[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently took it upon myself to finally learn japanese. I memorized

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

File: 1504640617508.jpg (36KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
1504640617508.jpg
36KB, 250x249px
I recently took it upon myself to finally learn japanese. I memorized hiragana in a three days and working on katakana.

I didn't expect this at all, but I think I am onto why Japanese manga artists draw the way they do and why japanese love reading manga.

In any given character in hiragana, the stroke order is important of course, but I think whats more important is the proportional balance of the curves and lines and the subtle lifts, all within a small square. And Manga is like that too, a series of squares and rectangles, with loosely drawn people fitted inside pleasingly. One can argue that its more from film influence when it coems to certain compositions, but I think you can make an equally strong argument that its all in their language system.

Sorry, I'm caffeinated. I'm wondering if japanese will help one git gud at art. Grasping at straws.
>>
American dude in Japan here. Know a lot of Japanese. You are grasping. Certainly Japanese has a unique visual power because the different writing systems can and do convey ideas in a visual sense as well as a literal sense as letters. But no your theory is bunk and learning Japanese will not make you better at drawing lewd Burmese Etch A Sketch girls.
>>
>>3126182

funny story, every day in school years ago (high school) I would take out my nintendo DS every lunch break, open up pictochat, and open the jap keyboard. I would then close my eyes and begin flinging the kana on the writing space and then open my eyes and write out each kana sound. I remember it being a bitch to learn but I finally was able to read it as fast as English alphabet.

Anyway...no that is stupid. The Japanese probably hate our alphabet and think it's even more complex. Just look at "l" and I" they both look the same just like ソン to gaijins. Kanji is easier than kana because they look like pictographs (most of them anyway).
>>
Learning japanese will get you good at japanese.

Then if you want to put japanese in your art it will make you better at your art.

Why not ?
>>
File: 1504554660507.png (554KB, 967x954px) Image search: [Google]
1504554660507.png
554KB, 967x954px
絶望
>>
>>3126182
I feel that learning to do beautiful handwriting from an early age certainly helps later when you try to learn how to draw, due to how much you need to get things like proportion and line control right in order to properly do good looking handwriting.
That said, it's not restricted to pictographs such as in japanese. Sure, the variety and subtlety of the characters raise the bar of the lowest common denominator (i.e. the people with shitty japanese handwriting will most likely have better average handwriting than the shitty western hand writer), but the benefits of good handwriting apply to any written language as long as it's done consistently beautiful. In addition, this is probably just a minor perk that will benefit your drawing learning but realistically not by too much.
>>
>>3126196
Sensei
>>
Of course it's important, but it's no different from any other script. You could find the same balance and stroke order in your native language's script. Most of my Japanese friends and teachers handwriting is really fucking terrible and barely readable. I wish I devoted the time spend studying Japanese to actually doing art. Well, not really, I love both.
>>
>>3126182
is the pink wojak becoming "in" or are you just one autist making tons of faggot level threads? anyways I think the calligraphy involved in writing kanji etc. is more important than the whole paneling thing, also 3 days for hiragana is pretty bad my man, have fun learning the 2k jouyou kanji ;^)

consider going to /jp/ daily jp threads, maybe also get firefox/chrome rikaisama for inbuilt kanji readers to make it a bit more bearable.
Also use anki, otherwise you might aswell fucking kill yourself. がんばれ!
>>
>>3126182
I also realized that why so many western artists of the past were so great was because calligraphy was actually taught back then. We all write like degenerates now and that's why we draw like degenerates. Good writing is the first art redpill, that's not to say having good handwriting instantly makes you good at drawing, it just helps.
>>
>>3126190
>American dude in Japan here
whitu piggu go home
>>
>>3126385
Someone's jealous.
>>
>>3126345
>2k jouyou kanji
The American in Japan dude here.This is a fool's errand for practical purposes. And let's be honest most people just want to read Burmese comic books. Just learn the elementary school kanji. It's half length of the Jouyou list and literally like more than 90% of kanji in newspapers. The elementary school kanji are half the Jouyou list but they are no joke more than 90% of the relevancy.

I'd say I know about 1,300 kanji more or less. Currently reading an honest to God novel for grown-ups, and it's taking obscure Buddhist terms for me to come across Kanji I don't know. Jouyou is a fucking meme. Like how this gem 朕 is on the Jouyou list. (a first person pronoun used by royalty--and one I doubt has seen any fucking use since the Showa Emperor). "General use" my ass.

>3 days for hiragana is pretty bad my man
To get it all absorbed 100%? Nah, not really. Took me a day or two to familiarize myself with them, about a week for 100% internalization. Anyone who's not a posturing faggot will need at least one round of spaced repetition to get them down, really.
>>
>>3126345
Pretty positive it's the same faggot making these threads
>>
File: crop.jpg (403KB, 1177x1294px) Image search: [Google]
crop.jpg
403KB, 1177x1294px
>>3126182
Hey, are you that guy from /biz/?

