[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why dont you quit 4chan (and /ic/ and other social media)? You

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

Why dont you quit 4chan (and /ic/ and other social media)? You will have more time to do studies, and your ability to focus (or rather intensity of focus) will improve a lot. Stop switching tasks and multitasking (which is the same thing really) which decreases the quality of your work.
"When I decided to try for a professional career…I thought about what I needed — more time to study and less stress. Both came immediately when I turned away from the internet." - chessmaster Wesley So
>>
>>3122700
it's the need to talk to someone

like I don't even like video games but I play them to talk to people
>>
Discipline means working hard but killing yourself working. Contrary to popular belief getting rid of the internet will not make all of /ic/ work twice or thrice as hard, instead it will make them procrastinate on something else.

The way of doing things is to have time for yourself, relax, go out, play video games, watch anime, browse here etc. but you must understand that there's time for work and time to not-work, and when it's time to work you have to get on that shit hard.
>>
>>3122708
The thing is if you build good working habits, you no longer need discipline and willpower to work and procrastination stops being a problem. Say if you draw every evening from 6 - 8 pm or whatever, it will after time become automatic and you even wont have to think about it, just like you automatically brush your teeth in the evening etc.
>>
>>3122708
Though I agree you need time to rest, the things that help with the stress are things that are NOT internet related - spending time in nature, or with friends and family, listening to music, prayer and meditation that kind of stuff and the worst ones are things like watching tv, playing video games, eating or using substances.
>>
>>3122713
the things that help with stress best* is what i meant
>>
>>3122712
Of course, but quitting the things you enjoy is not going to ever help you get there, Discipline is not a gift bestowed by the gods of drawing, it is it's own skill that must be trained and worked up. When you are good at it Discipline is no longer a problem, but trying to draw 5+ hours a day just starting out is like drawing anatomy without knowing gesture. You can, you'll get somewhere, but it's not the way to do it.
>>3122713
Eh, you are working already, I can see what you mean, but if you have free time you should really spend it doing whatever you want, if you don't then it's basically work outside of work.
>>
>>3122700
turning away from the internet is definitely something I aspire towards, however I need references. I stopped using my phone to cure boredom this summer and holy fuck living life is so much easier. Like, the distraction phones create is incredible, because my phone doesn't help me draw at all so why do I need it lol
>>
I stopped normiebook 2 years ago and im glad about that. Such a waste of time but I use instagram and plebbit (pls no bully) for connections and getting my stuff seen. But all the other shit is just draining.
>>
>>3122708
>>3122712
>>3122713
You people sound like you actually don't like drawing.
>>
>>3123041
Discipline to push yourself and compete things needs to be cultivated even if you like the field you're in.

And sometimes the discipline goes away and you need to reinvigorate it. Usually this is a sign of a burn out though.
>>
>>3123041
how can you tell
>>
Critiquing, discussing art, etc, is not procrastinating. Its generating knowledge. You can learn a craft all you want and focus on individual parts. But reflection is VITAL to any artist. It is what goes beyond just skill. Because skill in itself is just a tool. You find out meaning, you can understand something, not by practicing but by discussing it.
>>
>>3122700
From experience, I tried fasting from the internet for extended periods of time and it really just made me procrastinate more than I did before. This anon gets it >>3122708

>>3123041

Hey drawing is fun - drawing out of your comfort zone is seldom fun though. If you don't have the right discipline you'd just find yourself mindlessly sketching and procrastinating from what is actually going to improve your work.
>>
>>3122712
>tfw you're so undisciplined you don't even brush your teeth everyday

HELP
>>
File: 1444498001522.png (62KB, 382x395px) Image search: [Google]
1444498001522.png
62KB, 382x395px
>want to go to the gym more often
>want to learn to play volleyball
>want to learn how to draw
>want to hang out with friends
>want to learn how to cook
>want to keep up with readings and education for my career
>want to waste time on the internet
How do people have the time?
>>
>>3124190
>>3123188

there is a difference between drawing and mindless doodling, I was referring to traditional drawing and studies
>>
I browse 4chan maybe an hour or two a week now, when it used to be an hour or two a day (sometimes more). I also cut out mostly all of my social media as far as shit like facebook was concerned. The only social media I really use now is tumblr and pinterest, and that's more for browsing art / refs than socializing.

I'm happy I did, the more I come back the more I realize what a shithole this website is (and how irritating facebook can get, too). For 4chan you can generally find all the worthwhile stuff that's posted on any given slow board quite quickly once you get good at cutting through the fountains of horseshit I used to actually participate in. I usually wind up hiding like 5 or 6 worthless threads on page 1 whenever I open it. 90% of /ic/'s threads at any given time are utterly useless, generally bitter gossip, shit-talk and self pity. The 10% makes it worth visiting, absolutely, but that 10% can be found in a quick visit if you don't get bogged down in the nonsense and shitposting.

That said, cutting out social media didn't necessarily improve my art output, not yet. I've been reading more books, exercising and generally using my time on things that make me happier than social media ever did, though. Mostly anything is a better use of your time than shitposting on 4chan. I know tumblrinas and SJWs hijacked the term "toxic" but that's the best way to describe this place as soon as you start taking it seriously enough that you're browsing for hours at a time. The shitposting can be funny for a while, but eventually it just gets tiresome and exhausting when you constantly need to sift through it for anything of value. Getting used to the sort of bitterness that infests this place isn't entirely a good thing, it just kind of puts a damper on everything.
>>
>>3124349
I had maybe 10 different hobbies when I was a teen - it's what many people do but I can't recommend that approach. You sacrifice all your free time and yet stand out in nothing.
Pick 1 thing you want to be exceptional at (drawing, music, sports, crafts...) and let that trait define you. It's what will come to people's minds when they hear your name.

Few more recreational hobbies and you're good.
>>
>>3124380
But I want to be fit and strong.
>>
>>3124373
This.

Even when something good happens to this board it'll be brought down by the trolls and shitters.
>>
I wish i could quit everything what people expect of me and go hikikomori. I only want to draw and paint. Leave me.alone. i want to die.
>>
File: you are here forever.png (141KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
you are here forever.png
141KB, 500x366px
>>3122700
>Why dont you quit 4chan
thats funny
>>
>>3124451
Everyone just wants to be left alone, anon
>>
>>3122700
Because unless your goal is to work for a company you need social media to promote yourself and interact with your audience and other artists.

You'll almost never find artists where you live unless you are going to art school (which is not many people relative to how many artists there are.)
>>
>not drawing while you shitpost
NGMI
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.