[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is being a perfectionist the best way to get good fast? I scrapped

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: 1492497543424.jpg (55KB, 736x734px) Image search: [Google]
1492497543424.jpg
55KB, 736x734px
Is being a perfectionist the best way to get good fast? I scrapped my entire bargue drawing today because it wasn't perfect and I feel like doing it again but better. What are limits? How can you push without getting burned out?
>>
Anyone can scrap a project. The ones at the top finish what they start (i.e. create viable products).
>>
I find it's much more rewarding to finish pieces the best I can, even if I can see problems with them. I can always find mistakes in my work, but I try to learn from them. There is value in pieces you may dislike because there is usually something about them you do like. You have to like the process as much as the finished product.
If you want to learn quickly you have to surround yourself with others with who also make art. It makes for friendly competition.
>>
>>3114290
Perfectionism is a form of dukkha
>>
>work going well
>realize you fucked up
>hang it on the wall anyway
>stare at it for days accumulating insight on how you fucked up
>>
No i personally don't think so because you gotta understand not every drawing will be perfect or fit your standards.
I say accept the flaws you see in a drawing and improve them in your next drawings. Best way to get good fast, keep going and keep improving on yourself.
>>
The perfect is the enemy of the good. - Voltaire
>>
>>3114290
>Is being a perfectionist the best way to get good fast?

No, it's the worst. Perfectionists usually have the hardest time improving and they improve at the slowest rate because they never finish things and get demotivated way too quickly.
>>
>>3114380
careful with this though, it burns the image of your art into your mind because you see it so often
>>
I had some really good advice the other day:

People don't remember perfectionists. People remember the person that got things done.

The idea that in the time it takes to make something actually look perfect, someone else has finished a piece and already moved onto the next.
Not to say there's anything wrong with perfection. Perfection leads to accuracy and visa versa.
However one must realize in the grand scheme of things, it's way less efficient to be a perfectionist than a fairly accurate artist who gets things done.

Come to the conclusion that unless you absolutely enjoy having to achieve perfection (photorealist artists), you're spending more time worrying about perfection than just accepting it won't be perfect and getting it done.

I'd say, worry about perfection and accuracy in studies as a means to understand the 'shortcuts' you can pull for actual paid work. Be the artist that can consistently get things done on time.
>>
File: art-and-fear-page-29.jpg (375KB, 798x791px) Image search: [Google]
art-and-fear-page-29.jpg
375KB, 798x791px
>>
>>3114484
it really doesn't. draw more.
>>
>>3114529
That's possibly the dumbest thing anyone's ever said on /ic/.
>>
>>3114503
I'd say the lack of perfectionism is a huge problem in commercial art. So much of it just looks like dogshit, because people don't take the time to work out the kinks.

Sure, many artists may become successful by creating a lot of mediocre art, but many of the artists that truly stand out from the crowd are perfectionists.
>>
>>3114606
> i have no idea what OP is talking about but i'm going to post a long-winded reply anyways
>>
>>3114290
No matter how hard you try at something, you may still fail to reach your goals cus you are human and not a machine.

It's more important that you try your absolute hardest and see your mistakes, then improve.

You'll never be perfect. No artists and I say this with confidence of steel, NO artist is perfect.

Just try hard anon. Trying is all anyone can ever do.
>>
>>3114319
>Anyone can scrap a project. The ones at the top finish what they start (i.e. create viable products).

This. Literally the only reason why no one makes it is this.
>>
>>3114290
>get good fast?

YOU'RE YOUR OWN GRAVE, ANON

YOUR OWN GRAVE
>>
>>3114900
sorry but i dont want to become good in my 40s
>>
>>3114290
In my experience, perfectionism holds you back. You obsess over little mistakes the whole way until you either scrap it or your final product ends up completely soulless.

Focus on finishing your drawings, even if you think they suck. Then you can step back and assess where you need to improve next time. Scrapping art before you're done sticks you in a cycle where you never finish anything because it's not "good enough".
>>
OP here, I should have said it in a different way. What I meant is asking if you should be a perfectionist when doing studies, literally going for the best outcome possible. Of course it's much harder to be a perfectionist if you have to produce work for clients, practically impossible.
>>
>>3114606
>but many of the artists that truly stand out from the crowd are perfectionists.
[citation needed]

Normies tend to swarm the photorealist painters and draftsmen. But, talk to any artist about who they look up to, and many of those are artists are definitely not perfectionists.

Just ask the holy trinity: Craig Mullins, Jaime Jones, and Ruan Jia.
Their work is no where near "perfect" but the techniques they use and the way they portray certain designs and compositions create the illusion of "perfection."
Mullin's attention to shape and textures.
Jone's attention to brush-strokes, values, lighting.
Jia's attention to color variance, delicate value transitions, and form.

They're not "perfect" by any means, but rather are accurate enough in order to create a convincing piece that comes across as "perfect."
>>
>>3114912
people that fantasize about "getting good" or think there is some kind of concrete moment in which you transcend having to practice will never make it. You have to want to practice because you enjoy the tedium of making art. Otherwise youre wasting your time forcing yourself to churn out half hearted bullshit because I GOTTA GET GOOD FAST DONT WANNA BE 40. Even the greatest matters were still practicing and learning the day they died.
>>
>>3115262
Are you fucking retarded? What does being a perfectionist have to do with having perfect work? You can be a beginner and be a perfectionist, likewise you can be an advanced artist and be a perfectionist or not.
>>
>>3114290
Slow steady practice is the best thing, an hour or two a day. Eat plenty of fruit.
>>
The point of a Bargue is to be perfect. If your Bargue isn't perfect, start over.
>>
>>3114290
No man, perfectionism is the worst enemy for an artist.
Maybe second worst, after pride.

The thing is, no idea is good enough and no amount of mistakes low enough for you to actually finish something, and if you do, you'll be miles behind someone who doesn't care about the quality that much, but beats you with sheer mileage.

Watch this, nigga draws terribly but has a point here.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wl--FkDfiI
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRtV-ugIT0k
>>
>>3114290
>being a perfectionist the best way to get good fast?

Not really, it's more about grinding fundamentals and giving yourself projects. If you are so much of a perfectionist that you lose hours and hours trying to get some irrelevant shit correct, then it's no good at all.

Maybe if you can focus your perfectionism into fundies, then it's probably an excellent trait to have, alongside drive.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.