[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay guys, normally I am not a fan of Apple products. I generally

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

Okay guys, normally I am not a fan of Apple products. I generally think they're overpriced and lacking a little fuctionally. That said, I'm thinking of buying an iPad pro and apple pencil. Any digital artists here who have used it and can talk me into or out of it? I would appreciate any advice.
>>
From what I've heard and tried myself it's worth every penny. It's extremely thin and light. Afaik you can even use it as display for pc display if you prefer desktop softwares like photoshop.
>>
File: 1269893534437.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1269893534437.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
I use it when I travel, and it's not bad, suffices as a tablet and medibang paint has all the tools I can ask for.
However, keep in mind that
>there are no physical buttons on this thing and the pensil designed for artists, thus all left hand actions are performed via touch-controls and it kinda sucks desu. I didn't know how much I loved the physical buttons on the Cintiq before, being able to feel which button you're pressing makes a huge difference when you're not looking.
>Also you can't multitask when you are drawing.
>such as watch a video or take look at chats(with commissoners or workgroups for feedback i guess).
>Having to switch to another screen for taking screenshots, cropping them and sending a sample feels a tad tedious.
It gets the job done though, the things I listed are merely little problems I ran into while trying to work solely on an ipad.
>>
>>3118880
Yeah I had heard about using it as a display which was one of the things that got me really thinking about it. >>3118909
Isn't there also a keyboard or something you can connect to it? Seems like that would solve the no buttons problem.
>>
File: IMG_2942.jpg (383KB, 2732x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2942.jpg
383KB, 2732x2048px
>>Also you can't multitask when you are drawing.
>such as watch a video or take look at chats(with commissoners or workgroups for feedback i guess).

it's certainly doable, ios 11 will improve this as well. I prefer just having a twitch stream in the PIP and a PDF or reference image to the left

And like the other poster mentioned there are buttons on the keyboard

OP: You're not going to get the best windows type desktop experience and the bells and whistles that come with that, but what you do get is an incredible and pretty unparalleled drawing feel with a great amount of screen estate for something so portable
>>
>>3118909
>actions are performed via touch-controls and it kinda sucks
I feel just the opposite, the touch controls are amazing. Pinch, zoom, pan, are super intuitive, its easier than drawing on paper or a PC if you are moving the canvas around.

I always multitask when I am drawing, email, chat, or keep a reference handy in Pinterest or shitpost in /ic/ on the side.

Plus the 120Hz display is fucking insane with the touch controls and pencil. The 60Hz pro is a piece of shit by comparison.

I easily get 10hrs of battery life drawing, and I draw all cozy on the couch watching TV or movies.

Also Procreate >>> medibang
>>
>>3118952
wow, interesting
>>
>>3118958
>and I draw all cozy on the couch watching TV or movies.
What if I want to draw in the street or at a life drawing class? Would it be convenient with the touch controls? I'm choosing between it and the Surface pro 4.
>>
>>3118965
lol don't get mugged
>>
File: CobuNx-XYAAppKr.jpg (82KB, 707x900px) Image search: [Google]
CobuNx-XYAAppKr.jpg
82KB, 707x900px
>>3118670
Petra Urban, a courtroom artist uses an Ipad Pro for her work.
>>
what size is good y'all?
12.9 or the 10.5 one?
>>
File: 5$AR61VRWHFLQ~NO%8OTA%7.png (21KB, 199x255px) Image search: [Google]
5$AR61VRWHFLQ~NO%8OTA%7.png
21KB, 199x255px
>>3118930
If you're talking about the smartkey one, it requires to be in standing position when you use it, but the standing position puts it at an awkward angle which is less than ideal to me. it's finnicky but if you are okay with that then go for it.
also the display for a computer function is only avaliable to macs irrc.

>>3118952
doable sure, but not windows level comfy. but i'm spoiled by two-screen action on my laptop and cintiq.

>>3118958
true, it all comes down to habits and preferences I guess. I think on-screen buttons like pic related are ideal enough, touch controls would be a plus, and the problems I listed are more evident.
>Procreate >>> medibang
I'll have to give procreate a try.I mainly draw manga and need dotgrids.
>>
>>3118987
I don't live in a crime-ridden shithole, I always walk with my phone in my hand, I have friends with ipads who use them everywhere.
>>
>>3118999
good good. art and other fine activities are always great and fulfilling in safe and pleasant environments (for the most part)

answer pls:
>>3118993
which one do you intend on getting?
>>
>>3118993
I can't imagine going any lower than 12.9, I'd feel claustrophobic. But I've used mine for a year and kind of gotten used to the luxury, I also have big hands.

