[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in love with yoshinari's work and I'd really

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 9.jpg (1MB, 2038x1582px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
1MB, 2038x1582px
I'm in love with yoshinari's work and I'd really like to grasp his "style"; my question is, how do you think that animators like him evolved their way of drawing from real life studies? How can I "get" it?
>>
>>3126013
by drawing 16 hours a day everyday
>>
>>3126017
It's not healthy, also study is a matter of quality, not quantity, you are not wrong tho, someone could find enjoyable grinding all day; I'm not asking about the quantity of time that needs to be put into it, but the method that in your opion would be the better choice
>>
Understand how to draw the human figure in a multitude of perspectives and in different settings.

Start with the arm. Learn how to draw it from every conceivable angle and major pose. Then move on to other limbs.

Frequently make your own personal work to gauge your progress and see if you're going in the right direction.

When stuck on how to draw something in terms of style or process, look at Yoshi's work and study it to infer their process. If you're really stuck check out the recommended how-tos from /ic/, then see if you can use that knowledge to infer Yoshi's process.
>>
>>3126017

diminishing returns, dumb bitch

I guarantee you I get more out of my 4 hour daily studies than most people who put in 8+ mindlessly grinding

enjoy your carpal tunnel
>>
>>3126029
>mindlessly grinding meme
They did double the work you did
>>
>>3126013
Something great animators do, Japanese or Western, is being eloquent with line. They'll sketch, they'll construct, but when it's time to animate they capture all the rhythms and forms in line, primarily contours. This is a necessity of the medium and the profession. These are people who draw 30, 40 key frames per day, and 2 to 3 times that much inbetweening.

This isn't something to be learned as much as it is an ability to be gained, so you have to grind. Quantity does matter to the animator, you can't rationalize this away.
>>
>>3126038
The question is tho, what must I grind exactly?
>>
>>3126041
your sisters anatomy
>>
>>3126013
Not falling for the study meme, that's for sure.
Hell, Yoh himself even admit to saying "fuck that shit" and just drew at his leisure.
>>
>>3126050
Sources? He went to an art college and most definitely been honed by the balls at Gainax by his superiors.
>>
>>3126013
I personally view it as studying to capture motion or "feeling" as the focus. Obviously you need good fundies to pull it off, but for example just from his sketches you can see anticipations, tension etc..
>>
>>3126048
Ahah lol
>>
>>3126017
Fuck that.

Take it from an animator, it's a long ass process. But if you turn it into a torture session holy shit you're going to resent animation and thus not want to do it and not improve.

Try maybe adding different weights to your lines. Don't make it all the same thickness or even texture. Variance creates life.
>>
>>3126013
Study anatomy, gesture and perspective, copy his drawings but try to do some yourself in his style, also get anime effect by toru yoshida and mattesi force drawing. Draw everyday.
>>
File: GesturePractice.png (3MB, 1028x1112px) Image search: [Google]
GesturePractice.png
3MB, 1028x1112px
>>3126183
>>
>>3126183
>>3126093
Thanks guys, those are solid tips
>>
>>3126059
Yeah, and at that same art college he explains how he fucked around and never paid attention.
>>
>>3126059
>>3126411
Yoh learnt how to animate by helping his big brother Kou Yoshinari, also a great animator, so when he then went to college he spent most of that time experimenting with animation while all the other kids learnt how to animate bouncing balls
>>
>>3126013

I used to be fanatical about making attractive sketches because I found the gestural roughs of pro comic book artists and animators to be insanely aesthetic (well, still do) so I would do my best to imitate what I saw. To be fair, I learnt a fair bit about doing construction and gestures, but I think focusing on making attractive sketches in of itself is a bit of a red herring. Your sketches are a byproduct of experience and skill; they come out sponatenously and your hand sometimes surprises your eye.

Copy his drawings, sure, but don't be too focused on gaining the same quality of linework or you'll be dissapointed. Do your own studies and look at his art everyday. I personally printed out roughs from marvel artists on my walls when I started and had them on my wall next to my monitor.
>>
>>3126460
that is sorta what I'm currently doing with my exercises
>>
>>3126460
What does your art look like now?

Getting a good feel for gesture is one of the things I want the most from my art.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.