alas I'd have to break the binding in doing so. The plates are really fucking wonderful.

http://content.ngv.vic.gov.au/col-images/api/EPUB002203/1280

http://tompuro.com/art/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/20150729_144232.jpg
>>
>>3130804
Those are some nice drawings. Frederick de Wit, you say? I ought to check if his book is available locally.
>>
>>3126562
Legally speaking, his books still free?
>>
>>3130846
If they're in print, they're not free. But they're always running out of print, so who knows?
>>
>No anons have posted thier work
>/ic/hugbox

Post your works, boys and girls, let's see those awesome art gains from reading memes like Loomis
>>
>>3130850
First editions are public domain, dipshit
Go to archives.org
>>
>>3128236
>>3128302
This is good advice, I'll consider these words.
You know what, those books don't look to bad afterall, I'm ready to grind.
>>
>>3130868
STILL NO PICKLES?!?!?!

Where them pics at, silly boys?
>>
>>3130868
What the hell is this tryna say?
>>
>>3130868

Why are digital painters almost unvariably so horrible at lettering and why do they do it with a fucking hard round of all brushes
>>
>>3126562
does anyone know any good tutorial serieses for fundamentals?
>>
>>3131140

sticky bitch
>>
>>3131128
"Post your work"
>>
>>3127592
Funny story: one of my friends contacted Karl Kopinski after buying his sketchbook and asked what books he used/recommend to learn. He recommend drawing the head & figure.
>>
>>3126562
Anyone seen this unfinished Loomis book?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNKWvli1Mng
It looks great because his drawings aren't cleaned up and I have a better idea of how Loomis thinks because of that.
>>
>>3131414
Yeah. Wish I had a scan of this new book.
>>
STILL
NO
PICKLES
>>
>>3126562
POST YOUR WORK
>>
File: 20170911_101348.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170911_101348.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>
>>3131414
>>3131422
it looks more like the table of contents of all his books
each chapter being an introduction to each book
>>
>>3126562
are his books public domain?
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.