If budget is a concern I think a first gen 12.9 is better than a second gen 10.5. The ram on both is equal and the increase in processing power really doesn't make a huge difference. Having enough room to work comfortably is, it's like the one way to make a big difference in your workspace.

The larger you get the less portable, so you might have to consider that
>>
>>3119010
>>3119010
Portability for something so light and easy to carry doesn't matter to me that much. literally less than a kg, or 1.5 lbs. i love the room too, so I'd probably go with the 12 inch. thanks anon!!!

Do you put protective padding on it, and if so which one did you purchase?
>>
File: IMG_2943.jpg (150KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2943.jpg
150KB, 800x800px
>>3119016

Padding is super important because it provides a stand, and just makes it feel meatier as the damn thing is so slim.

I got one of these cheapass knockoff brands, literally dirt cheap. still does the job after nearly a year. If you want something sturdier I'd probably suggest Targus, but I feel like the markup in this market is insane

I also use a matte screen protector which is super important to get a bit of tooth to the screen, also dirt cheap. You won't like the feeling of drawing on glass. The backside is that the protector creates a slight iridescent effect, you get used to it. They can be tricky to apply since they're extremely sticky, you should google a guide when the time comes
>>
>>3119028
I literally hate any sort of screen glass protectors, but I'll look into it. *shudders*. This isn't a phone - the stakes to keep it nice looking are higher, so I'm convinced that I'll need some sort of good protection for it. Even if I'll have to sacrifice some delicious display clarity.

I did the same thing with my phone, I purchased a cheap case that looks like the $50 silicon case on apple for only $.01 and works just fine.

Anyways, thank you so much for your time and help.
>>
>>3118993
Definitely 12.9, the 10.5 is way too small. Multitasking feels super tight. With 12.9 i can comfortably draw with half the screen as a ref.

The battery life on 12.9 is substantially better. If you splurge and go Smart Keyboard, the 10.5 version also feels cramped.

>>3119028
I honestly don't bring mine outside much, I use the Smart Keyboard which is a shitty stand, but useful to keep the screen protected and comfortably shitpost on /ic/. One thing to keep in mind is that the cover weight gets substantially heavier as size increases.

Lastly, get an Apple USB C charger to fast charge your iPad in a couple hours, the included brick is only good for over night charging.
>>
ipads are cancer for drawing. I bought one and I felt it was expensive and shit.
>>
>>3119034
Matte protectors are a kind of thin plastic film, not glass. The edge outward has a miniscule tooth that gives traction to your pencil. That's the reason you get one, because it feels all wonky drawing directly on the ipad screen glass. I've heard of people getting used to that but I've drawn traditionally for 15 years and really need *that* feel. A bonus is that it makes it sound just like paper too.

If there's anything else you need to know just ask.

As for apps most people recommend Procreate. I use it but think the UI is too minimal for comfort, like you have to click an icon each time to open the color wheel which gets annoying in long painting sessions. It's good for line drawing though and is super optimized. the brush engine is not spectacular even though it's capable and better than most apps. if you're used to Photoshop or Painter and need a more expansive, painterly brush engine, you'll like Paintstorm. I love it solely because I can spend a whole day making and fine tuning the perfect brush
>>
>>3119046
then you're not using it to its full potential
>>
>>3119051
People who say this are usually those who've only drawn traditionally and haven't seen how laggy digital drawing tends to be, or people with $2000 cintiqs