On the off-chance you're not that shitposter:
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1rmnI9xUaz6
>>
>>3126182
>I'm wondering if japanese will help one git gud at art.

No. You're learning a language.
Learning an language helps with the language you are learning.
>>
>>3126182
erm no, I learnt a bit of Japanese up to B1 and it didn't reinforce my skills at all for one year. I also did 2 months of Chinese calligraphy for a buddhist temple by copying their script.

In fact, I did not allocate any time for drawing during that time period. You could say that I either stagnated or got worser. And got TENDONITIS.
>>
>>3126575
I've studied for a few years and my experience is the opposite---I keep seeing new kanji even at 3-4k kanji recognition. I'm not reading esoteric texts either, it's just VNs, doujinshi and easy seinen stuff.

It's true that 1000 kanji cover a great part of what you might see in a newspaper but you'll still pretty much only get a few words into a sentence before you encounter a character/word you haven't seen before. Anything that goes even the slightest bit in-depth on a subject will be impossible to read
>>
>>3126595
why does that person talk with golf balls in their mouth
>>
>>3126345
Pink wojaks are popular on biz
>>
File: 6f00c12zfi8z.jpg (98KB, 787x1061px) Image search: [Google]
6f00c12zfi8z.jpg
98KB, 787x1061px
>>3126810
It's just one guy makig them though
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZEA54VJEdE
>>
>>3126828
OP here. I have posted pink wojak exactly once before.

Pretty confused how confident people can be about calling samefag. I guess that's what happens if you're on 4chan too long
>>
File: 3.jpg (114KB, 380x600px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
114KB, 380x600px
>>3126858
We're talking about /biz/ and the guy who is making the wojaks, not you. Don't be so self-centered.
>>
>>3126861
I was referring to the guy talking about people posting pink wojaks on /ic/. please read the thread before miscontributing --;
>>
>>3126869
idiot detected
>>
>>3126885
You really do not get it. No wonder you waste your time posting on /ic/. NGMI
>>
>>3126891
Wanna do a drawing battle? You pick the subject/prompt.

Timewise, I suggest 40-50min. Medium free, but no photobash/phototextures/photobrushes.
>>
>>3126777
>I've studied for a few years and my experience is the opposite---I keep seeing new kanji even at 3-4k kanji recognition.

Of course you're going to see them I guess my point is simply that it rustles my jimmies when people shill the meme Jouyou list like it's this end all be all thing. It's well known that words for "who" 誰 and the most common casual male pronoun 俺 are not on this list, but you certainly need to be formally taught some obscure unit of measurement 斤 or the character that represents "chanting in Noh plays" 謡.

Obviously I'm being harsh and the Jouyou list is still useful for 100% mastery of Japanese, but I think my point still stands.

When you can absolutely read famous Japanese novelists like Murakami knowing the elementary school list + change, it's just dumb as fuck to shill the Jouyou to beginners like that guy did.
>>
>>3126980
Tropic?
>>
>>3126980
no balls. Im way better than you, you are no match for me.
>>
>>3127056
I come back after a day and you are this rustled over me using jouyou kanji as an easy frame of reference for somebody who doesnt know the first thing about kanji? what I did is the equivalent of loomis memeposting dont get your panties in a bunch 先輩
>>
>>3127289
>a-all I did was help him out heh why u mad bro

Wrong, you were being snarky and condescending. And not even that helpful anyway.
>>
>>3127301
>a-all I did was help him out heh why u mad bro
>snarky and condescending
and so are you, and there is nothing wrong with that, especially in a place like this.
>>
>>3127306
>you
>hurr hiragana in 3 days? I learned hiragana on the toilet taking a dump yesterday my dude, pssssh, good luck with Japanese--nothing personnel, kid.

>Me
>calling you out on being snarky and condescending

>NO U 2

Ok, man.
>>
>>3127089
Ok! Very broad, lol.

I have to go out now, will start in about 70 minutes or so.
>>
>>3127551
>hurr hiragana in 3 days? I learned hiragana on the toilet taking a dump yesterday my dude, pssssh, good luck with Japanese--nothing personnel, kid.

Yeah, absolutely levelheaded and in no way an exaggeration of what I said, same with the heh u mad bro stuff. Like I said it's what's to be expected here, but atleast don't be so hypocritical about it my friend.
>>
File: 40min speedpaint tropic theme.jpg (245KB, 1000x627px) Image search: [Google]
40min speedpaint tropic theme.jpg
245KB, 1000x627px
>>3128771
>>3127089
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.