It's obviously another question if you need a proper/ stationary desktop setup, in which case a Surface or Cintiq would be better. But they all pretty much have worse lag and parallax, and you have to completely ignore the portability factor to consider the ipad really shit by comparison
>>
OP here, thanks for the feedback. I think I'm pretty much sold on it. I can get a refurbished 12.9 inch for around $650, plus the apple pen for $100, so $750 is not bad at all, actually cheaper than a lot of the other options I've been considering. Sounds like it can do everything i need it to. They have a display at the nearby best buy and i was excited to try it in person but the pencil wasnt paired to the ipad and their apple rep wasnt in so they said there was nothing they could do lol
>>
I wish that Apple and Samsung would release bigger tablets, so we don't need to deal with Cintiq bullshit price.
>>
>>3119205
I'm willing to bet apple is working on something that works with their stylus, they'd be crazy not to
>>
What about palm rejection? I'm left handed and rest the side on my hand when I'm drawing, will it be a problem?
>>
>>3118965
I have the surface pro 4. I highly recommend buying wacom's bamboo ink pen if you do choose to go with the surface pro.

the bamboo ink makes all the difference....don't buy the microsoft pen.
>>
>>3119235
I agree with the bamboo ink over the microsoft pen but i wasnt really happy with the bamboo ink either. I did test a the galaxy book recently though and was really surprised that the S Pen was better than both.
>>
>>3119202
That's a great price, if you do choose it I wish you the best of luck.

>>3119205
It's almost certain they will, they're just cornering various brackets of the consumer market first

>>3119225
I think it's something that depends on the app coding, but on the better ones I throw large parts of my hand &wrist around the place without a problem, even both hands
>>
Use Procreate or Sketchbook Pro (the old version if you can somehow get it not the new free version with paid tools), these 2 apps are fantastic and can stand head to head with desktop apps.

>>3119235
You can only buy these at Wacom's site at the moment? I'm tempted to give these a try even though I'm perfectly fine with the Surface Pro 4's stylus.
>>
>>3119295
i bought it from wacom yes. I never could get used to the activation force needed with the surface pen. the wacom is not perfect yet but it's way better then the surface pen.

also what greatly helped is that you have two buttons and i've found a way to map each button to brush tool and eraser tool which really made my workflow improve.
>>
>>3119202
Have fun drawing man, hope you enjoy your portable station.
>>
huh? how did this thread sink to the bottom of the board so quickly? i thought /ic/ was supposed to be slow.
bump. some good infos here
>>
They say the responsiveness and line quality has improved a lot in the new ipad (10.5) but i'm not sure.
>>
>>3118909
>can't multitask
nigga, I watch videos in pip and/or swipe them off screen to listen to the audio all the time while drawing, the fuck are you talking about?
chat too, just have the vid in pip, and the chat in slide over

and who even uses the physical buttons on a tablet
i have h610 and intuos 5 touch and i have not touched that shit once
>>
>>3118965
get the 2017 sp with the new pen or don't even bother, the old ones are shit for drawing
>>
>>3118670
Many people become dead in The Congo because of Apple. Don't buy it. Pick up a pencil.
>>
>>3122312
>Apple helps population control in poor, overpopulated countries that have no means of feeding or otherwise sustaining said population, thus not only ensuring a better future for the country, but also helping preserve its endangered fauna, as the starving population mainly subsists on bushmeat
Based Apple.
>>
I have a 9.7" iPad Pro and I like using it.

I'll probably get the new ones when I have the funds

I really do recommend getting it as the Apple Pencil is super good.
>>
>>3118909
>having to switch to another screen for taking screenshots
Huh? It must be a lot easier to just screenshot using the ipad and cropping it in the native images app if needed
>>
File: IMG_4061.jpg (133KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4061.jpg
133KB, 1536x2048px
>Got iPad Pro
>Got Medibang
>Only thing I lack is stylus. And can't get Apple Pencil atm.
>Resort to drawing with fingers
Any good alternatives to Apple Pencil out there? Pic related my test drawing.
>>
>>3123414
Painting symbol colours, kek.
>>
File: IMG_2254.png (3MB, 2048x2732px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2254.png
3MB, 2048x2732px
I use it every day bro, worth it.
>>
What's better, the iPad pro 10.5 with the 120hz display or the 12.9 with the large screen?
>>
>>3123764
Why not just get the 12.9 model with the 120hz display?
>>
>>3123764
Large screen
>>
File: sketch-1504512324632.png (238KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
sketch-1504512324632.png
238KB, 1080x1920px
>>3123764
Go to a store and test them. I used to think that 12.9 is definitely better, but then I tried them and now I'm really considering the new 10.5 one. It's also cheaper.

>>3123414
This is what I drew in the default sketching app on my Sony phone with my finger.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.